Analyzing a Bacterial Method for Dinoflagellates (and cyano?)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is like a sponge. It can only hold so much gas and solute until it's full. If you want to remove one, you can force it out (in the case of CO2) with another soluble gas (oxygen) via osmosis and increased gas/liquid surface area interface.

Cruz, this is simply incorrect. I hope you are not basing something important on this misunderstanding.

The amount of O2 dissolved in water does not impact the solubility of other gases in that same water.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should dose silicates and Nualgi...

I was going to say something this morning, but held off. Now that another inaccuracy has cropped up- I’m going to come in again...

Why?

I thought this was a “work thread”? Why should he dose silicates?

Lets be as transparent and as informative for readers as we can! Let’s try to turn guesses into science

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cruz, this is simply incorrect. I hope you are not basing something important on this misunderstanding.

The amount of O2 dissolved in water does not impact the solubility of other gases in that same water.
Basing it on the fact that co2 can displace oxygen, the reverse is also true... oxygen can displace co2 from the water.

Attachments

• web-L23.pdf
    334.8 KB · Views: 525

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say something this morning, but held off. Now that another inaccuracy has cropped up- I’m going to come in again...

Why?

I thought this was a “work thread”? Why should he dose silicates?

Lets be as transparent and as informative for readers as we can! Let’s try to turn guesses into science
Was trying to help someone trying the diatom method also... no issue helping. I'm pretty well versed in what others have been trying outside of the regimen.

If helping isn't the reason for this thread, then there should be another thread for the diatom bloom regimen in getting rid of dinos... LoL

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to help someone trying the diatom method also... no issue helping. I'm pretty well versed in what others have been trying outside of the regimen.

If helping isn't the reason for this thread, then there should be another thread for the diatom bloom regimen in getting rid of dinos... LoL
Also, which inaccuracy? That oxygen cannot displace co2 from the water?

Attachments

• web-L23.pdf
    334.8 KB · Views: 535

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basing it on the fact that co2 can displace oxygen, the reverse is also true... oxygen can displace co2 from the water.

Nonsense. You do not understand Henrys Law that you linked to. Any pure gas can drive out other gases only because the pure gas lacks any amount of the other gas . If I generate 20 atmospheres of O2 that has the same amount of CO2 per liter as normal air, and bubble it through seawater, a huge amount of O2 will dissolve but dissolved CO2 will remain unchanged. Your statement about it being like a sponge with limited space for gas molecules is not a correct assertion.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense. You do not understand Henrys Law that you linked to. Any pure gas can drive out other gases only because the pure gas lacks any amount of the other gas . If I generate 20 atmospheres of O2 that has the same amount of CO2 per liter as normal air, and bubble it through seawater, a huge amount of O2 will dissolve but dissolved CO2 will remain unchanged. Your statement about it being like a sponge with limited space for gas molecules is not a correct assertion.

Nonsense. Randy, you can force concentrations in favor of what you want to dissolve. Might want to check why we can dissolve ANY soluble gas into liquid outside of "normal".

Higher concentrations move from an area of higher concentration to one of lower concentration to the point of induced saturation.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try reading what we learn in Water Treatment facilities.

Attachments

• 4deb5c0498ba0218efaee8a7817dda3307c9.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 352

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, which inaccuracy? That oxygen cannot displace co2 from the water?
Nonsense. Randy, you can force concentrations in favor of what you want to dissolve. Might want to check why we can dissolve ANY soluble gas into liquid outside of "normal".

Higher concentrations move from an area of higher concentration to one of lower concentration to the point of induced saturation.

The solubility of gases in water is only related to the partial pressure of that gas contacting the water (at fixed temp and salinity), not the presence or absence of any other gas. That is Henry’s law.

Your sponge being full analogy is incorrect.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try reading what we learn in Water Treatment facilities.

Sorry, I’m not going to read 178 pages that you are almost certainly misunderstanding to make your point. If you want to select a single page, I’ll read it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And none of that says gases interfere with the solubility of each other. Only their partial pressure matters, not what else is there.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total dissolved gas in water as well as solubility of salts in water is limited by a natural saturation point. All other gases or additional solute will fall out of solution.

After normal saturation is reached, you could increase temperature or pressure (including partial pressures) to force whatever soluble gas into it at super saturated levels.

But once you return the "system" back to normal parameters, the super saturated gases are released because water has a limit in which to retain a finite amount of total dissolved gas (TDG). Any excess is off-gassed.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got to say I had Dino's for almost a year. J git rid of the by not cleaning and letting my NO3 go up. I removed my cheato, starting feeding 3 times a day, and left my skimmer off. Oh and added micro bubbles. Happy they have gone now. They killed everything in the tank but the fish.

Last edited:

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got to say I had Dino's fir almost a year. J git rid of the by not cleaning and letting my NO3 go up. I removed my cheato, starting feeding 3 times a day, and left my skimmer off. Oh and added micro bubbles. Happy they have gone now. They killed everything in the tank but the fish.
Sorry about the losses to the dinos... :(

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m not going to read 178 pages that you are almost certainly misunderstanding to make your point. If you want to select a single page, I’ll read it.
Look through the table of contents, look for gas saturation. It's a one page read.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And none of that says gases interfere with the solubility of each other. Only their partial pressure matters, not what else is there.

And let's say you are incorrect in assuming that your understanding of total dissolved gas and physics is flawed based on the fact that Henry's Law and Dalton's Gas laws are THEORIES based on ASSUMED constraints and ASSUMED IDEALS based on certain limitations.

Many new recent breakthroughs have debunked CLASSICAL understanding of chemistry and physics.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back