Anemone Expelling Zooxanthellae or Waste?

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there R2R community!

I bought a Black Widow BTA about a week ago and the colors on it are really stunning. However, when I first received the BTA, the mouth was gaping open and expelling brown sludge. I drip acclimated the anemone for about two hours and then placed it in an acclimation box in my display tank. This specific BTA has been shrinking up out of nowhere and then completely inflating shortly afterwards (nothing I wasn't expecting). However the anemone continues to release a relatively large amount of brown sludge on daily basis even though I have not been feeding it everyday. Because of this I am wondering if the BTA is simply expelling zooxanthellae since it is now being exposed to new lighting? I would love some input from some seasoned anemone keepers. Here are some pictures for reference :
20210520_153323.jpg
20210520_175605.jpg 20210524_211026.jpg

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look too happy. Gaping mouth is not a good sign.

water parameters? Lighting?
Salinity = 1.023
pH = 8.1
Alk =7.9
Calcium = 548
Magnesium = 1201
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 2
Phosphate = 0

Lighting : AI Prime HD for an LPS dominate tank

The mouth was gaping even before I started the drip acclimation. I just thought it was stressed from the overnight shipping. But it continues to open its mouth but then closes its mouth when it is inflated. I'm really just concerned about why it is expelling so much brown sludge within short periods of time

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity = 1.023
pH = 8.1
Alk =7.9
Calcium = 548
Magnesium = 1201
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 2
Phosphate = 0

Lighting : AI Prime HD for an LPS dominate tank

The mouth was gaping even before I started the drip acclimation. I just thought it was stressed from the overnight shipping. But it continues to open its mouth but then closes its mouth when it is inflated. I'm really just concerned about why it is expelling so much brown sludge within short periods of time
Could be adjusting to new tank / lighting expelling it’s zooxanthellae. 0 phosphate reading could be bad as well and could start Dino’s bloom, lastly I would increase salinity to 1.026. If it continues to decline it could be a bacterial infection from shipping and needs cipro

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be adjusting to new tank / lighting expelling it’s zooxanthellae. 0 phosphate reading could be bad as well and could start Dino’s bloom, lastly I would increase salinity to 1.026. If it continues to decline it could be a bacterial infection from shipping and needs cipro
I already have some cipro on hand. How much longer should I wait before using the cipro? I have had the anemone for a week at this point. It's looking pretty good today though!
16219741048206563098487958227786.jpg
16219741326917248942008587620903.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deflating is normal. When it looks like chewed gum or melting is the issue. Nitrate may be a little low. It's still bubbling up so I think you're being paranoid at least for the time being.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deflating is normal. When it looks like chewed gum or melting is the issue. Nitrate may be a little low. It's still bubbling up so I think you're being paranoid at least for the time being.
I'm still new to keeping anemones so I really just want to get people's opinions. I feel like as long is it inflates daily and doesn't always have it's mouth open then it'll be okay in the long run

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?

bg2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you target feeding them something semi-solid that they might be expelling the waste from? I've noticed our RBTAs do that occasionally. They do seem to be happy getting target fed at least once weekly though (1 piece of freeze dried krill with the harder tail section removed from a long wooden BBQ skewer). Growing quite quickly after we started target feeding vs. just letting them filter feed.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you target feeding them something semi-solid that they might be expelling the waste from? I've noticed our RBTAs do that occasionally. They do seem to be happy getting target fed at least once weekly though (1 piece of freeze dried krill with the harder tail section removed from a long wooden BBQ skewer). Growing quite quickly after we started target feeding vs. just letting them filter feed.
It was probably fed before it was shipped. I haven't tried feeding it at all yet

