Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can get the ALK in the effluent up to 28-30 max @ internal PH of 6.40-6.45, but the effluent is then not sufficient anymore to feed the ALK demand of the tank. And as well a second chamber, which is fed with the low PH effluent which also strips a bit of ALK out of the second chamber until PH inside the chamber is consumed and comes out with a higher PH as out of the reactor itself. The second chamber gives you a bit of ALK too if your CARX is on the border. The problem I see with REBORN is that it's real coral and has less ALK available as comparable pure calcium media!!!!
Means pure calcium media would provide more ALK and CA, but unfortunately less other trace elements that are going to be released out of the reborn media. Hope it makes sense to you.
If you can't get enough ALK out of the reactor, go with another chamber, if still issues you can use a mix of reborn and pure calcium media, then only pure calcium media and if that brings you at a point for the need of even more ALK, then you also could use the DASTACO calcium reactor media which is even more effective than other pure calcium media.
I like the fact of reborn releasing a lot of traces as part of the media since the supplementation of traces is more stable.
However, Reborn only won't replenish completely the trace demand of a thriving tank from my experience at least.

Thanks for the info I have a second chamber. Seems like I'm not getting enough ask out of my media.
Are you using arm media too?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I have a second chamber. Seems like I'm not getting enough ask out of my media.
Are you using arm media too?
No I use only Reborn and Remag.
used other media such as Coral Lazarus but it's a mined mineral and also increased my Bromine levels when the PH in the Carx was on the low range.
I stick to Reborn. Not sure about the ARM media. You may need to watch trace elements then more often via ICP if you use pure media.
Try ARM in the second chamber only first! Also make sure the PH probe is calibrated!!!
In Carx the internal pressure lead to positive pressure on the probe hence the probe need more often calibration.

Gibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your good explanation Andre! For XL NP Pellets you mean the reduce biopellets? It's a continuous carbon source right?
So, you are using that to maintin low the phosphates but with disadvantage that it reduce the nitrate to 0, dosing it you maintain the nitrate in ratio with phosphates. Right?
Ok andre but are you using the vibe in automatic mode? How many vibe cycle?
And what brand of pellets are you using?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre your tank is a bigger than mine how much effluent flow are you doing?
If you screen through the thread you occasionally see my CARX calculations.
My latest measurement was as per below:

For my own history - Calcium reactor performance
Effluent Rate : 98ml/min
Effluent ALK rate : 19 dkH
Total 98*60*19 = 112,000 ALK/h
Tank ALK stable at 8.9 according to Salifert

I prefer to run higher effluent rates to maintain a PH in the reactor of 6.6-6.7 somewhere. I noticed the lower PH likely does dissolve the magnesium media mixed in faster, and since it is a mined mineral, it also releases other trace elements then in too high concentrations. One example is Bromine release ended up too high.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok andre but are you using the vibe in automatic mode? How many vibe cycle?
And what brand of pellets are you using?
Vibe is still not connected, simply no need for it.
The reactor need to be full of mulm. If it feels like "Man that thing is clogged and need a vibe" then it's exactly where it needs to be.
On my old tank I vibed it at one point once a day for 30 seconds.

I use the white XL NP pellets from Reef Interest.
Well, those are not been made anymore so I have to switch to the XL AIO pellets soon ;-(
Hope they do the same good job.
It's been declared those need only to be refilled, however to me it looks they need partial replacement every 6 months or so. Like 1/3 of the used volume.

The good thing is you can measure with some Nitrates in the tank, the delta of No3 before and after the reactor. That tells you how the reactor is performing.
But this thing need to be full of gunk for that.

I had the reactor given to a local store and they dropped Nitrates down to zero after one week in their system when they kept my SPS corals after the tank disaster for a few months ;-)

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a picture of the temporary CARX setup with second chamber and a 3rd degassing chamber which is fed with C02 scrubbed air, bringing the effluent back to PH of 8

Can you explain how you have the third degassing chamber set up? I’m not understanding the set up.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain how you have the third degassing chamber set up? I’m not understanding the set up.

