Anemone advice

amazonjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting an anemone next Friday. Help with preparation for it. Do I need to dip prior to adding to display tank.

Thanks

OP
OP
amazonjoe

amazonjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump.
I have an orbit USA led lights
The tank is 8 month old

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the Dip question I would highly suggest you do some more research as to which type of anemone you are getting and what it's care requirements are. But if you do want additional advice please also provide details about the tank set-up.

But to answer your question, no you do not have to dip an anemone as it more than likely would be shipped by itself. I would not however recommend adding any of the water that it was shipped in to your tank, but instead recommend a fair acclimation from your tank water to the shipped via say a 5 gallon buck and slow drip line.. The longer the time the better IMO to help the nem to expel its waste from shipment and to adjust to your tank.

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also what type of nem, and what type of flow... Based on that light and my lack of experience on it I can't offer much advice other than it sounds like a recipe for a disaster.. I would at least recommend you wait longer for your tank to become more established and you more accustomed to caring for the tank before getting the nem.. 8 months is not very long but if you are well experienced and/or knowledgeable it is possible with right water chemistry, lighting and flow..

OP
OP
amazonjoe

amazonjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b823059a9840da63ce2f9ff40c7f6be2.jpg

oneofmany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off on the anemone for now too. From the picture above your tank looks pretty sterile IMO. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but anemones do seem to do better in tanks that have been "seasoned" for awhile. GL.

OP
OP
amazonjoe

amazonjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ordered and will be coming next Friday. I was looking for advice as to being prepared before arriving next Friday. If I needed to buy something beforehand, I would have it ready. Again thanks.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a drip acclimation and place them where ever you wanted to,but away from power head.it will move to a comfortable place on it own

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting an anemone next Friday. Help with preparation for it. Do I need to dip prior to adding to display tank.

Thanks

I generally don't. Most my anemones come attached to nothing. I do rinse them with clean saltwater before placing them in my tank. I have a rainbow bta and about 30 something rock flower anemones.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back