Anemone Infection Treatment

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciprofloxacin bubble tip Anemone Bacteria Infection Treatment

Hello my name is Danh and this is my way of doing cipro treatment for my bubble tipe anemone. I have a csb anemone that had bacteria infection 2 times and I was able to save it both times. I would like to share my treatment here to help. My treatment takes less water than the typical treatment.

I have to give credit to @Amoo and @OrionN where I got procedure from but modified to my own liking. This use less water and less of the cipro tablet.

BEWARE
This treatment I was able to save my bubble tip anemone, I have no experience saving other time of anemone like carpet and long tentacles anemones.

This treatment is last resort in saving your bubble tip anemone. Doing this treatment will not guaranteed saving your bubble tip anemone. Do this treatment at your own risk. I am not liable for deaths during this treatment.

I would start the treatment when lights out. Start the treatment I would mix fresh saltwater before hand and get the temperature close to the tank’s temperature that the anemone previously reside in.
For the treatment I would use a 5 gal tank but 4-6 gal tank would also work as long as water to cover the anemone. I would put a heater and a powerhead inside and have a led light to give it some light during the day time. For treatment I use 125 mg into 3 gal of fresh saltwater. I would rub the pill in the water near the powerhead to mix it into the water. I would try to match temperature close to the tank that it was in before introducing. I would put the anemone in a basket for easy removal. I repeat mixing new saltwater and reapplying the cipro every night when lights is out.

Treatment would last 7-10 days depending on the health of the anemone. During this treatment the anemone will expel a lot of gunk, I try to remove them so it doesn’t p

For the first 3 days I would keep the dosage 125mg. If the anemone doesn’t get better the 4th day I would increase the dosage to 250mg for the remaining days. Usually the bubble tip anemone would lose color due to the treatment stressing the anemone. I would do the treatment for 10 days. My last treatment it would get better at the 8th day. Feeding the anemone would help it regain its color and health, I would feed it frozen mysis because it’s easier to consume.

signs improvement
- closed mouth
-doesn’t spit out gunk
- no more tentacles loss

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciprofloxacin bubble tip Anemone Bacteria Infection Treatment

Hello my name is Danh and this is my way of doing cipro treatment for my bubble tipe anemone. I have a csb anemone that had bacteria infection 2 times and I was able to save it both times. I would like to share my treatment here to help. My treatment takes less water than the typical treatment.

I have to give credit to @Amoo and @OrionN where I got procedure from but modified to my own liking. This use less water and less of the cipro tablet.

BEWARE
This treatment I was able to save my bubble tip anemone, I have no experience saving other time of anemone like carpet and long tentacles anemones.

This treatment is last resort in saving your bubble tip anemone. Doing this treatment will not guaranteed saving your bubble tip anemone. Do this treatment at your own risk. I am not liable for deaths during this treatment.

I would start the treatment when lights out. Start the treatment I would mix fresh saltwater before hand and get the temperature close to the tank’s temperature that the anemone previously reside in.
For the treatment I would use a 5 gal tank but 4-6 gal tank would also work as long as water to cover the anemone. I would put a heater and a powerhead inside and have a led light to give it some light during the day time. For treatment I use 125 mg into 3 gal of fresh saltwater. I would rub the pill in the water near the powerhead to mix it into the water. I would try to match temperature close to the tank that it was in before introducing. I would put the anemone in a basket for easy removal. I repeat mixing new saltwater and reapplying the cipro every night when lights is out.

Treatment would last 7-10 days depending on the health of the anemone. During this treatment the anemone will expel a lot of gunk, I try to remove them so it doesn’t p

For the first 3 days I would keep the dosage 125mg. If the anemone doesn’t get better the 4th day I would increase the dosage to 250mg for the remaining days. Usually the bubble tip anemone would lose color due to the treatment stressing the anemone. I would do the treatment for 10 days. My last treatment it would get better at the 8th day. Feeding the anemone would help it regain its color and health, I would feed it frozen mysis because it’s easier to consume.

signs improvement
- closed mouth
-doesn’t spit out gunk
- no more tentacles loss
Thanks for doing your write up.
Besides water volume, how else does your method deviate from Orion's published methods?

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Danh, you're administering at 250mg per 10 gallons. I caution with using smaller tanks, because of water temperature stability and other things, otherewise you're right in line with what seems best at curing bacterial infections.
Question though, why did your nem get 2 infections? Does your main tank get new members all the time without quarantine?

OP
OP
ThePhoReefer

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Danh, you're administering at 250mg per 10 gallons. I caution with using smaller tanks, because of water temperature stability and other things, otherewise you're right in line with what seems best at curing bacterial infections.
Question though, why did your nem get 2 infections? Does your main tank get new members all the time without quarantine?
First time yes, had a black widow I think didn’t clean up last nem even with one month wc every 3 days, and carbon. Second one tank had ammonium spike due to kid over feeding. It survive 2 times doing same treatment.

OP
OP
ThePhoReefer

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for doing your write up.
Besides water volume, how else does your method deviate from Orion's published
This for my reef buddies, those that need help treating their anemone, it’s better than messengering them through text, better to just link it. I keep it simplified.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back