This 3rd Chamber is one of a kind, never saw something like this before and I came up with that, but know other people do a similar thing where they simply aerate the effluent prior they feed the effluent into the tank.
Glad you're asking. Wasn't sure if my description is sufficient.

So the Calcium reactor effluent exits the reactor with PH of 6.6/6.7 normally. Then the effluent line connects into the second classic chamber filled with reborn. That exits with a PH of 7.1/7.2 and the exit line has the Needle valve installed.

The 3rd degassing chamber is simply a modified media reactor that was been used in the past as a 2nd chamber. I found the PH of the effluent is still too low hence I thought about a degassing chamber. I drilled a few more holes. One hole allows to enter an airline which I used a simple wood stone at the bottom of this chamber for aeration. On the top the regular exit line is now used for air and gas release. Below the top lid (about 1") I drilled a hole and installed another tube that the effluent can naturally overflow out of this chamber/reactor back into the tank.
So almost the entire effluent/water column is continuously aerated with scrubbed air, that's it.
I modified an air pump where I drilled the casing of the air pump in order to be able to connect it to a Phosban scrubber filled with Soda Lime co2 removal media. Also I siliconed and sealed all gaps on the air pump to make it tight so it does only pulls air through the co2 scrubber!
So I run around 100ml/min of effluent through this chamber/reactor and it brings up the PH of the effluent to about 8-8.1 at the moment which is great since the tank PH went up as well by doing that. The soda lime filling probably lasts for many weeks in that arrangement.
I can recommend this to everyone who wants to get his PH a bit higher ;-)

Hope that helps :p
Happy Reefing guys!

-Andre

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really a cool idea. I’m having a bit of trouble visualizing it though. Could you snap a few photos?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really a cool idea. I’m having a bit of trouble visualizing it though. Could you snap a few photos?

I think it’s just using mixing the effluent with air from an air pump that draws from C02 absorbing media. Simple enough- just raising pH.

Effluent—> <— air (after C02 absorbing)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s right ;-)

I wanted to do something similar with my RO water, which has low CO2 & is horrible for DI resin. But I haven’t made it yet- it is kind of difficult because it needs to be pressurized for water to be pushed throughout the DI, but also allow the fresh air to enter and exit.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do something similar with my RO water, which has low CO2 & is horrible for DI resin. But I haven’t made it yet- it is kind of difficult because it needs to be pressurized for water to be pushed throughout the DI, but also allow the fresh air to enter and exit.
I wouldn't worry too much as long its only for Top off.
2 ways to approach this issue.
a. A separate reservoir with levels switches in which the aeration takes place and then an additional pump setup that pumps the RO water through the DI resin etc. However, keeping a reservoir free of microbacterial growth on the long run is challenging.
b. Never saw them for the hobby but you can use media reactors suitable for the line pressure and use self venting air relief valves. Those are for example used on above Water supply lines throughout your neighborhood on bridges etc.
But not sure if you can find media reactors suitable for the water pressure if you use the RODI system with a Top off solenoid which basically would keep everything on pressure.
You would need to place the ATO solenoid prior the Degassing reactor and DI chamber so that only the Top off water gets trough the low pressure components. Hope you can follow what I'm trying to explain, lol.

But again, wouldn't bother too much about the RO water.
I read the improvement on the DI resin with higher PH is not that significant in our hobby systems, but advanced industrial water treatment systems do something in the setup to get the PH up prior the DI stages.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term update on the Clarisea SK-5000 unit ;-)

Still would buy one, but definitely need to be removable every time you replace the roll if you do have it mounted in a stand.
Otherwise you run into the risk of sudden rampage or heart attack while maintaining the unit.
Also the big pipe in the bottom of the unit has a strainer type of grid along the pipe, which need routine cleaning.

The unit has a little adjustable release cover, that will allow to relief unfiltered water to the side back into the sump, which allows to adjust the food and particles to remain in the tank water.
Sort of adjusting the filtration efficiency.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back