Anemone died, what to do now

RVA_MixedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my white long tentacle anemone had been closed up and hanging upside down for the last few days. This morning I noticed he had moved by my other anemone and it looked like he was slowly dissolving and I had read that if they’re dying too look at there mouth to see if it was spitting it’s insides out, which it was so I got him out of there. Anything I should be on the look out for or anything? I know a dying anemone can cause havoc but I don’t know what exactly it is I need to look for

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my white long tentacle anemone had been closed up and hanging upside down for the last few days. This morning I noticed he had moved by my other anemone and it looked like he was slowly dissolving and I had read that if they’re dying too look at there mouth to see if it was spitting it’s insides out, which it was so I got him out of there. Anything I should be on the look out for or anything? I know a dying anemone can cause havoc but I don’t know what exactly it is I need to look for
If you got it out before melting, you should be good as long as you are running some carbon.

If bit of the nem are in the sand bed or floating around, it would be good to siphon them out and possibly do a water change to make sure you do not have any ammonia build up.

Other than that, just watch the tank and watch the fish. Heavy and fast breathing could be an indicator of ammonia. If you see that, then you may need a very large water change to correct.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had said nem? What's your nitrate, phosphate, alk calcium and magnesium, salinity, temp and more info about your tank will help @Eagle_Steve give you better info. He is our nem expert.

OP
OP
R

RVA_MixedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got it out before melting, you should be good as long as you are running some carbon.

If bit of the nem are in the sand bed or floating around, it would be good to siphon them out and possibly do a water change to make sure you do not have any ammonia build up.

Other than that, just watch the tank and watch the fish. Heavy and fast breathing could be an indicator of ammonia. If you see that, then you may need a very large water change to correct.
I haven’t started carbon yet, still new and to the coral care and reef keeping so I just recently learned about running carbon and the benefits. I have planned to start soon

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t started carbon yet, still new and to the coral care and reef keeping so I just recently learned about running carbon and the benefits. I have planned to start soon
Sorry about your nem.
Carbon is a great way to remove toxins from your water. I would suggest putting some in for a week or so just in case. You don't have to run carbon all the time; in fact a lot of people feel it should only be used as needed.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

THIS. Nem dying and started to decay before I realized it ended up spiking ammonia and killing all my fish and one cleaner shrimp overnight a couple months back... almost made me throw in the towel. Good thing you got it out - just keeep a close eye on livestock and I'd also recommend an extra water change.

Back