OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Fin so far so good in my direct neighborhood. Looks like the strongest is going to miss us to the west by about 60 miles. Our worst weather is still yet to come.

OoAtk5U.png

I put a blue dot on the map here to show where we're at. We're close to getting the worst we'll see in that incoming band.

So far only lost power for 10 minutes. Got everything ready to go with the generator, extension cords...etc

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay cool Amoo! I’m a bit farther east than you, but we’re still gonna get some of it!

Hope all goes well for you.

for sure Mike, same to y'all. I have a wide open yard and was outside about 20 mins checking on things. We're gusting between 50-75 currently sustaining about 25-30. Always a "fun" time when you take a step forward and wind pushes you two steps backwards.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I say this tentatively, but it looks like we're in the clear. Winds outside are down to about a sustained 15-20 with gusts around 25-30MPH. That's clearly still enough to bring down a tree at some point and knock out power, but we may have made it through this in pretty good shape.

At sunrise this morning I need to make the trip up to Ocilla where the clinic is which is 30 mins away and Fitzgerald to check on Mom and Dad's. You can see Fitz on the map I posted above. I know parts of both Ocilla and Fitz are without power so I'll be bringing my chainsaw and my AR-15 along with probably carrying a full size 9mm as opposed to a sub compact. I realize a lot of people don't understand, but when you are in these no power, limited law situations, people tend to get stupid. Especially if they think they can break into an empty animal clinic and raid the drugs.

I took Ruuski back outside about 20 mins ago. He wasn't thrilled about being carried through the house, he hates being held, but he's now back on his throne on the porch. Conditions are improving to the point where I don't have to worry about him outside come daybreak.

Hopefully there's not too many major limbs down at Mom and Dad's (22 large pecans on the property) and I can be back home by about 10ish and get some sleep. Knowing Murphy though he'll probably have other plans for me.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I say this tentatively, but it looks like we're in the clear. Winds outside are down to about a sustained 15-20 with gusts around 25-30MPH. That's clearly still enough to bring down a tree at some point and knock out power, but we may have made it through this in pretty good shape.

At sunrise this morning I need to make the trip up to Ocilla where the clinic is which is 30 mins away and Fitzgerald to check on Mom and Dad's. You can see Fitz on the map I posted above. I know parts of both Ocilla and Fitz are without power so I'll be bringing my chainsaw and my AR-15 along with probably carrying a full size 9mm as opposed to a sub compact. I realize a lot of people don't understand, but when you are in these no power, limited law situations, people tend to get stupid. Especially if they think they can break into an empty animal clinic and raid the drugs.

I took Ruuski back outside about 20 mins ago. He wasn't thrilled about being carried through the house, he hates being held, but he's now back on his throne on the porch. Conditions are improving to the point where I don't have to worry about him outside come daybreak.

Hopefully there's not too many major limbs down at Mom and Dad's (22 large pecans on the property) and I can be back home by about 10ish and get some sleep. Knowing Murphy though he'll probably have other plans for me.

Very glad all is well. Ruuski is one lucky fellow.

I am not a gun person per se, but I get your point. Looters are already high on stupidity. Why take any chances, right?

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very glad all is well. Ruuski is one lucky fellow.

I am not a gun person per se, but I get your point. Looters are already high on stupidity. Why take any chances, right?

I mean as somebody who still clubs people, I figured you'd understand :p

caveman-holding-a-club-vector-18883995.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean as somebody who still clubs people, I figured you'd understand :p

caveman-holding-a-club-vector-18883995.jpg

Absolutely. I live near Manhattan now, but I grew up upstate in farm country. Everyone had guns, so I am used to it. Used to watch people shoot animals everywhere. Sometimes even from their homes and cars.

For me, I am good with a club for sure. I find these days I prefer an aluminum bat. Much lighter on the swing!

Last edited:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Hopefully there's not too many major limbs down at Mom and Dad's (22 large pecans on the property) and I can be back home by about 10ish and get some sleep. Knowing Murphy though he'll probably have other plans for me."

After Hurricane Isabel in '05 (?) We tried storing a 60' pecan tree on the back of the house. Nope, didn't work so well.
Lots of blue tarps and a lot more blue sky in an old established neighborhood.

Hope your parents had better luck. Glad you made it ok.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news that you came out of the hurricane without any damage. It woke me up early Thursday morning and I was out shopping in the sun by that afternoon. No damage here other than a widowmaker fell out of a half dead tulip poplar tree I've been needing to cut down.

Even greater news that we will finally have a reef tank after 12 pages of guinea fowl...

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news that you came out of the hurricane without any damage. It woke me up early Thursday morning and I was out shopping in the sun by that afternoon. No damage here other than a widowmaker fell out of a half dead tulip poplar tree I've been needing to cut down.

Even greater news that we will finally have a reef tank after 12 pages of guinea fowl...

#1 Are you talking crab about Ruuski? Wanna fight?

#2 Seriously, I'm glad you guys made it through the storm okay. I know SC and NC actually had more power outages than Florida and Georgia at one point. I'm glad everybody is safe and sound. The fact this storm has at this point claimed less than a dozen lives is amazing, and I'm very grateful and thankful to hear from everybody I "know" in the Carolinas.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 Are you talking crab about Ruuski? Wanna fight?

#2 Seriously, I'm glad you guys made it through the storm okay. I know SC and NC actually had more power outages than Florida and Georgia at one point. I'm glad everybody is safe and sound. The fact this storm has at this point claimed less than a dozen lives is amazing, and I'm very grateful and thankful to hear from everybody I "know" in the Carolinas.

Oh no crab talk here. I used to have over a dozen chickens in the back yard. They had a coop and fenced in run, because we have foxes and hawks... and chickens aren't much brighter than Guinea fowl. My last rooster was actually the best bird I owned. Got rid of them before I could really tame him, but he didn't have a mean feather on him. Great big cuckoo maran. I could come and go in the run as much as I wanted and he paid me no attention. When I spread cracked corn or wheat and barley mix, he would cluck at the hens and made sure they knew food was there, and then stand guard and never touch any of it until they were done. Absolutely the best qualities you can get in a rooster.

FB_IMG_1539410098864.jpg

They slept outside... built a nice 4'x8' coop with roosting bars, tin roof, nest box with external access so I dont have to climb in to get eggs. Nope, they prefered to sleep outside, in the rain.

The only problem I had with that rooster is he crowed at 5am sharp, and didn't stop until around 8. If I get chickens again, I'll probably stick with the same breed, and get one of those elastic no crow collars.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guinea fowl are kinda funny and VERY different from Chickens. They don't get as "friendly" as chickens as they are a free range bird and don't do well in pens. In fact they're known to get quite nasty if you keep them in pens. They are best kept in groups and do really well like that.

All that said, poor Ruuski doesn't know he's a guinea. He honestly thinks he's a person. He alternates between sleeping at my house and sleeping at my neighbors. The Guinea flock there won't have anything to do with him and he won't have anything to do with them.

They're similar to Chickens, but much more like Turkeys. They're not calm, they're normally not as nice...etc. The lesson I learned here accidentally is don't raise them singularly. He was supposed to be part of a flock of three. His friends weren't smart enough to hold up their end of the bargain.....stuff happens. Then you end up with a disaster bird like Ruuski who honestly doesn't know he's a bird....

Back