OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our cool little money cowrie snail is 7 years old.

About the only thing that keeps me from trying a 'reef safe' small puffer.

Always fascinated by them.
Incredibly smart animals!

Hope you have some wonderful years with yours.
[emoji846]
from what im told, they wont eat cowrie, as they cant get through the shell. They also know better than to eat my conches. One bit them back when my porc tried.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small "reef safe" puffers will harass big snails to death. I have seen them do it to conches, turbos and cowries. Can't get through the shell so they just follow and nip the edges. The big puffers are less likely to do this than the sharpnose but they will do it too sometimes.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my pair.
IMG_20190715_192930.jpg
IMG_20190715_192920.jpg
IMG_20190714_180646.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its day 4 of a tank upgrade where i now have a giant Stars and Stripes puffer, and a good size porcupine. I have fallen in love with their odd behaviors, and their personality already! Do you also enjoy a good puff?

It is easy to fall in love with these guys - they are so interactive (even with stuff outside the tank)!!!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our cool little money cowrie snail is 7 years old.

About the only thing that keeps me from trying a 'reef safe' small puffer.

Always fascinated by them.
Incredibly smart animals!

Hope you have some wonderful years with yours.
[emoji846]
I just got a few ring cowries as puffer-resistant snails, they are supposedly nocturnal which has been the case so far, and they are too small for my puffer (3.5" GSP) to break their shell. 2 cowries are in the refugium and 1 is in the display as a trial run. I think it's survived so far, but I don't see it unless I turn on the lights at night. Does the money cowrie also behave nocturnally?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a porcupine puffer as well. How do the stars n stripes and porcupine get along? always wanted to add one.
they have been together for quite a while. I got them via a tank buy out that didnt end well, but i still ended up with them and love them.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small "reef safe" puffers will harass big snails to death. I have seen them do it to conches, turbos and cowries. Can't get through the shell so they just follow and nip the edges. The big puffers are less likely to do this than the sharpnose but they will do it too sometimes.

I’ve got a small blue spot that I really love. He used to take small bites out of the feet of all my snails when I got him, but he has moved away from doing that. I suppose it’s not worth the work anymore since I keep him so well fed.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a small blue spot that I really love. He used to take small bites out of the feet of all my snails when I got him, but he has moved away from doing that. I suppose it’s not worth the work anymore since I keep him so well fed.
i feed mine shell on shrimp, and the porcupine devours them. he tried to eat a conch, and the conch bit him back. hes left those alone since.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a few ring cowries as puffer-resistant snails, they are supposedly nocturnal which has been the case so far, and they are too small for my puffer (3.5" GSP) to break their shell. 2 cowries are in the refugium and 1 is in the display as a trial run. I think it's survived so far, but I don't see it unless I turn on the lights at night. Does the money cowrie also behave nocturnally?
Completely nocturnal.
I take a picture every month or so when I see it. [emoji6]

Occasionally it will rest out in the open during the day but not often.

They are a cool 'siting' animal. Like our pompom crab.

Oh neat! You haven't been eaten yet. [emoji849]

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted a dog face forever but built a reef tank full of crabs and urchins and snails and shrimp and corals. I want one so much, sometimes I consider just saying "screw it" and going for it. Lol
That's kinda what I did. I got the puffers from a tank buyout that didn't end well, so I found another one and just said f it to inverts.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back