Amphipods

xiixravenxiix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its seems my 20 gal nano tank is swarming with predatory amphipods. First they killed of my zoas one by one (thought it was due to zoa pox or something similar). Then I caught them eating my bowerbanki(relocated it to another tank) and now my favorite blasto. How can I go about nuking their population in a safe but aggressive manner. (I feel them eyeballing my elegance)

OP
OP
xiixravenxiix

xiixravenxiix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now just two clowns and a dottyback which I dont mind moving him so I can introduce new fish since I know they are jerks to new fish

OP
OP
xiixravenxiix

xiixravenxiix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about a 6 line but these amphipods are big almost like those tiny shrimp you get in cup of noodles lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have pics of pods?
Melanurus or lunare wrasse May be your Best defense

OP
OP
xiixravenxiix

xiixravenxiix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind the glass its cleaning day

20200708_203245.jpg

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these also and dont see them eat mine. Didnt know they did. Good thing I keep my banana wrasse in my sump at a moment's notice

OP
OP
xiixravenxiix

xiixravenxiix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first they didnt. Think they overpopulated and are now starving so they are looking for other food so corals are their target I think

Boonz28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve experienced the same for myself, had people tell me that amphipods won’t eat corals but I literally watched one consume a good chunk of a zoa one night. As others have said, their population gets so large that they start to starve and have to start eating corals to survive. Add more food and you’ll just end up with a larger population of them. In my opinion you do need a predator to eat them to solve this problem. I added a yellow coris wrasse and he wiped them out quick.

OP
OP
xiixravenxiix

xiixravenxiix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nabbed a yellow watchman goby and a carpenter wrasse today. Hopefully it all goes well. On a side note has anyone seen an emerald crab molt and end up with just MASSIVE claws.

Sorry for the blue but it was so exposed I had to nab a quick picture

20200710_213406.jpg

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge amphipod problem they kill any new frags I put in the tank. The pods are huge. I don't think a 6line will be able to fit those huge pods in its mouth

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back