Anatomy of a Maxspect Gyre, help finding out why clicking and stopping

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I got a pair of used xf330s to put up as dual opposing gyres. Unfortunately, one of them is not working. It starts, clicks and spurts out half a second of flow then stops. Hits the next step if its cycle (after a pause, I think) then does the same thing over again.

I've already cleaned it with a citric acid bath, so no detritus or build-up. I took it apart, and the only observations I have are that the impellers sit very loosely/wobbly on the rotor (as opposed to my Jump 2k, which was nice and firm but bought new). And, that the rotor shaft doesn't stay very centered in the stator (diagram below)--it usually pushes either further to the A side or further to the B side when I put it back together depending on which side I put in first (A first, it shifts further into the A cage when B goes in). The pieces of the rotor shaft are also a bit wobbly, but I don't know how fixed in place they are supposed to be. Diagrams below followed by pics of the pieces:
1694922705455.png

*(the rotor does NOT need to be pushed hard to take out. I can remove it with two fingers)*

1694922492785.png

Here, just circling the most wobbly piece on the rotor:
1694922771933.png

Does anyone have an idea about what could be the problem and if there is an easy fix to this? I also know very little about things like bushings, when they need to be replaced/how to tell. Thanks, and sorry for the ignorance! I will likely call Maxspect Customer Service on Monday if I can't get this figured out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back