An attempt at a super simple and aesthetic 32G rimless mixed reef - no sump, no skimmer, no problem?

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank, right up my alley! Would you please share the dimensions alongside the builder? Looking for one as we speak

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first week here I had a few people tell me that you can't grow coral with a canister filter, that it's a horrible idea and people just shouldn't do it.

Obviously, they were wrong :]

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first week here I had a few people tell me that you can't grow coral with a canister filter, that it's a horrible idea and people just shouldn't do it.

It can work, you just have to put in the effort to clean it regularly.

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the aesthetic. One goal on the nano I’m building now is a minimalist aquascape - yours has wonderful empty spaces.

Thanks mate, ill look forward to seeing it! People severely underestimate the aesthetics of empty spaces! :)

Have you not lost any fish to jumping? The tank looks very cool without a top, but I’d expect some jumpers.
I have had some in the past, but now when I add a new fish Ill put a glass lid on, covering most of the tank, for a couple of weeks while the fish settles in. Haven't had a jumping casualty in half a year at least. It is the main bummer of open top though..

Great looking tank, right up my alley! Would you please share the dimensions alongside the builder? Looking for one as we speak

The tank is 100x50x25 in centimetres, the builder is a local Danish guy though, so afraid you won't have any luck with him :/ But thanks, Ill look forward to seeing it if you do something similar :)

Its entirely possible yes! As said you just have to clean it every once in a while. To make it sooo much easier just make sure to buy two hose connectors that you add to the tubes. Makes it a whole different story to disconnect the canister for cleaning. (which I do maybe once a month or two months)

inland_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome looking tank! Great to see that people are realizing they don’t need crazy setups to maintain a beautiful piece of the ocean and that a canister filter with some good husbandry can be just as successful as a crazy sump setup. Look forward to what the future brings for this tank.

~ I'm definitely using your lampshade idea to hide the lights for my next build!

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome looking tank! Great to see that people are realizing they don’t need crazy setups to maintain a beautiful piece of the ocean and that a canister filter with some good husbandry can be just as successful as a crazy sump setup. Look forward to what the future brings for this tank.

~ I'm definitely using your lampshade idea to hide the lights for my next build!

Thank you very much mate! Im glad you think so, and I look forward to seeing your new lampshade :D

A lot of people who are completely new to reefing write to me on instagram wanting to hear how its possible, mentioning they've been told to get these huge and super expensive setups with all the bells and whistles, which IMO just makes for an extremely steep learning curve and often just a short period before they exit the hobby again. I hope to show them that its possible to start out much simpler, and then you can always add the extras later.

Csmai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wonderful reef tank!

I’ve registered to this forum just for this thread.
Hope you don’t mind, but I have lots of questions...

1. Would you let us know how much ml/grams of GFO, Carbon and Biohome do you use in your filter.
2. If possible, would you bother to inform the L/H (GPH) on your canister, the internal media capacity or even the brand/model.
3. What is your glass thickness? Is it low iron glass?
4. What is the distance from your hydra to the water surface?

Thanks for sharing your photos and project. Would love to see an walktrough on YouTube!

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wonderful reef tank!

I’ve registered to this forum just for this thread.
Hope you don’t mind, but I have lots of questions...

1. Would you let us know how much ml/grams of GFO, Carbon and Biohome do you use in your filter.
2. If possible, would you bother to inform the L/H (GPH) on your canister, the internal media capacity or even the brand/model.
3. What is your glass thickness? Is it low iron glass?
4. What is the distance from your hydra to the water surface?

Thanks for sharing your photos and project. Would love to see an walktrough on YouTube!

That is very great to hear mate, really glad you like it this much :)

1. In terms of grams im not entirely sure, ill try to measure it next time I do some maintenance! However, carbon is around 75% of a fist's worth, GFO only 2 teaspoons, and the biohome ultimate is around a fistful or a bit more - hope that helps a little.

2. L/H is around 450 as I recall, the model is nothing special though... I bought it initially for its ability to contain a heater, but that didn't work out. It has capacity for a good deal more than what's in It though, I think its around 1/3 full?

