Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term update on the Clarisea SK-5000 unit ;-)

Still would buy one, but definitely need to be removable every time you replace the roll if you do have it mounted in a stand.
Otherwise you run into the risk of sudden rampage or heart attack while maintaining the unit.
Also the big pipe in the bottom of the unit has a strainer type of grid along the pipe, which need routine cleaning.

The unit has a little adjustable release cover, that will allow to relief unfiltered water to the side back into the sump, which allows to adjust the food and particles to remain in the tank water.
Sort of adjusting the filtration efficiency.

Thank you for the information, Andre
I would like to see this in my tank in the future.
What is your Clarisea roll usage nowadays?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information, Andre
I would like to see this in my tank in the future.
What is your Clarisea roll usage nowadays?
Depending on the settings from full filtration to vs. partial relief on the clarisea, it last 2weeks to 4/5weeks.

2 weeks is when I close the relief opening which allows full volume filtration of about 1000GPH from both overflows.
I likely will run it in a future way that it will last 3-4weeks.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the settings from full filtration to vs. partial relief on the clarisea, it last 2weeks to 4/5weeks.

2 weeks is when I close the relief opening which allows full volume filtration of about 1000GPH from both overflows.
I likely will run it in a future way that it will last 3-4weeks.

Thank you for the information.
That setting would still make the rol replacement an important player in the yearly tank budget.
I think I will stay with washing socks for now. LOL

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information.
That setting would still make the rol replacement an important player in the yearly tank budget.
I think I will stay with washing socks for now. LOL
Remember in my case I do have a full tank of 300G to maintain.
A friend of mine runs it on a 200g system and gets about 8-10 weeks out of it ;-)

But still costs!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank... greater skimmer.

Is that a CO2 scrubber hanging on the side?

Yes, I always use Co2 scrubber.
I do see enormous improvements in water clarity, basically the haze in the water goes away means the old skimmer couldn't skim well enough unfortunately. Also the Skimz Monzter causes a lot of microbubbles into the sump.

I had Lifereef in the past and always loved the performance and features. It just did not fit my stand anymore so I tried the Monzter series and it worked up to this point of Livestock amount. Now I just had to switch to a bigger one.

Testing works really well so I ordered another 12" extension and the Venturi and will run it on a VarioS8 pump. So in future this skimmer will have to be installed outside the stand on the side.
Later I will have to enclose it into the furniture around the tank.

Measured yesterday my dissolved oxygen and it bumped up to 8.5mg/L which I expect will go even higher with the extension and the mods on the Skimmer.

As we all know, equipment grows with the tank system and it's Livestock, hence my philosophy is and was to remain flexible on the setup of the filtration system.
But wish there would be a smaller solution.......
The larger and taller water column is what makes the difference.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just caught back up on the last couple pages and the tank looks like it doubled in growth from the last time I looked! Absolutely amazing! ;Drool;Drool;Drool;Drool;Drool I wish I didn't murder acros or I'd beg you to buy some ;Facepalm;Hilarious

Question for you... when are you doing the final move? And what is your game plan for the move with all that stuff in the tank? Seems like a nightmare and anxiety attack. ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just caught back up on the last couple pages and the tank looks like it doubled in growth from the last time I looked! Absolutely amazing! ;Drool;Drool;Drool;Drool;Drool I wish I didn't murder acros or I'd beg you to buy some ;Facepalm;Hilarious

Question for you... when are you doing the final move? And what is your game plan for the move with all that stuff in the tank? Seems like a nightmare and anxiety attack. ;Nailbiting

Well the move I have in mind for early next year.
Concerning growing Acros with accelerated effect and still great colors it's simple.
You need at least some Nutrients and a great bacteria biology, a decent light with the needed spectrums, great water clarity for healthy corals, and some good food for the vitamins and metabolism. Clean and crisp water is a major key indicator for excellent water quality, of course not considering the Chemistry, that has to be measured!
Last but not least and of super importance you need to find a good way to have the overall chemistry in a good shape so you can rule out the chemistry being responsible for screw-ups or missing colors and growth.

