OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Goby has finally stopped going in the overflow, thankfully. I fished him out over twenty times. I'm not sure whether or not he has paired up with the pistol shrimp but he has started to live in a hole created by the shrimp. And, the last hole that I saw the shrimp in. I still haven't seen him eat yet when i feed the tank. I've tried target feeding and he isnt interested. However, he is picking at the sand and sifting often. I've tried mysis, brine (plain and soaked in garlic) as well as pellet w/garlic. Still looks happy and healthy so not awfully concerned. It's interesting to hear the Pistol pop at night, my son really enjoys it and likes seeing the hills that it created overnight.

Happened to test ammonia the other night, just because i was doing tests already, and got a dark green reading on the API test (I know they give false positives but its usually arounf .23 or .50, it was higher than that). My clowns were also acting a bit strange although not breathing heavily. I did a water change and it came down to .25. Things have been well since then.

Recently changed my lighting schedule, still running the same schedule just changed the times. Had lights out at 8pm and really missed watching the tank at night so I changed lights off until 10pm.

Have a very small bit of cyano on the right side of the tank which is obstructed due to my rock structure. Trying to find info on whether or not I can pair a smaller Jabeo SLW pump with my currently 20. I'd like to run pulse between the two side of the tank to create random flow but I dont need another 20, possibly a 10 or an 8 just to address that one dead spot.

Corraline continues to spread throughout the rock work. However, there is a significant green covering a majority of the rock work and some of the sand as well. I needed to add another item from BRS to get free shipping a few weeks ago and purchased the Pink Corraline in a bottle and add that the other day. I know some are skeptical of it's effect but I figured adding some more beneficial bacteria couldn't hurt and it was only 20$

Was thinking about another additional fish in the near future if possible. Currently have two Wyoming Whites, Royal Gramma (pain in the rear rend) and YWG as well as a pistol shrimp, two Mexican turbo snails and a hand full or blue legged hermits (attempted a few nassarius but the hermits slaughtered them as soon as they hit the sand bed despite having alternative empty shells available. . If I cant add another that's fine- no big deal. Having a hard time with comparability and what could possibly work. May just focus on filling the tank with coral in the mean time!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few weeks since my last update. And, ill have to get photos here at some point to show some progress. The tank is still doing well overall with some minor issues that im sure are just related to being relatively new. I'm coming up on the 4 month mark. Rocks are still going through a green phase with some significant spread of coralline. All fish are doing well. The clowns are getting a bit more adventurous and traveling through more areas of the tank. The Goby is remaining in his dedicated hole with the pistol shrimp. I have not seen the shrimp come out into the open more than once. That was when i had the power heads and return off when feeding corals. But, the YWG and shrimp are residing in the same cave under the rock. I do have a small patch of cyano on the sand that is blocked by some rock. I'm going to add another Jebao SLW20 on that side and run the two across from one another alternating, i just have to order another and a guard from fishofhex. My zoas are starting to spread like crazy, especially the eagle eyes. I do have a baby mushroom! However, my other mushroom still remains in rough conditions. It had previously started to drop the plug that it was on and had gotten really stretched so I had made a very small cut to free the plug. Doesn't look happy or spread out but is still alive, hoping it bounces back. Gramma is still a jerk but hasn't injured anyone. Hoping that his aggression doesn't increase.

I left a small fan on yesterday running across the top of the water while I was out yesterday and got home much later than expected. The temp had dropped in the tank from 78.9 to 76.3 and everything was closed up. My RFA was nearly inside out. But, by this morning everything was back to normal. There has been an explosion of amphipods on the tank as well. Only issue im really having is the constant film on my glass and back wall of the tank. I have to clean that glass once a day to keep it clear. The water clarity isnt an issue. The backwall gets covered with a brown film rather quickly. I clean it once a week during my water change and within three days is starting to form again. Hoping it's just due to some indirect sun during the morning and the tank being new. Have also stopped my skimmer from running. Nitrates have been zero since i started the tank. Figured that if i feed a little heavier (only feed frozen or pellets once a day) and cut the skimmer it may raise nutrient levels a bit.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goby 1.jpg
IMG_4170.jpg

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must also add that I still have not seen my YWG eat. Hes been in the tank now about three weeks. I have tried sinking pellets with garlic, brine and mysis as well as target feeding all of those and he shows no interest. I have seen him a few times sift a bit of sand. He still looks good, keeping color and growing (when i got him he was about an inch and a half). He must be eating something!

