Anemone Advice

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to pull the trigger on an Anemone. It’s been a while since I last kept one so was wondering if there is anything I should look out for.

I am going to try my LFS first for a good specimen, if I can’t find anything I’ll order online.

I have a pair of clowns and personally I think they would look so much better in the tank if they hosted an anemone. Now I know I’m not guaranteed that to happen but I need to try.

Any tip or tricks? Also advice on the type to get? I know I don’t want a carpet but I do want it to look awesome!!

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally enjoy the rainbow bubble tips. I had a pair of clowns that hosted in my green bbt and it benefited greatly from the symbiotic relationship. I currently have the green and rainbow and a newer pair of clowns that could care less about their existence, I do not find any benefit to some of the techniques of getting them to host such as chasing them into it. I once had a large carpet anemone (10") and it nearly ate all my livestock.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally enjoy the rainbow bubble tips. I had a pair of clowns that hosted in my green bbt and it benefited greatly from the symbiotic relationship. I currently have the green and rainbow and a newer pair of clowns that could care less about their existence, I do not find any benefit to some of the techniques of getting them to host such as chasing them into it. I once had a large carpet anemone (10") and it nearly ate all my livestock.
Thanks ! I just called Aqualocker & Liveaqauria to see if I could get a last minute or in but no Beuno!

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Along the BTA line be aware that they could over run a tank. I always thought I had it bad with 11 to 14 at one point but I've seen others on a few boards that over ran their tank similar to GSP or Xenia. We started with 1, then it split, then again. Picked up another tank and moved, more splits. Merged into a 40 breeder, more showed up. Gave some away, rinse repeat until I upgraded to my current 210.

I like BTA's and now holding steady at about 7 roses at various sizes. The original was picked up at a LFS so no fancy name. Just rose bubble tip. What is interesting through is that all of mine are from the original and vary in color. Some have really pronounced cream swirls mixed in and others are a bit more green if that makes sense. All are more or less the same base red orange color though.

I have a pair of Black & White Percula - true or not I honestly don't remember and I'm pretty sure my LFS would have marked it wrong anyway - but they took to the nems in about a month. Not sure if this helps at all but they are fun to have. Pretty easy to care fore. Get food on their own. I'll give them reef roids at times. Mysis on others. Stay away from silver sides. Other than that - enjoy the ride Shagster :)

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along the BTA line be aware that they could over run a tank. I always thought I had it bad with 11 to 14 at one point but I've seen others on a few boards that over ran their tank similar to GSP or Xenia. We started with 1, then it split, then again. Picked up another tank and moved, more splits. Merged into a 40 breeder, more showed up. Gave some away, rinse repeat until I upgraded to my current 210.

I like BTA's and now holding steady at about 7 roses at various sizes. The original was picked up at a LFS so no fancy name. Just rose bubble tip. What is interesting through is that all of mine are from the original and vary in color. Some have really pronounced cream swirls mixed in and others are a bit more green if that makes sense. All are more or less the same base red orange color though.

I have a pair of Black & White Percula - true or not I honestly don't remember and I'm pretty sure my LFS would have marked it wrong anyway - but they took to the nems in about a month. Not sure if this helps at all but they are fun to have. Pretty easy to care fore. Get food on their own. I'll give them reef roids at times. Mysis on others. Stay away from silver sides. Other than that - enjoy the ride Shagster :)
Thanks !

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! I just called Aqualocker & Liveaqauria to see if I could get a last minute or in but no Beuno!
I would shy away from getting an anemone form online stores as you are not guaranteed the one in the picture unless you are using diver den or wyswyg. Find a good and reputable LFS even travel for one a little bit to pick out your specimen.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some general questions for you:

1. How big is the tank and how long has it been set up? What type of lighting do you have?

2. What type of clownfish do you have?

3. Do you want to challenge yourself, or do you want an easy-to-acclimate species?

4. Where do you want the anemone to live? In the rockwork or in the sand?

Once you answer these questions, we can narrow down your choices.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back