Anemone Expelling Zooxanthellae or Waste?

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black widows expelling brownish blackish stuff is fine, that is poop. In a basket suck it with a Turkey baster. If the nem is loose in the tank you dont need that step as flow takes care of it. Deflating is normal i happens to my black widows a lot. Your nem needs a lot of light. Mine are getting 350 to 450 par just fyi.

Just curious where did you get your specimen from? You gotta be careful I see some hi end retailers selling black widows online without any webbing on the disc!!!!!! Very strange lol
20210603_181957.jpg
Wow! Looking good! If your clownfish host it, you’ll have to tell me ... I’ll need your secrets... where am I going wrong? Lol
I have a harem of 10, and I think 2 are a pair.... but, none are interested in my 3 anemones (I had a black widow split.) I am happy to have my 1st nem baby... the feeding made my black widow get so big and fluffy, it split. Both, are doing good! Holding out and keeping my fingers crossed... for a clownfish (or, pair) to host one! :)

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looking good! If your clownfish host it, you’ll have to tell me ... I’ll need your secrets... where am I going wrong? Lol
I have a harem of 10, and I think 2 are a pair.... but, none are interested in my 3 anemones (I had a black widow split.) I am happy to have my 1st nem baby... the feeding made my black widow get so big and fluffy, it split. Both, are doing good! Holding out and keeping my fingers crossed... for a clownfish (or, pair) to host one! :)
Any tips for getting clownfish to host?
I didn’t know that about the black widows...
I’ve only bought from stores (online) and I found a good place in Atlanta. Georgia doesn’t have many reef stores to choose from. I’m scared of buying from individual sellers (I don’t know what I’m doing/ trying to stay safe.)
I was super excited when mine split. And, both are doing good. Yay! Something actually went right, for a change. Anyway, beautiful anemone! :)

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips for getting clownfish to host?
I didn’t know that about the black widows...
I’ve only bought from stores (online) and I found a good place in Atlanta. Georgia doesn’t have many reef stores to choose from. I’m scared of buying from individual sellers (I don’t know what I’m doing/ trying to stay safe.)
I was super excited when mine split. And, both are doing good. Yay! Something actually went right, for a change. Anyway, beautiful anemone! :)
Good to hear yr anemones are doing well, a trick that worked for me was playing a laptop video of clowns hosting for 8 hours right next to the glass , my clowns were captive bred and had to learn to host

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nemmie completely deflating multiple times a day is not good. They will shrink at night, but not deflate. If they do this multiple times a day, time to do some water tests. If they deflate every once in a while, I don't worry about it. It's doing a water change, lol.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nemmie completely deflating multiple times a day is not good. They will shrink at night, but not deflate. If they do this multiple times a day, time to do some water tests. If they deflate every once in a while, I don't worry about it. It's doing a water change, lol.
Agree... that’s kinda’ what I meant. Deflating isn’t good. “Shrinking” is a better description. I call it, “going to bed”because, when the lights go out, an hour later ... the nem turns in (for bed :) ) till morning/lights start cutting on. And, whatever you call, going to the bathroom. I just think of it as, “going to the restroom, be back in a bit.” The nem reappears (good as new.) lol
Overall, you’ll know when it’s happy, or not doing good.
You’ll know your nem baby, and when to make adjustments.
Usually, water change. Ughh... lol
I love my BTA’s, but they are very demanding! :)

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear yr anemones are doing well, a trick that worked for me was playing a laptop video of clowns hosting for 8 hours right next to the glass , my clowns were captive bred and had to learn to host
I’m willing to try it... come to think of it, my clowns were captive bred, too (from Sustainable Aquatics)
I’ve never thought about it...
My family already thinks I’m nuts, when it comes to my reef tank...lol
They are going to love this! I’m trying it, it makes sense! Why not? It can’t hurt...
I think it’s a great idea, worth a try... thx
I’m going to try this tomorrow!

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black widows expelling brownish blackish stuff is fine, that is poop. In a basket suck it with a Turkey baster. If the nem is loose in the tank you dont need that step as flow takes care of it. Deflating is normal i happens to my black widows a lot. Your nem needs a lot of light. Mine are getting 350 to 450 par just fyi.

Just curious where did you get your specimen from? You gotta be careful I see some hi end retailers selling black widows online without any webbing on the disc!!!!!! Very strange lol
20210603_181957.jpg
I got mine from Seattle Corals

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Seattle Corals
Good to know. I (literally) use places that other people tell me about. So far, it’s worked great. I got my black widow BTA from a place called The Reef Farm, in Raleigh, North Carolina. I’ve never been there (in person.) I heard about them on here. I was very pleased. Most of my fish come from Sustainable Aquatics/The Coral Reef, in Jefferson City, TN. My corals (the good ones) are from Living Reef Orlando. Oh, and my CUC from reefcleaners.org. They are awesome. I lost most of an order, due to USPS/COVID stuff making deliveries taking longer (a week late!) ... And, he replaced everything/no charge... I just paid to have it overnight shipped, with FedEx. That’s my great list!
All my bad experiences came from my local Petco in Columbus, Ga. It’s awful. In short...I got a powder blue tang, that caused a whole tank crash. Learned about marine velvet and QT ... real quick but, not fast enough. Had to start over. They don’t have anyone that knows aquatics. I try not to go there, it’s disturbing... (onetime) I had to tell them, they had a dead/inflated puffer in their tank and it had killed everything in it. Also, had to tell them, if it’s a shared system... it would wipe it out, too. A bunch of expensive tangs, triggers, clowns, etc...dead. Anyway, they just... don’t know, and there’s no one to teach them.
We don’t have much to chose from (here.) There’s a new place, I’m waiting to open...HERE! Called, Neptune’s Reef. Can’t wait... I hope it’s worth the wait. It would be nice to have one, at home! I’ll add Seattle corals, to my wishing list! That’s a long way...interesting :)

