Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a total bummer. Thanks for letting me know though.
Couple of things happened.
Not sure if you were following this thread, had to change my pellets and used the new product which was quite disappointing and caused an over saturation of carbohydrates and a few SPS got infections as a result. Sniper was one of them.
So I took ASAP corrective action and removed the media and dosed ethyl alcohol to get the carbs out quick.
Then I changed to Zeolith.
Corals that were affected it’s did recover but Sniper got hit additionally by my nem.
It’s still covered slightly with tissue but not sure if it makes it!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So with all that trouble and frustration.........
I just weeded out the tank again and got rid of some calcium sucking weeds :p

That's more fun, lol.

Is that big one in the last picture the RP blueberry limeade? I got one from you a while back and that thing has exploded. Grows faster than Xenia

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that big one in the last picture the RP blueberry limeade? I got one from you a while back and that thing has exploded. Grows faster than Xenia
upload_2018-12-19_13-57-21.jpeg

Yes Sir, that’s it.
I had like 3 pieces like that I sold that I had to cut off to avoid this to take over the tank, lol.

Bring it high enough to the light and it brings out 5 colors. Really nice when all rims turn yellow ;-)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-12-19_13-57-21.jpeg

Yes Sir, that’s it.
I had like 3 pieces like that I sold that I had to cut off to avoid this to take over the tank, lol.

Bring it high enough to the light and it brings out 5 colors. Really nice when all rims turn yellow ;-)

4c075d93c1101bea4d8c74634b6aedfc.jpg

Getting there!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to supplement manganese?
Can't really talk about it until I'm a Forum Sponsor, but I do have my own Elements which of course I use....... unlimited supplies for me ;-)

However, I do started to use elementary Manganese of 0.1microgram/L daily which results in ~0.4ml of Manganese solution every day for every 100Gallon system volume. I dose as much daily as needed but only as much to keep it undetectable on the ICP.
In the last few months and as of now, I dose 0.3microgram/L which is needed to stay undetectable. That is approx. 3.5ml daily for my 300G system, the calculator does the details for me ;-)

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Everyone keeps mentioning this reef guide. Where do I pick one up? I don’t want to get you in trouble or myself in trouble but I will definitely like to get one.

Also reading through your stuff I know you’re big into bacteria for the reef tank. What are your thoughts on NoPox by redsea? I only dose it from time to time if I see my Nitrates or phosphates start to creep up. I personally feel it works too well and if I dosed it permanently my nutrients would be undetectable

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also reading through your stuff I know you’re big into bacteria for the reef tank. What are your thoughts on NoPox by redsea? I only dose it from time to time if I see my Nitrates or phosphates start to creep up. I personally feel it works too well and if I dosed it permanently my nutrients would be undetectable

Now that is a great question, short story, let your system develop, however you want to run it, I am all for minimum effort and watching my animals! ;)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone keeps mentioning this reef guide. Where do I pick one up? I don’t want to get you in trouble or myself in trouble but I will definitely like to get one.

NoPox is a mix apparently of Ethanol and carbohydrates.
Means similar to Vodka/Vinegar mix how DIY reefer mix it. Since they did not reveal the ingredients, it's hard to find out what the source of carbohydrates is!

Anyways, I would not just occasionally use it, better use much less, but daily and consistent to avoid bacteria population swings which will help you to establish a more stable environment of nutrients and organic waste levels in the tank!

My strategy is when it comes to overusing a method of nutrient reduction, just do less of what you do ;-)
Tricky is mostly the Po4 to get to the lower levels without absorber use, hence sometimes while getting Po4 low enough via bacteria consumption, No3 goes down to zero for too long and corals are starving from that environment and dosing No3 can be a hassle. For those cases I did use No3 factories such as filter socks with holes or carbon reactor housings filled with just filter fleece or bio balls. That is a more natural way to increase No3 in the system and reduce the need for additional dosing.

Hope that gives some ideas here ;-

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back