OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if one of those tiny nano mag floats, Two little fishies brand, would fit between the rock and panel.
Drives me nuts when rock is too close to glass and I can not clean the glass.
Sounds like your tank is proceeding normally.
What type of fish are you going to get?

:)
Sorry, I replied below.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weekly update:
Did an 8 gallon water change two days ago. I mixed far too much water when I first set up the tank so I utilized that for the smaller water change. Tested the water before it was used- everything was fine overall.

I had some skimmer issues, most microbubbles. I’m running the full size ghost skimmer. The bubbles were insane but slowed after a few days and are now almost non existent. The collection however is very much water like in color and consistency. Not exactly sure what that means. Either way the water clarity has increased noticeably.

The hermits and bumble bees have done a great job with the diatoms. While I enjoy watching my gramma I really enjoy watching the hermits do their work.

Going to order the nano two little fishes mag cleaner at some point to try and clean this glass that the rocks are close to. I really like my aquascape and don’t want to tear it apart to move it far less than an inch. It is what it is I suppose. Potentially ordering 3D reef diffuser for my 32. The light pours out into my side yard and all over the floor which isn’t an issue at all, but would prefer the light be directed to where it needs to go.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CFE2A888-8005-4905-8293-B03F45BD60D2.jpeg
CFE2A888-8005-4905-8293-B03F45BD60D2.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5E5B655B-CED0-448E-9B67-F0B6640EBEDF.jpeg
Update, and not a fun filled one. Sunday I was doing a 5 gallons water change and noticed a wispy piece of algae during that time. I picked it off, which was tough, and proceeded on with my water change. My son noticed today a longer piece today (pictured above). Upon further ins period there are two additional small patches on two other rocks. Some local help labels this bryopsis and essentially cursed the stuff. From research it looks like reef flux is an option to tackle it. That’s it removing the rock, hitting it with peroxide and hiding it away in a dark bucket for three days. Had no idea I’d be tackling this within the first month. But, it’s something to learn from I suppose.
Any others have any experience with this issue? Any suggestions or guidance/experience with reef flux?

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5E5B655B-CED0-448E-9B67-F0B6640EBEDF.jpeg
Update, and not a fun filled one. Sunday I was doing a 5 gallons water change and noticed a wispy piece of algae during that time. I picked it off, which was tough, and proceeded on with my water change. My son noticed today a longer piece today (pictured above). Upon further ins period there are two additional small patches on two other rocks. Some local help labels this bryopsis and essentially cursed the stuff. From research it looks like reef flux is an option to tackle it. That’s it removing the rock, hitting it with peroxide and hiding it away in a dark bucket for three days. Had no idea I’d be tackling this within the first month. But, it’s something to learn from I suppose.
Any others have any experience with this issue? Any suggestions or guidance/experience with reef flux?
40954E3F-F981-4E4A-BE6D-3B12DF1D7E54.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google magnesium levels and Byropsis. I believe it used to be Kent Magnesium.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9B3E5FF8-4090-49D9-B7B7-A7FD5F3C78FB.jpeg
00B106DE-AF7C-4290-9D6D-DD590691762B.jpeg
Another update:
Things have been interesting to say the least. I had had some long strands of algae others helped to diagnose as bryopsis. I ordered some reef flux and fully intended to use it. However, on the day it arrived there was no observed bryopsis in the tank. I’ve waited a few days and it’s still MIA. So, I’ve decided to not follow through with the treatment and wait to see if it pops back up in the future.

I purchased a flipper as I was really tired of sticking my hands in the tank, getting my glass all wet and not being able to clean near the sand bed with the wand I had. I should have purchased this from the onset. This thing is great! I did have to move some rock that was too close to the glass (poor planning on my part) which wasn’t any issue and created additional caves anyhow.

I’ve added my first three frags to the tank. All zoas, no idea what the names are, just found them interesting. So far so good. The smaller colorful colony is currently closed up. I took it out of the tank to remove the stem and dropped it accidentally. A few heads open slightly. Overall, not too worried about it. The others are doing great.

I’ve read clowns are weird but never really witnessed it for myself until recently. One of my clowns is picking up sand and moving it and bullying my hermits whenever they go into the clowns corner. The other clown is hanging out upside down in the corner and then flutters around every once in a while. it didn’t take them long to realize when I’m near the tank it’s time to eat. Whenever I approach the tank they move quickly to the surface and spaz kit sticking their faces out of the water.

My gramma has apparently developed an attitude issue. He’s resorted to picking up sand and drops it near the clowns after feeding time. This is an interesting little environment to observe so far!

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hilarious! Because I have the EXACT same thing going on in my IM40. The only difference is that my tormentor is a midas blenny, but it does the same thing. Oh, you guys are over there? BLAH, take that!

I just got tired of watching it today so I moved some rock around to shelter the corner a bit more. Now the Blenny cant see them and its not being such a pita.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hilarious! Because I have the EXACT same thing going on in my IM40. The only difference is that my tormentor is a midas blenny, but it does the same thing. Oh, you guys are over there? BLAH, take that!

I just got tired of watching it today so I moved some rock around to shelter the corner a bit more. Now the Blenny cant see them and its not being such a pita.

Good on you! I’m guessing it’s probably a pain to continue to clean up after as well. They’re like battling old men, or, the grumpy old man ticked off because the kids keep playing in their yard. Either way, it’s amazing to having in the house to watch.

Out of curiosity, are you running a skimmer and if so which one?