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read looks like your off the a.great start!! Enjoyed you sharing your story, experiences and pics.

I would be concerned about the temp of your tank fluctuating like that... do you have a heater in the tank it should have kicked on with the temp dropping from the fan.

Think about a controller for your temp control.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read looks like your off the a.great start!! Enjoyed you sharing your story, experiences and pics.

I would be concerned about the temp of your tank fluctuating like that... do you have a heater in the tank it should have kicked on with the temp dropping from the fan.

Think about a controller for your temp control.
I do have a heater in the tank. This is the first time that it had dropped. I have a back up as well and plan on keeping an eye on it. I dont have AC in my house and living in Syracuse NY the weather changes frequently. It was 87 yesterday with some humidity and the tank is located near a window which i keep open for additional air. My guess is that the temp dropped quickly, as it usually does, and I just happened to catch it on the downswing. I really didn't believe a small fan like i have over the tank would make a huge difference but has been a life saver on hot days helping drop the temp 2-3 degrees. A temp controller is in the near future for sure, along with some other needed safety equipment - battery back up is next.

Appreciate your reply!

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Check out my thread if you would like to. I have the same tank. You were asking about algae scraping at the bottom of the tank by the sand...I usually clean the glass as usual with my magnet, then about once every 3 months I’ll grab a straight razor blade and clean the bottom. Seems to work out pretty well and you don’t have to worry about your magnet scratching up your low iron glass!
giphy.gif

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Check out my thread if you would like to. I have the same tank. You were asking about algae scraping at the bottom of the tank by the sand...I usually clean the glass as usual with my magnet, then about once every 3 months I’ll grab a straight razor blade and clean the bottom. Seems to work out pretty well and you don’t have to worry about your magnet scratching up your low iron glass!
giphy.gif
Ill definetly check out your thread, thanks for giving me a heads up. I did get a flipper and it has worked wonders for cleaning. I rarely use the scrub pad and mainly use the blade side. Haven't had any issue with the glass so far. I have picked up a few grains while cleaning but the space and design of the flipper allows it to drop out before scratching the glass. So far so good! Now if i can just get the need to clean the glass to lessen! I think when i originally cleaned the inside of the tank before set up (it was purchased used) I did a poor job. There are always squiggly lines and remain clear when the rest develops film algae. Its much different than the clean trails my turbos leave!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FD973BCB-D09E-4819-A874-543FB6C10C4F.jpeg
Came home the other night and the power went out as I walked through the door. Checked the estimated tim for it to come back on and it was 5 hours. Immediately I though about the oxygen level in the tank. A battery air stone would cut it (maybe) for a bit. I immediately ordered this guy. While it won’t suffice for long periods of time it’ll give me enough time to get things figured out, especially if I’m at work. Plugged in my power head on the battery backup side and all else on the surge. Gives me piece of mind!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll I've hit another hurdle it seems. Over the past few days my gramma has begun flashing head first into the sand. At first, I really didn't think much of it. It was once in a while and I figured that he was stirring something up. He is the tank jerk, without a doubt. But, I noticed that it has increased significantly and he has begun to wedge himself into the rocks and always facing the same direction. Additionally, he increasing is flashing, always in the same spot and nearly always the same side. While I haven't had any new additions in 5 week, I firmly believe that he had flukes. There's no getting him out of the display, it's just not going to happen. So against my better judgement I rushed to the store (the stayed open for me) to get some prazipro and dosed my DT. I really didn't want to but I also don't want to watch this fish continue its discomfort or for it to start to affect my clowns and goby. Ideally I would have liked to remove them all and treat in QT. But it couldn't happen. Hoping for some relief for this guy and to knock it out quickly and hope I didn't make a mistake. A freshwater dip and separated quarantine was wanted, just couldn't happen.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m losing fish.......

may granma has been flashing for a fewdays. Treated with prazipro and has gone down hill quickly. I feel incredibly helpless, like there is nothing I can do. Attempted bottle trap to get out and treat with no luck. Can’t bet himas he still has enough fight to be elusive. My YWG has been out all day which is odd and now is incredibly lethargic. What I first thought was flukes wasthen thought to be ich as I checked on him them this morning and saw white specs over the grammas head. However, given the speed in which this has taken over I feel as if it may be velvet. I don’t know where it came from or how it came on. Everything was in the tank for months without issue. I’m beside myself at the moment....

