Anemone help

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA that has shrunk considerably. It was small to begin with, only about an inch or inch and a half. It has shrunk down to about half. It was eating fine, took mysid shrimp. It has lost color. Lighting should be fine, it is an xr15 pro. The tank is a 17 gallon. nano with one clownfish and that is all. Flow is mp10. I don't know is going on. Phosphates are about .15 and nitrate about 5ppm. I can do a 10 gallon water change but not sure if that is going to help. Any thoughts? What can I try? I included a pic.

I'm not a noob when it comes to nems. I've had many in the past that all naturally split and grew and never lost one. I'm just baffled at this point.

nem.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I do not do nems, but i will tag @Ron Reefman and @Peace River to see if they are around. #reefsquad

One thing that will help is if you could give your full parameters. Even though you have kept them for a while, giving the full number may help. they may see something. The more info the better.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA that has shrunk considerably. It was small to begin with, only about an inch or inch and a half. It has shrunk down to about half. It was eating fine, took mysid shrimp. It has lost color. Lighting should be fine, it is an xr15 pro. The tank is a 17 gallon. nano with one clownfish and that is all. Flow is mp10. I don't know is going on. Phosphates are about .15 and nitrate about 5ppm. I can do a 10 gallon water change but not sure if that is going to help. Any thoughts? What can I try? I included a pic.

I'm not a noob when it comes to nems. I've had many in the past that all naturally split and grew and never lost one. I'm just baffled at this point.

nem.jpg

Well, based on that photo, I'd be concerned as well.

Is it possible to get it out of the tank? Even if it's attached to a small rock?

It's really impossible to say what the issue here is. All you can do is try and eliminate possible problems and give it as good a hospital tank as possible, and see what happens.

If it were mine, I'd pull it out and put it in a small tank (5g) or a big bowl or Tupperware container. Add some tank water, but make up some new water as well. Do half and half for the nem and top your tank back up as well. Nems do OK without great light if they get fed. And they don't make a mess of the water in the small container unless the die or disintegrate!

Every 8 hours if possible, every 12 works OK, change out the water in the nem's container. I'd do half tank water and half new for the first few changes and then all new after that. If you have a spare aquarium light fixture around (spares are always good to have) set that up as well. Flow isn't supper important here, but if you have a tiny spare pump or a bubbler, that could be helpful.

Just to assure you, I've kept anemones in big peanut butter jars (no lid) with 12 hour water changes for 2 and 3 weeks with no issues.

Good luck, I hope this helps a little?

OP
OP
miggs76

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just sent in an ICP test. I’ve done many water changes over the last 2-3 weeks to see if that helped.....nada. I could take it out and put in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and small pump.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back