Analyzing a Bacterial Method for Dinoflagellates (and cyano?)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain how to move CO2 from the red curve to the green and blue curve...

What mechanisms can be used?

FB_IMG_1567350951959.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly there is. But the chemistry of gases dissolving in water is well within my scientific expertise.
As it is mine. And I am recognized in my industries as one of the authorities in water management.
[/QUOTE]
Obviously, this forum is one of your only strongholds in society, Randy.

I will allow this thread to continue and bow out of this fruitless dialogue.
The "law of physics" which I was referring to is the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) cannot occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This applies to normal matter, which is made out of only a few kinds of fermions tightly bonded together.
That includes gases in a given solution.

Gas has mass and gas has a volume, estimated by Avogadro's number and the IDEAL gas law.

In deference, Randy, please show us, that all other engineers and physicists are wrong, in our stating that displacement of gases in a solution is real.

We need facts, not opinions and "because I said so" arguments.

Henry’s law. Not opinion, but experimentally verified fact. That’s the point. It has been verified for decades by many tests. The minor variations from it are well understood and have no connection to the Cruz hypothesis that gases compete for space when dissolving in water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still trying to prove Henry’s law wrong by showing my own graphs that support it?

This is a waste of time for everyone involved.

Nothing you have posted suggests that gases compete for space when air dissolves in water.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Henry's law is based on assumptions and constraints of classical ideal gas laws.

This world is not ideal and cannot be constrained.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain how to move CO2 from the red curve to the green and blue curve...

What mechanisms can be used?

FB_IMG_1567350951959.jpg

As I state in many articles, aerating with lower CO2 air lowers CO2 in the water. That’s exactly what Henry’s law states.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still trying to prove Henry’s law wrong by showing my own graphs that support it?

This is a waste of time for everyone involved.

Nothing you have posted suggests that gases compete for space when air dissolves in water.

If gas dissolves in water, does it not have mass anymore? Or does it disappear like magic?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Henry's law is based on assumptions and constraints of classical ideal gas laws.

This world is not ideal and cannot be constrained.

Of course it isn’t ideal. And still there is no evidence whatsoever that adding O2 to water will drive out CO2 if the partial pressure of CO2 in that oxygen is the same as the original air.

I’m actually flabbergasted that you keep on pressing the accuracy of this mistake.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I state in many articles, aerating with lower CO2 air lowers CO2 in the water. That’s exactly what Henry’s law states.
So this aeration with lower co2 air... what are the mechanics behind this?

How does lower co2 air just magically replace higher levels of co2 trapped and dissolved in the water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How does lower co2 air just magically replace higher levels of co2 trapped and dissolved in the water?
Finally, a breakthrough, if you are paying attention.

The CO2 in water equilibrated with air is exactly in an equilibrium between the gas and dissolved phase. If you lower the CO2 in the gas phase, then by Le Charlie’s principle, CO2 leaves the water and enters that gas phase, establishing a new equilibrium with less CO2 in the water. Not magic. Ordinary physical chemistry of Henry’s Law.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol

Your point is what?
You stated low co2 aeration drives down co2 in the water column.

I'm asking you HOW? By what physical means? Where did the excess co2 go?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s

You stated low co2 aeration drives down co2 in the water column.

I'm asking you HOW? By what physical means? Where did the excess co2 go?

I explained this well understood phenomenon above. It equilibrates into the low CO2 air bubbles and is carried away.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Unnecessary.
I didn’t address this since I’m not a braggart, but folks who are new here can see my technical and scientific achievements on Linked In. They include inventing pharmaceuticals that members or their families may be taking.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s

I explained this well understood phenomenon above. It equilibrates into the low CO2 air bubbles and is carried away.

So the mechanics are hypothesized and reaching equilibrium is observed.

This means that there still are holes in your argument.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I didn’t address this since I’m not a braggart, but folks who are new here can see my technical and scientific achievements on Linked In. They include inventing pharmaceuticals that members or their families may be taking.

Funny... I work in the same biopharmaceutical fields. Go figure. Lots of misrepresentation and over generalizations in the field of big pharma.

(Fist bump)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the mechanics are hypothesized and reaching equilibrium is observed.

This means that there still are holes in your argument.

A hole? I explained exactly what happens, and it is known exactly what happens. If you want the mechanism all the way down to the molecular level, here goes.

Any liquid gas interface has tremendous movement of molecules from the gas to liquid and liquid to gas phases. For seawater, that includes water, O2, CO2, N2, and many more. The more molecules in the gas phase, the more that randomly move from gas to water. Same for those dissolved in the water. The more there the more likely one is to move out of the water.

The equilibrium point is when gases moving in each direction are the same. If you suddenly lower the gas phase CO2, you lower the number entering the water while the number leaving it is, at least initially, higher. That causes a net loss of CO2 from the water to the air.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s

So, low co2 air in, co2 rich air out...

That's displacement.
Whatever words used to describe it, equilibrium, normalization, etc.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back