Anemone died, what to do now

RVA_MixedReefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2022
Messages
11
Reaction score
3
Location
Richmond, Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my white long tentacle anemone had been closed up and hanging upside down for the last few days. This morning I noticed he had moved by my other anemone and it looked like he was slowly dissolving and I had read that if they’re dying too look at there mouth to see if it was spitting it’s insides out, which it was so I got him out of there. Anything I should be on the look out for or anything? I know a dying anemone can cause havoc but I don’t know what exactly it is I need to look for
 
So my white long tentacle anemone had been closed up and hanging upside down for the last few days. This morning I noticed he had moved by my other anemone and it looked like he was slowly dissolving and I had read that if they’re dying too look at there mouth to see if it was spitting it’s insides out, which it was so I got him out of there. Anything I should be on the look out for or anything? I know a dying anemone can cause havoc but I don’t know what exactly it is I need to look for
If you got it out before melting, you should be good as long as you are running some carbon.

If bit of the nem are in the sand bed or floating around, it would be good to siphon them out and possibly do a water change to make sure you do not have any ammonia build up.

Other than that, just watch the tank and watch the fish. Heavy and fast breathing could be an indicator of ammonia. If you see that, then you may need a very large water change to correct.
 
You should do an ICP test to see if something in your water is harming your nems.
 
So my white long tentacle anemone had been closed up and hanging upside down for the last few days. This morning I noticed he had moved by my other anemone and it looked like he was slowly dissolving and I had read that if they’re dying too look at there mouth to see if it was spitting it’s insides out, which it was so I got him out of there. Anything I should be on the look out for or anything? I know a dying anemone can cause havoc but I don’t know what exactly it is I need to look for
How long have you had said nem? What's your nitrate, phosphate, alk calcium and magnesium, salinity, temp and more info about your tank will help @Eagle_Steve give you better info. He is our nem expert.
 
If you got it out before melting, you should be good as long as you are running some carbon.

If bit of the nem are in the sand bed or floating around, it would be good to siphon them out and possibly do a water change to make sure you do not have any ammonia build up.

Other than that, just watch the tank and watch the fish. Heavy and fast breathing could be an indicator of ammonia. If you see that, then you may need a very large water change to correct.
I haven’t started carbon yet, still new and to the coral care and reef keeping so I just recently learned about running carbon and the benefits. I have planned to start soon
 
I haven’t started carbon yet, still new and to the coral care and reef keeping so I just recently learned about running carbon and the benefits. I have planned to start soon
Sorry about your nem.
Carbon is a great way to remove toxins from your water. I would suggest putting some in for a week or so just in case. You don't have to run carbon all the time; in fact a lot of people feel it should only be used as needed.
 
If you got it out before melting, you should be good as long as you are running some carbon.

If bit of the nem are in the sand bed or floating around, it would be good to siphon them out and possibly do a water change to make sure you do not have any ammonia build up.

Other than that, just watch the tank and watch the fish. Heavy and fast breathing could be an indicator of ammonia. If you see that, then you may need a very large water change to correct.
THIS. Nem dying and started to decay before I realized it ended up spiking ammonia and killing all my fish and one cleaner shrimp overnight a couple months back... almost made me throw in the towel. Good thing you got it out - just keeep a close eye on livestock and I'd also recommend an extra water change.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new