Ancora Nursing Project

  • Thread starter Thread starter Piotrek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Piotrek

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2026
Messages
89
Reaction score
93
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

Yesterday I bought a big Ancora coral in a very bad shape. I'll do my best to nurse it back to health. I bought it locally and knew it's condition, so no one ripped me off.

After the purchase and acclimation I dipped it in Aqua Forest dip.

I have a place in mind I'd like it to be once it recovers (if that ever happens), but for starters I placed it on the bottom of my tank in relatively low light (less then 150PAR) and low to medium constant flow. My idea is to let it be for a few days, then start feeding it powder food every 3 days in small amounts.

I'll update weekly, in case some is interested. Nursing suggestions welcome :)



initial.jpg
 
Sounds like it went through the ringer on the way to this tank. Hopefully nutrient levels appear to be replete maybe with numbers something like ≥ 5 ppm NO3 and ≥ 0.10 ppm PO4. Also hopefully there's good, strong flow.

Good luck!
 
Looking at lot better after 1 week. I was going to feed it but dropped that idea because the coral is recovering on its own.
30419867-60f2-483e-b304-e7b0639fbfa5.jpg
 
Sounds like it went through the ringer on the way to this tank. Hopefully nutrient levels appear to be replete maybe with numbers something like ≥ 5 ppm NO3 and ≥ 0.10 ppm PO4. Also hopefully there's good, strong flow.

Good luck!
Forgot to report. The ICP results came in.
PO4 - 0,02
NO3 - 6
 
Both of those values are low, in particular phosphate. IMO dose phosphates (eg. Flourish phosphate) to 0.10 ppm and keep it there until you have definitive signs of recovery. Do not let P return to near-zero.....and keep an eye on N as well...we don't want it to bottom out to zero if/when a growth spurt kicks in. At least the first time you dose phosphate, test again an hour after dosing and see if you need to re-dose to the target.
 
I'm already dosing NO3 and 5-10 is what I'm maintaining. It's pretty stable. While not dosing it dropped from 10 to 6 in 2 weeks.
Regarding PO4, I don't want to dose just yet. I have a refugium tank where I have decreased the light a bit.
I also had an event when my Hannah PO4 test reported 0,07 and 0,35 a week later. I added salifert phosout for 3 days,reduced feeding and then measured 0,01 after again 2 week. I know now I should have repeated that 0,35 test instead of trusting it. But once I returned to heavy feeding PO4 is slowly rising again. I'm aiming for the threshold 0,06-0,08.
Any thoughts on that approach?
 
The coral made an amazing recovery in one week. I wouldn’t change anything.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new