Amoo's Dream Pasture

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great if you've got the space for it - I think I'd want a phone call before that shipped!

It went from the 425 to the 425xl or something like that, so it just got more front to back depth (25" instead of 21"). But yeah, if it went from a 4' tank to a 5, or 6' that might be an unfortunate surprise

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad with the good. It's been 5 days since I learned about the broken second tank and reached out to Paul at IM.

His response:

I apologize for not updating you and I understand your frustration. I’ve spoken to our logistics department and they informed me they are backed up, but this still doesn’t solve our solution. I informed them to ship out your aquarium first thing tomorrow for us and they will get it done.

Again I do apologize for not updating with anything and my team will be working on this.

Needless to say I was not exactly happy about that. My response:

I realize there have been issues, and I was happy to hear from you immediately once we both found out that the 2nd tank was damaged during shipment, but considering this order was placed on September 17th, and it's now October 23, 5 days since you guys were informed tank #2 was damaged, I find this to be a bit disrespectful. Busy or not, the last 5 days should have been ironing out the details on how to fix this and getting a new tank shipped out, not just waiting until you guys have time to get to it. That's honestly extremely disappointing. A new tank should have been shipped the next day after you had a chance to talk with logistics and fix the packing issues, let alone 5 days later.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable at this point?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad with the good. It's been 5 days since I learned about the broken second tank and reached out to Paul at IM.

His response:

I agree with you. Much nicer then I would be, but I am a jarhead with no sense of decency lol.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. Much nicer then I would be, but I am a jarhead with no sense of decency lol.

I was a squid and got used to dealing with you guys, so I had to learn how to speak in little words that weren't provocative :p

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my day today, I needed that laugh.

I've always enjoyed the banter between fellow service members. Let somebody who wasn't a service member make jokes though and it turns into 4.5 branches (Gotta count the CG kinda) against 1.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a squid and got used to dealing with you guys, so I had to learn how to speak in little words that weren't provocative :p

It was a bit harsher than I would have written, but definitely not as harsh as others would have been on their second attempt at a tank. FWIW, when I had my issues with JBJ there were several delays and they were always out of stock waiting for shipments from China. The whole process took 7 months and the third tank was the charm. Throughout, I never expressed any anger. It was a different approach for me (I am generally very impatient). My feeling was as long as I was eventually taken care of, the only loss was time. Plus, my return to reefing was partially about striving to be more patient. It was a real test. The fact that they upgraded me to a larger tank or a newer model each time really helped me stay at peace. In the end I am extremely happy with the working tank I received. And it was about $600 greater in value than my original purchase. Worth the wait.

My best advice to you is IM seems like a solid company. Stay patient and they will take care of you. Perhaps next time you correspond, when you feel emotion, translate that into asking for any way they can compensate you for the delay. They have tons of small products and maybe you can get some tossed in. I always felt my being patient with JBJ led to the upgrades I received.

EDIT: I note their response to you was crap and certainly, directly led to your response.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a bit harsher than I would have written, but definitely not as harsh as others would have been on their second attempt at a tank. FWIW, when I had my issues with JBJ there were several delays and they were always out of stock waiting for shipments from China. The whole process took 7 months and the third tank was the charm. Throughout, I never expressed any anger. It was a different approach for me (I am generally very impatient). My feeling was as long as I was eventually taken care of, the only loss was time. Plus, my return to reefing was partially about striving to be more patient. It was a real test. The fact that they upgraded me to a larger tank or a newer model each time really helped me stay at peace. In the end I am extremely happy with the working tank I received. And it was about $600 greater in value than my original purchase. Worth the wait.

My best advice to you is IM seems like a solid company. Stay patient and they will take care of you. Perhaps next time you correspond, when you feel emotion, translate that into asking for any way they can compensate you for the delay. They have tons of small products and maybe you can get some tossed in. I always felt my being patient with JBJ led to the upgrades I received.

EDIT: I note their response to you was crap and certainly, directly led to your response.

Is it bad that, that was my nice and calm response :(

I agree with you in principle though, I have tried to stay positive and nice throughout.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always enjoyed the banter between fellow service members. Let somebody who wasn't a service member make jokes though and it turns into 4.5 branches (Gotta count the CG kinda) against 1.
Hey! Us puddle pirates are more like .75. Sheesh, the disrespect I tell ya!!!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

His response:

Agreed, right to the point without aggressive tone.
Now in the next message you add that you are on R2R and millions are reading the evolution of this thread where now all are waiting and reading over and over again the IM issues to ship out a new tank.

Just a thought... not aggressive and very informative.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair, you sparked a brain dump with something in your build thread and I kind of threw up all over the place last week :)

You know, that was a good thing.:) Thank you. I really like different perspectives, that helps me make decisions.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK UPDATE!!!!

So I had a chance to speak with Paul today. Twice actually. He called me once as I was in the middle of something and had to be brief. I called him back to talk a bit more in depth.

So for starters he was telling me that of all the tanks they have shipped they've only had 2 damaged ones so far. He was actually pretty worked up (not at me) and upset about the fact he figured out Roadrunner used a third party shipper to relay my tank out to me, which they don't tell them. He was telling me anytime they have breaks it's always involves a third party shipper. As a result he will be sending the new tank Fedex/UPS.

He originally called me because they actually shipped me their "spare" 100-INT and won't have any more in until next week. The only thing they had in was a 100-EXT which I told him was not something I was interested in. He wanted to make sure I was cool waiting until next week for the new tank to ship out.

Apparently he's been "going off" on people (his words) for the last day or so explaining to folks there that they can't put themselves in this kind of situation with their stock levels (they thought they had a spare 100-int, turned out it was an EXT). He also had an upcoming meeting with their shipping company (I'm assuming RR) and he was going to voice his displeasure there as well.

After all that he let me know they were going to be sending me a care package as well as a Wave. I had no idea what that was and was driving at the time so I told him that was cool. I looked it up when I got him and saw it was their DC wavemaker and considering I already have 2 MP40s as well as a Gyre, it's not really something I would use. So I shot him an email and thanked him for the offer. I let him know, that I appreciated it very much, but it honestly wasn't something I would use and it made no sense for them to send me something that expensive for it to sit in a box. I told him the only two things I could even use would be their new ATO system (which I've been interested in trying) or even one of their frag racks.

Now let me be real here. He offered to send me a $100 pump. I let him know I honestly wouldn't use it, but could use a $140 ATO system or a $40-$70 frag rack. So of coarse he sent me the frag rack right? Nope. He shot me an email back and let me know he'd swap the pump for the ATO system.

---

Needless to say I continue to be impressed. You could tell by the conversation we had, that he was frustrated with people on his end and was really going to bat to make sure both my situation was resolved AND they as a company weren't left in this situation again. Secondly, he offered me something for free, that I couldn't use. I was honest with him about it and gave him two other possible options of things I would and he sent me the more expensive of the two. How does it get better than that?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He shot me an email back and let me know he'd swap the pump for the ATO system.

That is excellent. Very good to hear! I will not say happy ending until you get the tank though.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back