Anemone hosting success?

Herndonh75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy 4th everyone! I was wondering if anyone has used any tricks to get their clowns attracted to and settle down with an anemone. I have 2 perculas and just a RBTA for now. The clowns have been showing ZERO interest in the RBTA. Thinking of adding a green tip as well.

What type of clowns do you have and what type did they settle down with?

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with two ocellaris back in Feb. No nems at that time. I added a bubble tip in May and they didn't show the slightest bit of interest. Wouldn't even look at the nem.

A couple of months later I added an RBTA. This time I put the nem in a basket with the clowns. I believe it was about 5 minutes before the clowns settled in with the nem. I left them like that over night just to let them have some time alone. Next day, released both the clowns and the nem into the tank and they have not separated.

This is the basket I used, along with a couple sections of pipe wrap foam to make it float:

Amazon product

They still ignore my original nem.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got two perculas, captive bred and a large RBTA that’s right next to the powerhead they’re hosting. People say to give it time and they’ll figure it out and some have had success by adding a second pair of clowns that already know how to host to show the dummy head ones what’s up. I’ve resorted to showing them YouTube videos of clowns hosting and hoping

OP
OP
Herndonh75

Herndonh75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. My RBTA is happily attached to its home and don’t want to try and separate it to try the basket. It’s a good idea if I get a small one to add though!

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know of any tricks - just patience. Let them settle in and they will find each other. I've had clowns that waited a year and others that jumped on the anemone in the first minute and didn't leave it alone for weeks.

I have one RBTA that has multiplied several times over the years. Paired with them in different tanks I've had generic perculas, Darwin ocellaris, Davinci ocellaris, and Spotcinctus Clownfish. The Spotcinctus female took to the RBTA on day one and kept the male out for about 10 months. She finally declared him worthy last month and they share it now.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second about just being patient. Took my two ocellaris two and half years. Now they love the rbtas. Good luck with whatever path you choose!

Y2kong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always kept a nem in a small floating box and then add the clownfish into the box. They'll eventually just go into the nem.

Back