Anemone dying? Partly detached and face turning white.

cameron_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m new to reef2reef not sure this is the right place to post this but I need help with one of my RFA. It detached a few days ago and my skunk shrimp has been bullying the hell out of it for a few days. It condition seems better then the first few days but now a small part of its face has turned white and I’m not sure weather to give it a shot or dump it before I get nuked.

0EB85BAB-9B66-40E0-BFF4-C323D357DE17.jpeg
21727E15-3413-42A3-A6A1-3E6216A06708.jpeg
M

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! :) First of all, welcome on board!

It is never fun when your livestock isn't fairing well - it is extremely frustrating!

Tell us a bit about your tank! How old is it, what are your parameters like and so on. Anemones rarely thrive in new tanks, however LFS's in the UK love to sell them to you anyway..

I'd read this post on the subject too!

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your correct watch it doesn’t wreck your tank . Most signs of nems not to well are gaping mouth and not footed any more also tentacles dropping off and if you smell your water it will smell like death you won’t mistake it . As

CasperOe said how old your tank older tanks are more stable . Water quality good and stable . Lighting and medium flow all go into account with nems . Have you got a qt if it’s not footed you could move it to the q tank​

OP
OP
C

cameron_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! :) First of all, welcome on board!

It is never fun when your livestock isn't fairing well - it is extremely frustrating!

Tell us a bit about your tank! How old is it, what are your parameters like and so on. Anemones rarely thrive in new tanks, however LFS's in the UK love to sell them to you anyway..

I'd read this post on the subject too!
Hello there and thank you. My tank is 1.5 years old I’d say it’s matured plenty of coralline algae everywhere and most things thrive.
Parameters from last test date 23/5/23
No3: 15ppm
Po4: 0.05
Ph: 8.15
Alk: 10.4
Mag: 1290
Calc: 430
All other live stock happy and healthy. Other RFA are very happy just this one’s been bullied a lot by my cleaner shrimp and actually spat out some food earlier today but seems to be in stable condition for now.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there and thank you. My tank is 1.5 years old I’d say it’s matured plenty of coralline algae everywhere and most things thrive.
All other live stock happy and healthy. Other RFA are very happy just this one’s been bullied a lot by my cleaner shrimp and actually spat out some food earlier today but seems to be in stable condition for now.
Yeah pal, nothing there looks out of whack in any way. Nems are fickle little creatures to keep, could be flow, light or something else.

Sometimes livestock die without us understanding why. Hopefully someone here might be able to assist further, maybe the @Nman can help us out here..

Have lost my share of anemones over the past couple of years until they finally settled in the tank and started feeling at home. Witchcraft i'd say..

OP
OP
C

cameron_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your correct watch it doesn’t wreck your tank . Most signs of nems not to well are gaping mouth and not footed any more also tentacles dropping off and if you smell your water it will smell like death you won’t mistake it . As

CasperOe said how old your tank older tanks are more stable . Water quality good and stable . Lighting and medium flow all go into account with nems . Have you got a qt if it’s not footed you could move it to the q tank​

So far it’s stable no signs of it getting worst and it has opened up a bit more today which is good.
No smell, tentacle loss, gaping mouth or turning to goo yet.
Although it’s not fully footed and has a patch where it’s lost colour.
Im keeping a close eye on it for now if it gets worst I’m going to chuck it sadly.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your temperature? Anything close to it which could maybe sting it? What kind of fish do you have?

OP
OP
C

cameron_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah pal, nothing there looks out of whack in any way. Nems are fickle little creatures to keep, could be flow, light or something else.

Sometimes livestock die without us understanding why. Hopefully someone here might be able to assist further, maybe the @Nman can help us out here..

Have lost my share of anemones over the past couple of years until they finally settled in the tank and started feeling at home. Witchcraft i'd say..
Ah fair enough he’s in low flow and lower light right now so I’ll cross my fingers he makes it.
Thank you very much for your help Caspar. :)

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd say the cleaner was trying to get the food that the anemone had in it's mouth. This is why I don't keep cleaner shrimp with anemones anymore. They will always try to steal the anemone's food which, in my experience, causes the anemone to become irritated / closed up.

OP
OP
C

cameron_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what happened! I fed them mysis on Sunday and for two days after that the cleaner shrimp was non stop picking at it.

I'd say the cleaner was trying to get the food that the anemone had in its mouth. This is why I don't keep cleaner shrimp with anemones anymore. They will always try to steal the anemone's food which, in my experience, causes the anemone to become irritated / closed up.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only parameter I don't like is the ALK. I like my ALK lower in my Clown/Anemone tank.
What light are you using? How often to you change water? How do you top off the water? What powerhead do you have in the tank. My concern is too much light...

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Exactly what happened! I fed them mysis on Sunday and for two days after that the cleaner shrimp was non stop picking at it.
Yep...that's what happened with my cleaner and some BTAs. If any of the mysis shrimp got into the anemone's mouth, the cleaner would dig it out and that would really upset the anemones...so much so that I ended up giving the cleaner away because it wouldn't leave the anemones alone anymore. It was constantly digging in their mouths looking for food...and I fed my tank 2-3 times a day back then so the cleaner should've had plenty of food without needing to steal more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back