3. Its 6mm, but not low iron unfortunately :)

4. Its around 18 inches from the water surface!

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome tank. love the mangroves and how the rock work pokes out of the water
Thanks a lot mate, I'm appreciate the kind words :) I really cant decide on the mangroves actually, on one hand i like them, but I also kind of feeling like theyre doing something bad aesthetically, I just can decide what :p

Its been a while without pics, so here goes:
1579614094655.png

In september I picked up some cheap no-name SPS in a "4 for 80$" deal at my LFS, that I thought showed some promise. Its been almost 4 months now, and even with some silly light schedule changes, alk accidents, and a temperature accident from a bad new heater, theyre actually starting to take off now and have even gained some colors.

Before:
1579614356256.png

Now:
1579614414428.png
1579614476022.png

Especially the blue one has gotten some very decent new colors, that unfortunately have been quite hard to catch on camera. The polyps are also getting greener. The second one has pretty much overgrown the large frag plug, so Im hoping it'll start doing some vertical growth soon.

I hope to keep em growing well, to show people its definitely possible to keep SPS in a simple system without a skimmer/refugium/frequent waterchanges.

Seeing that i was able to keep these boys alive, I went ahead and bought some other SPS frags from @faunamarin .. Was my first time buying some higher end SPS, so I hope to show some photos of good growth from them as well at some point :)

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot mate, I'm appreciate the kind words :) I really cant decide on the mangroves actually, on one hand i like them, but I also kind of feeling like theyre doing something bad aesthetically, I just can decide what :p

Its been a while without pics, so here goes:
1579614094655.png

In september I picked up some cheap no-name SPS in a "4 for 80$" deal at my LFS, that I thought showed some promise. Its been almost 4 months now, and even with some silly light schedule changes, alk accidents, and a temperature accident from a bad new heater, theyre actually starting to take off now and have even gained some colors.

Before:
1579614356256.png

Now:
1579614414428.png
1579614476022.png

Especially the blue one has gotten some very decent new colors, that unfortunately have been quite hard to catch on camera. The polyps are also getting greener. The second one has pretty much overgrown the large frag plug, so Im hoping it'll start doing some vertical growth soon.

I hope to keep em growing well, to show people its definitely possible to keep SPS in a simple system without a skimmer/refugium/frequent waterchanges.

Seeing that i was able to keep these boys alive, I went ahead and bought some other SPS frags from @faunamarin .. Was my first time buying some higher end SPS, so I hope to show some photos of good growth from them as well at some point :)
its nice to see your success.

the mangroves round off the island look imo.

how do you dose

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I have always loved the "lagoon" look with rocks coming out of the water, and the mangroves make it look really natural. Do you have much problem with salt creep on the exposed rocks?

Thanks mate! There is some salt creep that I should probably try to deal with soon - but that will be the first time I do something about it :)

By the way, I've tried to make a new YouTube video, feel free to check it out!

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful reef! Any chance you could post some pictures of your power head placement? I see the one on the right, but curious what else you’re using to create such amazing movement.

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great tank - curious where you place your heater? also how much dosing do you do per day?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey hows our Reef Of The Day tank dong today? ;)

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd argue
. . . My girlfriend has been begging for a regal tang since forever, and this entire time I've attempted to lecture her on how big they get and the amount of room they need. I'm not sure what happened, but one day I came across a teeny tiny one (half an inch), and I somehow ended up buying it. The deal with the GF is to either pass it on to another reefer with a larger tank in 6 months when its gained some size, or to upgrade my own tank to a more fitting size by then. . . .

Another thing I realised after making the video is how huge the coral beauty has gotten now. Im starting to think I may have to rehome it also, which is a big bummer.

I'd argue you probably saved the Regal Tang. With the small size if your Regal Tang had been added to a system big enough for it's adult size either bigger fish would have bullied or eaten it or larger fish would have to wait until it was big enough to hold it's own.

Based on my experiences the last 32 years it doesn't matter what size fish or tank is in the equation rehomeing always has to be a consideration when a fish is purchased. Fish's ndividual personalities can trump both a species reputation and standard tank recommendations.

Stereotypy behaviour is what we need to be looking for in deciding whether a fish (or perhaps a dominate fish) needs to be rehomed. Here's a good introduction to the subject:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back