Amoo's Dream Pasture

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
681A8686-BEE7-466C-A489-BAF64EE08E17.jpeg

Yeah, I don’t have a great editor at work or @Rakie ’s doodle skills, but you get it.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright as promised, welcoming committee

If you're getting welcomed a second time, deal with it. If I forgot you, twas not on purpose. Murphy has kept be busy even though @Maritimer is supposed to be keep an eye on that guy.

@Fin you didn't get officially welcomed since you asked such a silly question like will there be beer. Welcome.
@TherealplexiG Hello, innnnnnfiiiiidellll
@Fudsey everybody is always invited, but this is definitely where all the cool kids are now :p
@Chrisfish welcome to the madhouse. Your options for cooking are the stove, grill or firepit. There's plenty of pecan if you feel froggy.
@mta_morrow I know you're going to officially be on break for a while, but we'll be here clowning around when you get back. Get it CLOWNING, your avata.....nevermind.
@Crabs Mcjones I'm still not sure about you. You only showed up when the alcohol bottle came out, but I guess you can stay for a while.
@blackizzz thank you and welcome. I should be updating the equipment list on the front page here soon since I have everything BUT the tank at the moment....
@Janci the skimmer cup thing seemed like a really good idea until it wasn't. Oh well. Welcome.
@ReefInskeep can't remember if you've been welcomed ot not, but you're getting another one. Guineas are by far the dumbest animal I have ever been around, but they are hilarious. If Ruuskis two friends were still with us, I'm sure he'd be much more like a regular guinea and shy and running around eating bugs all day. Instead he craps on my backporch and stalks the back window. Oh well he's fun.
@fabutahoun everybody is welcome, if we allow Brits like @najer I don't see why we can't have Jordanians as well.
@Radman73 I've been looking for what I felt were the perfect dimensions for years. After a lot of back and forth, I'm pretty sure this is it. 48" makes for cheaper lighting options then 60", still solid deapth but not too much that it makes LEDs a hassle and at 20" high I should still get a lagoon like effect.
@Dirtrider225 Thanks, it's been a labor of love and I'll be glad to be done with it...soon. A little more backsplash and some caulking and it's officially done. Welcome.

Dang I was WAAAAY behind. Oh well.
Wow does that mean I get to cook in the new kitchen? And hang out with Ruuski:D

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow does that mean I get to cook in the new kitchen? And hang out with Ruuski:D

Yes but those two activities will be happening in separate areas. If you choose to grill and hang out with Ruuski that can be accomplished at the same time. If you would though please make sure he doesn't fly in....

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So outside of @Rakie and @gig 'em unless you follow me outside of this thread you don't know how I feel about the current LEDs on the market in regards to my favorites, preferences...etc.

We are going out of town tomorrow as we are headed down to the UF game vs LSU this weekend, but I went ahead and ordered some new LEDs for the upgraded tank.

Pictures will be provided when they arrive next week when we return. What I will do later tonight though after we finish packing...etc is sit down and go in deapth about why I went with what I went with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm as prepped as prep can be, now we wait for the storm. I'm far enough inland that we don't expect structural damage unless we get a random spin off tornado, but that can happen anywhere. We're assuming it's going to be like Irma last year and we'll probably be without power for a number of days. The generator is ready to go and I've got about 30 gallons of gas, so we should be in good shape.

---

So before I left for Gainesville I mentioned I had ordered new lights. I've been on the LED train for quite a few years now and have found a very good happy medium using LEDs with the Aquatic Life T5 Hubrid fixture. I would eventually like to be able to go solid LED, and may make that switch eventually. If you follow me in different parts of this forum or have seen me post, you probably know I've been very excited about the new KessilX lights. I like where Kessil seems to be going with the updating fixtures and attachable things like a diffuser, focus lens...etc. One of the other opinions I have held very strongly onto is that Orphek has the best light on the market at the moment, they were just too far out of my price range.

So research time happened. I was estimating for full coverage of my 48x24 tank I would need 4 of the new Kessils to really feel comfortable. We don't know yet but can guess probably about $400-450 a piece so I'd be looking at $1600-$1800

Next I looked at the Orphek Atlantik V4. The recommended spread for these is 40"x24" and I wouldn't feel comfortable without two. These things are a little bit oddly shaped for a 48" tank as they are about 24 1/4" long. This means two would definitely hand over the ends of the tank and from the pictures I've seen looks a little silly. Two of these at $900 a piece would be $1800.

After that I took a look at the Atlantik Compacts. The recommended spread for these is 30"x24" and they come in at a length of 13 1/2". This means I could fit as many as 3 over my tank 13.5x3= 40.5" without it looking silly. $600 a piece so $1200 for 2.

So what did I get?

orphek-atlantik-v4-compact.png

Atlantik-compact-V4-LED-Ratio-Map--1138x1060.jpg

https://orphek.com/atlantik-v4-compact-aquarium-led-lighting/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lighting thing needs further discussion:

The first thing I wanted to know was what was the difference between a Compact V4 Gen 1 vs Gen 2. It turns out the difference is simply the wifi module inside the unit. Everything else on the light is exactly the same. So I contacted Orphek and asked them what it would cost for an upgraded module. $16 shipped. This means I could order the Gen 1 for $600 vs the Gen 2 for $670 and spend $615.

I was originally going to just get the Gen 1 lights so I had already placed an order for 2 of those along with the Gen 1 gateway, then realized at some point in the future I may want to add the third light and by then the Gen 1s will probably be sold out. I called BRS and asked them if they could swap my order to a Gen 2 gateway with the Gen 1s and ordered the 2 wifi modules from Orphek.

---

We also need to look further at why I felt the Compacts are actually a better light for my tank the the regular Atlantik. For this we need to get nerdy.

The Atlantik has 78 dual chip LEDs @ 211W so 78x2 = 156 LEDs. 211W/156LEDs = 1.35W/LED

The Compact has 42 dual chip LEDs @ 160W so 42x2= 84LEDs. 160W/84LEDs = 1.90W/LED

We also already established that I would need 2 Atlantiks to cover my tank which means over 48" I would have 312 total LEDs and a total of 411W

If I were to eventually go with 3 Compacts that would cover 40" and I would have 252 total LEDs and a total of 480W

I ordered 2 as I still plan to use my T5 Hybrids until I can get a good idea of the spread of these things. 2 Compacts gives me 168LEDs and a total of 320W.

---

So where do we go from here?

For starters we're going to need to see what kind of spread we get with 2 Compacts spaced equally above the tank. We'll be checking things like spread, hotspots...etc as I do have a PAR meter.

We have the potential to eventually order 1 additional Compact if I start having shading issues as my tank grows out. I would most likely do this while at the same time taking the T5s offline.

Back