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool glad you guys like your black widows. I must admit some of the ones sold (not going to call specific names) seem at the low end of black widows imho as they hardly have any webbings (or if any they are very muted) and not very defined. That is just my thoughts

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see a reason why the clowns will not host in your anemone. Ime they are just wired to do so even the tank bred ones.
Are the clowns hosting in other corals in your tank?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone looks fine. Just needed time to acclimate. Usually takes a week or two. With BTAs, I don't worry unless they're constantly deflated.

Regarding tank bred clownfish not knowing how to have a host anemone, that's a myth. The need is innate (it's not learned), and just because a clownfish is tank bred doesn't mean it doesn't know what an anemone is. My babies that I raise will instantly (literally within seconds) go into a natural host (either S. gigantea or H. magnifica) anemone. They take longer to adapt to BTAs.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I am starting to see the aftereffects of the BTA losing all the zooxanthellae.
20210610_172555.jpg

The black widow is looking super transparent now

20210610_172605.jpg

About how long will it take for this BTA to regain its lost color?

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I am starting to see the aftereffects of the BTA losing all the zooxanthellae.
20210610_172555.jpg

The black widow is looking super transparent now

20210610_172605.jpg

About how long will it take for this BTA to regain its lost color?
You anemone looks light deprived to me. What happened? My nems start getting a bit translucent (but not that bad) when they hide under a rock (due to lack of real estate).

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You anemone looks light deprived to me. What happened? My nems start getting a bit translucent (but not that bad) when they hide under a rock (due to lack of real estate).
When I added the BTA it was regularly expelling zooxanthellae. I placed it on the rock work and it got settled in. I haven't changed the lights at all, so I am going to assume that if it needs more light then it will move higher up on the rocks?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to have been taking in water. They’re fairly low maintenance and they can add a really neat look to your tank. Bubble Tip Anemone care requires you to have a strong understanding of these invertebrates if you want them to thrive. They’re not as easy to own as many people think. Thanks to the symbiotic relationship they form with certain fish, they are a joy to watch and care for. This species splits and propagates very easily in the right conditions, resulting in large captive populations.
The length of the tentacles can vary. The same goes for the size and shape of the bulb. With some specimens, the bulb is accompanied by a small tip. Interestingly enough, the tentacles can change based on the anemone’s environment. Below the splay of tentacles is the anemone’s foot. The foot is delicate. Yet, it has simple muscle fibers that help the creature move and anchor onto rocks.
Rose Bubble Tip Anemones are, by far, the most common type you’ll see on the market. They’re prolific propagators, which undoubtedly contributes to their popularity. This type is quite affordable and is a good option for first-time anemone owners. Rainbow bubble Tip Anemone that’s usually considered to be exotic. They’re rarer than standard Rose varieties and their pricing usually reflects that. The base of the Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone is vibrant neon blue. This color gradually fades into a rose color on the tips of the tentacles.
Green Bubble Tip Anemones are fairly common. Like the Rose variety, these anemones are quite affordable and readily available in the trade.
Many new and seasoned aquarists dream of owning these invertebrates. But proper Bubble Tip Anemone care requires a bit of work to keep these creatures healthy! In short, we usually don’t recommend them for first-time aquarists. Having thorough knowledge about these animals is a must. The invertebrates are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is a concern but rarely occurs. I have 6 (which time to sell a couple of them and none have ever left their spot in the tank.
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Bubble Tip Anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Bubble Tip Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quakity test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: Between 77°F and 82°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.4
  • Water hardness: 8 to 12 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to truly thrive because they’re photosynthetic. Basically, that means that they absorb light to make food and grow. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists agree that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your jets at the anemone. The creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times. But too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
Lastly- Feeding.
Bubble Tip Anemones feeding is one of the easiest parts of their care. These animals get food from a lot of different sources. As mentioned earlier, they are photosynthetic and use light to create food. They will also eat food off of the fish they host. These anemones enjoy small morsels of shrimp and squid. They will also accept many frozen foods. To feed the anemone, attach the food to a stick or large tweezers. Then, touch the anemone with it. The creature will use its tentacles to grab onto the food and consume it. twice a week feedings is ample.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added the BTA it was regularly expelling zooxanthellae. I placed it on the rock work and it got settled in. I haven't changed the lights at all, so I am going to assume that if it needs more light then it will move higher up on the rocks?
Unless your overall light in the tank is very low. Any idea on par?

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on par. I run my AI Prime at about 35% in a 10 gallon. The light is only about 4 or 5 inches away from the surface of the water
That should be ok but maybe raise it a bit geadually.just give the nem time you only had it for a week. They take time to adopt to a new tank.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be ok but maybe raise it a bit geadually.just give the nem time you only had it for a week. They take time to adopt to a new tank.
You're recommending raising the light intensity or literally raising the lighting box? (Just want to be sure)

It's approaching week three on this thread and it has already been a journey :D

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rausing the light intensity gradually in 5% increments, assuming you have no other corals that could get cooked from higher light.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back