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, my gramma is back to being it’s typical jerk self. I’m hoping that he has bounced back. It’s been out eating and chomping at my clowns whenever the chance arises. Did a quick 10 gallon water change this morning. My goby in the other hand, haven’t seen him all day, which isn’t unusual. I did not do another dose of prazipro, perhaps I should. Thought it was flukes, then saw the white spots at night on the gramma thought maybe ich. Then, he wen downhill quickly and thought perhaps velvet. But, with the bounce back I’m not really sure. My clowns have shown and sign of different behavior. My gonipora has been closed up since I originally dosed the prazipro. But for now, that’s the least of my concerns.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day to report. One of my two clowns I assume has passed due to whatever disease or infection was present in the tank. I treated to the best of my knowledge and it didnt make it. Have not been able to find it in my tank and can only assume the hermits have disposed of the sad little guy. The female looks like she is on the way out as well. Have moved her to the QT tank some days ago and things arent getting better. Shes lethargic, doesnt eat and swimming is less than ideal. There are large grey patches all over her body that arent going away. My watchman goby is fine for the time being. Doing a complete tear down to get him and the gramma out to treat. Things were going well for months. No idea where this came from given there wasnt any new introductions to the tanks. I now have a number of QT tanks which will help divert this kind of mess again. But, it doesn't make it any easier losing fish.....

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap - sorry to hear that. It really sucks losing animals that we put so much time and effort into giving homes to. Must be bad juju going around because I found Grumpy, my purple firefish stuck to one of my powerheads this morning. Went and bought a floating isolation thing. Hope he recovers but now not looking good.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap - sorry to hear that. It really sucks losing animals that we put so much time and effort into giving homes to. Must be bad juju going around because I found Grumpy, my purple firefish stuck to one of my powerheads this morning. Went and bought a floating isolation thing. Hope he recovers but now not looking good.
Sorry to hear that. Hope the guy recovers for you! It does suck.... My son picked these two out and he was the one that pushed my wife into allowing us into the hobby. It's one of the few fish he wanted. And, as you know they aren't cheap. However, it's not about the money that makes it tough. The fact that we are responsible for caring for them and providing the best environment we can and failing that get you.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second clown passed two days ago. Again, feverishly doing what I could to nurse her back to health but unfortunately failed. Son was devastated. Only fish left is the gramma and a small yellow watchman goby. Did an additional 50% water change and added some chemipure to pull out and left of prazipro from the display. Was having an issue with a small patch of cyano as well. I guess it’s time to let thing sit empty for a bit and re-purchase fish for the QT in a few weeks.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... Things went downhill quickly. Found the gramma deceased today. After being set up and going well for 4 months in less than three weeks three fish died leaving me essentially fishless. The clowns, not sure how they died. I didn't get much feedback regarding what it may have been even when posting a picture. Those at the LFS had no clue either or the endless groups on social media that I had posted to. I thought I had done everything correctly. I took it slow, tested, did my weekly husbandry and looked over the tank like it was my first born. I missed turning the fan on maybe twice and temps got up to 80-81 degrees and although that may have not been the issue, that's when things started to go downhill. The one mistake that I made was not QTing fish. Maybe that was unintentional arrogance, or, perhaps too much trust in others stating that their fish were healthy. It's not a mistake that I will make again. So now i'm in the process of researching QT's and preventable fish disease. Going on vacation in a few weeks and not going attempt to start over again while someone else is watching the house. And, the price of fish locally with this covid stuff is astronomical. Its disheartening, defeating and humbling at the same time, i suppose. Lesson learned and unfortunately at the expense of living creatures...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back