Anemone ID help please

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
91,610
Reaction score
96,694
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank and learn thread we are discussing the ID of an anemone I picked up at Petco. Condy? Something else?

Pics and a link to the other discussion

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/randys-tank-and-learn-thread.1103636/page-64#post-13648518
1749683640329.jpeg



IMG_3457.jpeg
 
Definitely Condylactis imo.

Has that characteristic red foot. If not for the red foot, just that fact that I have only ever seen PetCo carry Condys.
 
The area just above the red part of the foot should have some white spots on it, if it is an LTA.
 
Long tentacles can have red foots too.

Condy usually has those unmistakable purple/pink dots at the end. The colors make me believe LTA.
 
I can take some better pics of the column and oral disk in the AM if that would be useful . While not this Petco, someone at our local club noted that a Petco a few miles away had a gigantea in April, so those around here do get other stuff.
 
I can take some better pics of the column and oral disk in the AM if that would be useful . While not this Petco, someone at our local club noted that a Petco a few miles away had a gigantea in April, so those around here do get other stuff.
If you can take another picture of the column to verify the white dots we think we are seeing, that would put it to bed for sure. But even without the confirmation, it’s extremely consistent with the characteristics of an LTA.
 
Lights were on so I got to pics. I thought the oral disk was homogeneous, but looking at the close up it seems to have some LTA types of lines.


IMG_3483.jpeg
IMG_3479.jpeg
 
Thanks very much everyone. I now feel comfortable putting it into the display tank. :)
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new