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not. I am trying (key word) to keep the system complexity at a minimum. I DID add the IM ATO controller and pump after 2 weeks, and you know why. So far tno regrets on that. I HAD an LED fixture, but after 3 weeks I went back to the good old 4x24 T5 HO fixture I've had forever. Im running a filter sock on one end and filter floss and carbon on the other. I dont have any SPS corals, and I'm not adding any. Softies, hammers, frogspawn and a plate coral are it. If I dont feel like I am keeping up the water quality with water changes I'll consider a skimmer, but not until then.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not. I am trying (key word) to keep the system complexity at a minimum. I DID add the IM ATO controller and pump after 2 weeks, and you know why. So far tno regrets on that. I HAD an LED fixture, but after 3 weeks I went back to the good old 4x24 T5 HO fixture I've had forever. Im running a filter sock on one end and filter floss and carbon on the other. I dont have any SPS corals, and I'm not adding any. Softies, hammers, frogspawn and a plate coral are it. If I dont feel like I am keeping up the water quality with water changes I'll consider a skimmer, but not until then.

I was originally going to skip the ATO and just do manual top off. Before I set everything up I had a gut feeling that I should splurge for one. I'm glad I did! This thing would never keep an even water level if I didn't have the ATO. Its probably the best $100 ive thrown into this money pit already!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pictures (Iphone camera finds it hard to focus shooting into the tank). But these were added yesterday. Already have three different Zoas in the tank. I let these settle on the bottom while I places the rock anemones, figuring they'd move a bit overnight. I was right, well, partially. One remained where it was placed. The other, the green one, is no where to be found. It was placed the same height as the other but on the same side as the powerhead. While it didn't get direct flow on it, my guess is it didn't like the flow. My guess is it retreated somewhere into the rock work, or on the back of the rockwork where I can not see it. Everything else is doing well this morning. Going to move some Zoas around this afternoon and attach the others.

On a side note I believe I fixed my skimmer, well to some extent. I had tremendous micro bubble issues. I removed the skimmer and ran it in a container of water/vinegar for a few hours. I removed the pump and lines afterwards for cleaning. I noticed that there was significant salt build up in the small attachment outgoing line connector of the pump. The opening left was maybe a pinhole. Cleaned and put back together. However, in the process the venturie air valve uptop got snapped off in the process. Attempted to glue it back on without an success. Ran it wide open without any issue. But, the noise got to me and I couldn't tune it so I bought a replacement IM valve, drilled out the plastic and got it to seat inside. When reinstalling i added and airline on the other side of the air valve. Has worked great since then and the noise has been reduced greatly.

Ive got some algae issues starting. Originally I had bryopsis that I was going to treat but the three small areas disappeared. Now there are a ton of small waving single shoots of algae all over the rock work, not longer than a quarter inch. Ill have to wait and treat once this corona virus stuff settles down and I have access to water again. I don't have and RODI system in my house and not going to put people at risk over water at this point.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's been a bit that has happened since the last post. One of my RFT's didnt make it. Not sure what happened. He was in the tank at that same height as the other but moved as expected. Found a very small body of him when doing a clean up later that day. Unfortunately he didn't make it. All the others are doing well. My bryopsis has come back with a vengeance. I had reef flux in my fish cabinet but was reluctant to use it due to having a limited supply of water and my current supply shut down due to the pandemic. It started to grow rapidly and getting closer the frags in my tank. I made the decision this morning to start the treatment and hope things go back to somewhat normal in three weeks and can access more water. Fingers crossed. Additionally, there was a very small particle of reef flux that didnt mix apparently and saw it coming out of my return. Dumb clown fish ate it instantly. I'm sure itll have no impact on his as itll be taking it in for the next several weeks, just mentioning that hes kind of dumb.

Wish me luck with the death of this bryopsis!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few days since starting the reef flux treatment for bryopsis. Haven't seen a lick of change regarding the color of the algae, the amount of coverage it has taken residency over on the rocks. Staying hopeful, it says that it can take several weeks for it to take full effect. If not, I have enough for another Dose. Worried that it will slowly take over my corals and suffocate them out of existence. Guess i'm going to wait it out and see what happens.

Side note: kicked my skimmer back on today after the three day waiting period. While my skimmer isn't loud it is wildly noticeable after running 4 days without it!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD9FE28B-5F90-44C2-8F35-546274204F50.jpeg
24BDF54C-4AE2-4C32-96F1-8C6F604395C9.jpeg
nearly a week into my reef flux treatment and haven’t seen much of a difference. If anything, several strands are getting thicker than they were previously. I still have not done a water change-in about another week will be my 30% water change. However, the pics I’ve posted above are of my gonipora. The closed one is how it was during the first three days of the treatment without having the skimmer on. The image on the bottom is less than 24 hours after I turned my skimmer back on. It’s pulling out massive amounts of funky water. Hopefully it has some impact on killing this nasty bryopsis.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole takes a bit to do it's thing. I didn't start seeing anything for nearly a week. Then it started getting pale, and then it started getting thinner, then it was gone. Great way to get rid of it - I didn't lose anything.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole takes a bit to do it's thing. I didn't start seeing anything for nearly a week. Then it started getting pale, and then it started getting thinner, then it was gone. Great way to get rid of it - I didn't lose anything.
I’m about 11 days in. Hasn’t thinned or lost any color. I believe I followed all directions correctly (wasn’t complicated). Not sure what’s going on. I’ll give until the water change and try a second dose if needed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back