OP
D

Derek Asbury

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'll never use it again and will post the brand I used cause makeing my all raise from normal levels to 16.2 could of killed my corals I'm sure had I not tested and fixed quickly

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You DKH spiked I thought. It is easy to over dose it. If you dose reef buffer that can raise alk quickly, ph buffer too but not as quick

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which lfs do you go to?
I used to frequent the old Neptune's store in Mountain view when i worked over there. they sold buffered natural sea water that i used soley. Now I only have a local pet shop with limited supplies and fish + inverts.
I try to get to LICENSE TO KRILL AQUATICS in santa cruz monthly now. will be there next friday.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'll never use it again and will post the brand I used cause makeing my all raise from normal levels to 16.2 could of killed my corals I'm sure had I not tested and fixed quickly
For sure, I bet that would even hurt your skin if you were in your tank lol. The ammonia I deff think is the api test, who ever said that was spot on with the false positives.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea the ph isnt as important but 7.4 versus 8 is quite the difference. its not a linear scale but rather a logarithmic. each 1.0 value increases or decreases by a power of 10...

other than that, doing too much, too quick will really screw things up.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much did you dose at one time? usually they need to be dripped quite slowly, and less than 10ml per day to get where you need to be. i use Bionic 2 part buffer without issues.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is seachem buffe h, it will still increase alk somewhat

Marine Buffer® will safely raise marine pH to 8.3. It will not raise pH above 8.3 even if inadvertently overdosed. Marine Buffer® is a blended product and is not just sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate, commonly sold as a substitute. Such products can raise pH to dangerous levels if not used properly. Marine Buffer® contains sodium, magnesium, calcium, strontium, and potassium salts of carbonate, bicarbonate, chloride, sulfate, and borate. Use Seachem’s MultiTest™ Marine pH & Alkalinity to check pH and total alkalinity. Use Marine Trace™ to restore the proper level of trace and feed NutriDiet® Marine Flakes for thriving, healthy saltwater fish.

OP
OP
D

Derek Asbury

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much did you dose at one time? usually they need to be dripped quite slowly, and less than 10ml per day to get where you need to be. i use Bionic 2 part buffer without issues.
I was useing a pH buffer trying to raise my pH and I dosed for 50 gallons just to be on the safe side in my 120 gallon system and it spesficly says you cant over dose this stuff supposed to raise pH to 8.2

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph buffer will raise the alk 1/Meg/l along w ph

Seachem
Add 5 g (1 level teaspoon) for each 80 L (20 US gallons). For precise dosing, use the Seachem Digital Spoon Scale. Dissolve in at least one cup of freshwater. This dose will also raise alkalinity by about 1 meq/L. Add daily until pH stabilizes at 8.3. This will take from a day to a week, depending on original pH and alkalinity. Thereafter, use biweekly or monthly to maintain a pH of 8.3.

It will not overdose ph as it says. But nothing about alk

OP
OP
D

Derek Asbury

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph buffer will raise the alk 1/Meg/l along w ph

Seachem
Add 5 g (1 level teaspoon) for each 80 L (20 US gallons). For precise dosing, use the Seachem Digital Spoon Scale. Dissolve in at least one cup of freshwater. This dose will also raise alkalinity by about 1 meq/L. Add daily until pH stabilizes at 8.3. This will take from a day to a week, depending on original pH and alkalinity. Thereafter, use biweekly or monthly to maintain a pH of 8.3.

It will not overdose ph as it says. But nothing about alk
That is the stuff I used and I did a half dose trying to be safe and it rose my all by like 6 points from 10 to 16.2 that seems like alot more damage then help

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like their products but it is a curve to learn what works. Randy has a great reef calculator to help you dosing.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

If you want to get ph up a bit make sure you have good agitation to maximize O2 exchange it will help the Ph.

OP
OP
D

Derek Asbury

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like their products but it is a curve to learn what works. Randy has a great reef calculator to help you dosing.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

If you want to get ph up a bit make sure you have good agitation to maximize O2 exchange it will help the Ph.
I have a pretty good protein skimmer running and two power heads and I have two connected sumps with two pumps connecting them along with water bridges to stabilize water levels in case of a malfunction of a pump so I'm not really concerned with aeration alot of surface area and water movement

OP
OP
D

Derek Asbury

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is back to normal range after I did another large water change all my levels went back to normal ranges I'm comfortable with except for my ammonia being .25 I hope it's an error

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are my manners, I don’t know.

I did not even send a warm welcome, we all went right to the fact. Ammonia gets attention

Welcome to........ #WelcometoR2R

Post in meet and greet for us to get to know you if you like

upload_2019-3-22_18-20-32.gif

OP
OP
D

Derek Asbury

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are my manners, I don’t know.

I did not even send a warm welcome, we all went right to the fact. Ammonia gets attention

Welcome to........ #WelcometoR2R

Post in meet and greet for us to get to know you if you like

upload_2019-3-22_18-20-32.gif
Thanks for the welcome yeah I haven't had a ammonia reading in forever and never without a death to cause it

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a 120g for 5 years and you don't make your own water?!?!? Seems like you need to give yourself the gift of convenience and buy a RODI filter!

OP
OP
D

Derek Asbury

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a fish store that sells water so it was just as easy to pick it up there lol and also then I wouldn't have to mix and aerate the water myself

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back