Anemone advice

Djames707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an anemone about two weeks ago. The lfs has it mislabeled as a long tentacle anemone but it’s clearly a bta but for some reason the guy at the lfs will not admit to his mistake, he swears it’s a long tentacle. Anyways the nem is in good health but it wasn’t attaching anywhere. I know it can take a little while for it to find a spot it like best so at first I wasn’t worried because it’s always looked really healthy and opened up. My two clown fish started hosting it after about a week and it never seemed bothered. However today I noticed that there is either a dead crab or a molted shell of a crab (not from my tank) that is attached to the foot. So I’m pretty sure that’s why it hasn’t attached to anything. It still looks really healthy but I know the foot is really sensitive. Should I try removing the crab myself or just continue monitoring and wait and see if it lets it go on it’s own?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures may help but I'd just leave it be. I dont think that would keep it from settling anywhere, most likely it's still looking for a happy place and messing with its foot wont help.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures may help but I'd just leave it be. I dont think that would keep it from settling anywhere, most likely it's still looking for a happy place and messing with its foot wont help.
Could be a nem crab as well. Pics would def help

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190105_202102_01.gif

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I agree that it will most likely find it's happy place eventually. Keep a close eye on it though. Roaming nems and power heads don't mix well. Pictures may help.

OP
OP
D

Djames707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for such a late response I’ll post some pics very shortly

OP
OP
D

Djames707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was out of town this weekend and just got back a checked this forum I saw people asking for pics so I went to take them and now it released it but it still isn’t attaching, here are some pics. Does the foot still look healthy?

E0D4197E-1A26-4AD3-8C07-6922EF99BED9.jpeg 6EE1547A-B76E-4A3D-BB6F-5C5D715587C1.jpeg 3499DD69-1BFD-464A-9C7B-152E302942D7.jpeg A2D7C7E4-DF46-4056-8F0D-836E5E07ACA4.jpeg

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any damage to the foot of that nem, so I would say it looks. I agree that it is not a long tentacle. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of anemones will chime in. I have had many nems over the years and I am quite confident that is NOT a bubbletip. If I was throwing my somewhat educated guess in the hat, I would say that is a bleached Sebae.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R. Based on the pics I’m wondering if you’ve got a Sebae. Have you seen different shape tips or colors on the tentacles?

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any damage to the foot of that nem, so I would say it looks. I agree that it is not a long tentacle. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of anemones will chime in. I have had many nems over the years and I am quite confident that is NOT a bubbletip. If I was throwing my somewhat educated guess in the hat, I would say that is a bleached Sebae.

... I’m also going to second that it appears bleached. The foot looks really good to me. No damage to any flesh.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be a lta as well as sabae...try burying its foot in the sand under or against a rock.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, looks like a bleached sebae to me, and could be why it hasn't attached yet(still trying to find a "happy" place. Try burying the foot at the crevice of a rock and your sandbed. Don't really bury it, just push some sand over the foot so it doesn't float around.

This is how I got all my nems to attach. They may not attach right away, but they all eventually do and they typically stay in that spot if it's where they like to be.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no such thing as a "sebae" anemone. Looks like H. crispa to me.
Same anemone, common hobby name, scientific name.

Seriously though, most people couldn't tell you any scientific name of any animals in our tanks, so why bother trying to buck the system?

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sebae is a name given to multiple different species. It's not like "yellow" tang, "bubble tip" anemone or "picasso" clownfish, where we all know what species we're talking about. "Sebae" is just a name wholesalers/retailers give to anemones when they don't know what it is. Especially if it's bleached. I've seen crispa, malu, magnifica, and doreensis labeled as Sebae.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry didn't mean to come off as combative.

I've only ever seen H. crispa listed as a "sebae" in my list of LFS's I visit, and why I said common name/scientific name.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not a BTA. M. doreenssis, H. malu or H. crispa are all not out of the question. Once and if he regain his health, we can ID him much better by photo. As is, it is rather difficult to be certain. Best guess is Doreensis.
Maybe I am imagine it, but one of the tentacles seem to have bulb and bands on it. If this is true, then it could be a H. malu. However, the verticle lines (only on some part of the column) of the verrucae points to Doreensis. Malu and Crispa have less verrucae and random pattern rather than vertical lines. Coloration of the foot tend to fade with the decrease in health of the anemone so not having a bright orange foot is not a reason to rule out Doreensis.
It is rather bleached, but not completely bleached and not deflated so it is good. I recommend that you wedge him between a concave rock and the sand, or two rocks, with a concave rock or oyster shell. He will have the best chance of attach to the rock this way. Smooth concave area will not puncture him or crush him.

Good luck with him.

Last edited:
Back