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been following... always learning. BTA’s are tricky. I have (finally) got 2 happy BTA’s. I'm (still) learning... I’ll pass along what I’ve been told and things that helped me. The best advice... I got on here... from someone (name on here) is footgal.... Go look at her tank collection... it’s amazing. She’s so young to be expert level. So... I asked her.
She told me to increase biodiversity... you need great light and nutrients in the system. I got something called ocean magic and pods ... most comes from algae barn, but Amazon, BRS, marine depot... all sell it. It was like magic, it never looked so good. Nice and bubbly, almost doubled in size it was so puffy. I wasn’t sure what to expect. If this stuff would make my parameters go crazy or make my water dirty/cloudy. Everything looked/tests were good. Also, temperatures seems to affect mine. 79 seems to be the sweet spot. I can tell 80 and above, is too much. I tried to get away with 80 for my corals but, it’s moody. Also, increase your salinity (gradually) ..at least 1.025.... I keep mine 1.026.. I will let it get to 1.027 and anything above that I use the ATO to dial it down. Oh.. and I feed it once a week. I do a small piece of shrimp (thawed/not, the whole thing) or a piece of a silverside ... really gross... but, they like it. Make sure you turn off all your jets/wavemaker...it’s good to use tongs.. drop it a couple inches from its mouth... make sure that you don’t touch it, especially the mouth. It doesn’t take much to damage or tear the mouth... plus, they like to catch it. Their tentacles are like Velcro to food. If you haven’t seen one eat yet.... it’s awesome. It never gets old to me. Also, keep in mind what goes in has to come out... it’s nasty, but normal. They can look pretty awful, shrink, tentacles can look like strings... but, they should inflate again. They do this at least once, to a couple times a day. If they get mad and they do ... their fits are something else. I’ve had it float, like a ball, around my tank. And, get mad and literally walk off. Patience.lol
You’re doing fine, try not to worry. It’s looking much better. When I saw the gaping mouth pic, I was worried. It’s got to get settled. Good luck! BTA’s are so fun to watch. I’ve been doing this a couple years and I’ve yet to have a clownfish host it! Still hoping...
Keep us posted!

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, forgot something.... your light should be sufficient. You don’t have to feed them, they can live on light alone. I do, to help it along and I like to watch it eat. Also... (you may already know this) if a clownfish hosts the anemone (later) you can stop feeding it. The clownfish brings nutrients to it/will care for it, for life. I haven’t been so lucky.... not yet... still wishful thinking :)
Also, if you know the lighting, where it came from... try to replicate it. If it’s bright white lights/regular pet store lights or actinic. If you are unsure ... start off dim/actinic and gradually set it to your preference. I do lots of actinic, with 2 hours of white/colors (not, crazy bright/ around 75-125 PAR)... like a shady day... lol

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been following... always learning. BTA’s are tricky. I have (finally) got 2 happy BTA’s. I'm (still) learning... I’ll pass along what I’ve been told and things that helped me. The best advice... I got on here... from someone (name on here) is footgal.... Go look at her tank collection... it’s amazing. She’s so young to be expert level. So... I asked her.
She told me to increase biodiversity... you need great light and nutrients in the system. I got something called ocean magic and pods ... most comes from algae barn, but Amazon, BRS, marine depot... all sell it. It was like magic, it never looked so good. Nice and bubbly, almost doubled in size it was so puffy. I wasn’t sure what to expect. If this stuff would make my parameters go crazy or make my water dirty/cloudy. Everything looked/tests were good. Also, temperatures seems to affect mine. 79 seems to be the sweet spot. I can tell 80 and above, is too much. I tried to get away with 80 for my corals but, it’s moody. Also, increase your salinity (gradually) ..at least 1.025.... I keep mine 1.026.. I will let it get to 1.027 and anything above that I use the ATO to dial it down. Oh.. and I feed it once a week. I do a small piece of shrimp (thawed/not, the whole thing) or a piece of a silverside ... really gross... but, they like it. Make sure you turn off all your jets/wavemaker...it’s good to use tongs.. drop it a couple inches from its mouth... make sure that you don’t touch it, especially the mouth. It doesn’t take much to damage or tear the mouth... plus, they like to catch it. Their tentacles are like Velcro to food. If you haven’t seen one eat yet.... it’s awesome. It never gets old to me. Also, keep in mind what goes in has to come out... it’s nasty, but normal. They can look pretty awful, shrink, tentacles can look like strings... but, they should inflate again. They do this at least once, to a couple times a day. If they get mad and they do ... their fits are something else. I’ve had it float, like a ball, around my tank. And, get mad and literally walk off. Patience.lol
You’re doing fine, try not to worry. It’s looking much better. When I saw the gaping mouth pic, I was worried. It’s got to get settled. Good luck! BTA’s are so fun to watch. I’ve been doing this a couple years and I’ve yet to have a clownfish host it! Still hoping...
Keep us posted!
Very helpful information! I recently placed the anemone on the rocks and it already took hold and fully extends. I will try to post update pictures later on today

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black widows expelling brownish blackish stuff is fine, that is poop. In a basket suck it with a Turkey baster. If the nem is loose in the tank you dont need that step as flow takes care of it. Deflating is normal i happens to my black widows a lot. Your nem needs a lot of light. Mine are getting 350 to 450 par just fyi.

Just curious where did you get your specimen from? You gotta be careful I see some hi end retailers selling black widows online without any webbing on the disc!!!!!! Very strange lol
20210603_181957.jpg

Last edited:

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210603_141239.jpg

The black widow anemone found a nice snug spot between two pieces of rock. Fully expands under the light, responds to being fed, and closes up at night. Seems to be doing very well so far :)
Awesome! Looking good and healthy! Good to hear!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back