Since my SPS forest is growing really well as you already noticed I clipped quite some frags and traded them in for equipment purchases ;-)
I'm pretty used to set up tanks in short time, it just need planning and a good understanding of the bacteria biology that shall not be negatively affected under any circumstances, otherwise you going to crash the tank system.
Plan is to buy a $1500-2000 frag system for the move. Urban Aquatics has some really nice ones I saw and think I go with one of these for the swap. Means I will setup another 200G frag system in my Foyer, fill it up with water and connect it to the main system for a few days so the water can mature and mix. Then I will bring over all Corals into the Frag system while keeping all Rocks submerged in buckets over to the other tank. That is important to avoid the bacteria in the rocks to partially die off.
Then I will bring in the equipment such as my Nitrate reactor and Carx etc. to the frag system as well.
All this is done while the two tanks sharing and exchanging water, so no rush and everything can take it's time. Maybe a bit inconvenient with 2" PVC piping though the house, but hey !!!!! Reefer Life, lol.
As soon everything is then in the Frag system up and running, I can cut off the Main tank and finish the remodeling in this room and when done I do all this again and the tank will be placed on the final spot. What I'm going to do with the frag system, no idea, likely selling it again.

So as you can see, it's not as dramatic if well planned and equipment is on hand.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the move I have in mind for early next year.
Concerning growing Acros with accelerated effect and still great colors it's simple.
You need at least some Nutrients and a great bacteria biology, a decent light with the needed spectrums, great water clarity for healthy corals, and some good food for the vitamins and metabolism. Clean and crisp water is a major key indicator for excellent water quality, of course not considering the Chemistry, that has to be measured!
Last but not least and of super importance you need to find a good way to have the overall chemistry in a good shape so you can rule out the chemistry being responsible for screw-ups or missing colors and growth.

Since my SPS forest is growing really well as you already noticed I clipped quite some frags and traded them in for equipment purchases ;-)
I'm pretty used to set up tanks in short time, it just need planning and a good understanding of the bacteria biology that shall not be negatively affected under any circumstances, otherwise you going to crash the tank system.
Plan is to buy a $1500-2000 frag system for the move. Urban Aquatics has some really nice ones I saw and think I go with one of these for the swap. Means I will setup another 200G frag system in my Foyer, fill it up with water and connect it to the main system for a few days so the water can mature and mix. Then I will bring over all Corals into the Frag system while keeping all Rocks submerged in buckets over to the other tank. That is important to avoid the bacteria in the rocks to partially die off.
Then I will bring in the equipment such as my Nitrate reactor and Carx etc. to the frag system as well.
All this is done while the two tanks sharing and exchanging water, so no rush and everything can take it's time. Maybe a bit inconvenient with 2" PVC piping though the house, but hey !!!!! Reefer Life, lol.
As soon everything is then in the Frag system up and running, I can cut off the Main tank and finish the remodeling in this room and when done I do all this again and the tank will be placed on the final spot. What I'm going to do with the frag system, no idea, likely selling it again.

So as you can see, it's not as dramatic if well planned and equipment is on hand.
A dedicated frag system sure beats rubbermaid totes ;Hilarious A very good and well thought out plan indeed! I am dreading moving mine and I am working on understanding the items you mentioned in your first paragraph. One talk with Ben set me on a great path but something is still happening in the water causing some problems. Your thread isn't the place to discuss my problems but I'd be more that happy to take it to PM's if you want to hear all about them :p

If you need any help with your move let me know, I work for nothing but good conversation! :D

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dedicated frag system sure beats rubbermaid totes ;Hilarious A very good and well thought out plan indeed! I am dreading moving mine and I am working on understanding the items you mentioned in your first paragraph. One talk with Ben set me on a great path but something is still happening in the water causing some problems. Your thread isn't the place to discuss my problems but I'd be more that happy to take it to PM's if you want to hear all about them :p

If you need any help with your move let me know, I work for nothing but good conversation! :D
Well, raise your questions or issues in your built thread and tag me there :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back