Anemone help!!?

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We purchased our first anemone last weekend. I don't think it is doing well. I know it takes time for them to acclimate to a new tank. But this one does not seem to be doing well at all.
First picture is the night we got it. It opened up some and spit out some red looking stuff.
Second picture is a few days later and it was starting to look better.
Thirdd picture is just a moment ago. I'm unsure if it is trying to receed back into the rock work or if it is dying.
All the other corals I have are doing great but that anemone.
The picture of my parameters is the most current one I have. I don't have a test kit so I must go to my lfs to get it tested. I plan on doing that tonight after I get off work.

What should I do to either help this guy with adjusting or move him to another spot?
IMG_20181109_190033.jpeg
IMG_20181110_091504.jpeg
IMG_20181114_131439.jpeg
IMG_20181102_182417.jpeg

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that doesnt look good, some help @Amoo and #reefsquad

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We purchased our first anemone last weekend. I don't think it is doing well. I know it takes time for them to acclimate to a new tank. But this one does not seem to be doing well at all.
First picture is the night we got it. It opened up some and spit out some red looking stuff.
Second picture is a few days later and it was starting to look better.
Thirdd picture is just a moment ago. I'm unsure if it is trying to receed back into the rock work or if it is dying.
All the other corals I have are doing great but that anemone.
The picture of my parameters is the most current one I have. I don't have a test kit so I must go to my lfs to get it tested. I plan on doing that tonight after I get off work.

What should I do to either help this guy with adjusting or move him to another spot?
IMG_20181109_190033.jpeg
IMG_20181110_091504.jpeg
IMG_20181114_131439.jpeg
IMG_20181102_182417.jpeg
Honestly I doubt it's you aquariums fault if that first picture is what it looked like when you got it. Sadly that nem looks like it was doomed from the start :(

scott4077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried to feed it yet? if its not taking food i would be a little more concerned. if its unhappy with its spot it will eventually move on its own, so id rather not try to move it at this point as you will just stress it out more. i know my first one shriveled up into a little ball for a good few days at first and then was happy. some however just don't adjust well, i have had to take one back because it never opened up and as soon as the LFS placed it back in their tank it was immediately happy again while i had 3 others in my tank that had grown huge. they are just so finicky

OP
OP
Clapping crabs

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried to feed it yet? if its not taking food i would be a little more concerned. if its unhappy with its spot it will eventually move on its own, so id rather not try to move it at this point as you will just stress it out more. i know my first one shriveled up into a little ball for a good few days at first and then was happy. some however just don't adjust well, i have had to take one back because it never opened up and as soon as the LFS placed it back in their tank it was immediately happy again while i had 3 others in my tank that had grown huge. they are just so finicky
No I haven't tried to feed it yet. But most of the time it's mouth is pretty much wide open and has been off and on since I got it. I had read I should wait at least a week before I feed it so that was the plan on that.

I'm concerned about it's placement as with each passing day it pulls itself farther and farther into the rock work.

OP
OP
Clapping crabs

Clapping crabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I doubt it's you aquariums fault if that first picture is what it looked like when you got it. Sadly that nem looks like it was doomed from the start :(
When purchased it was the size of a small dinner plate. Foot was clean and not torn. I'm mostly concerned for the rest of my tank, if this turd decides to die and crash mmy tank or die and find a power head while I'm at work or in the night.

benha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was shriveled up and stressed for a long time. I had a cleaner shrimp who would dig into its mouth every time I fed it so its mouth was gaping periodically for months. I stressed it further by trying to manually move it with my finger as well as directly blowing a powerhead at it since it was always shaded under a rock. Eventually I decided to just leave my nem alone and not touch it or feed it since my shrimp would always make it worse and it's gotten a lot healthier since then. Hope this helps in some way.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others that it doesn't looks so hot even in the first picture, but some other important information is needed.
How long has your tank been set up and cycled? What other inhabitants do you have? What kind of lighting do you have? What kind of flow?

To answer your question about moving it, my thought process is that anemones are able to move themselves so if they want to move, I just let them move on their own. The only time I would try to move one is if I was moving it to another tank (Possibly a QT or Hospital tank for treatment) or if it settled down on a much loved coral I might try.
If you do decide to try to move it, try to persuade it to move by pointing a power head at the base of the foot. I have also heard of people using an ice cube to try to get them to release.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the foots still sticking i would leave it alone and watch it closely. If it detatches and starts floating id try a qt or acclimation box. Most likely needs a cipro treatment....

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of lights do you have and what are your settings?

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 78 44.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 50 28.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back