Anemone Looks Like It Is Dying

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I treated the rock based on forums like this and YouTube... I know it is fine because it hasn’t effected my water parameters or the clownfish.... I have some granite too also treated.
The purpose of rocks in the reef tank is to provide filtration through beneficial bacteria that lives in/on it. Granite does not have suitable filtering capabilities for a reef, I believe that’s why the other posters are questioning your rock. So, what other kind of rock do you have in there?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I really wish that the employee at petco had told me my tank was not ready for the anemone... but he was obviously just trying to sell me the animal without care.

This is a big problem in the industry. People with interest in the hobby and no experience are often taken advantage of.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

The purpose of rocks in the reef tank is to provide filtration through beneficial bacteria that lives in/on it. Granite does not have suitable filtering capabilities for a reef, I believe that’s why the other posters are questioning your rock. So, what other kind of rock do you have in there?

It's not to say you can't have a small piece of whatever kind of rock in there that tickles your fancy if you like how it looks. It's not harmful. It's that you need mostly porous rock to give the bacteria the most space to live. Imagine trying to soak up some milk on your counter with a) a piece of cardboard or b) paper towel. You want the "fluffy" rock that can really hold the bacteria :)

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated the rock based on forums like this and YouTube... I know it is fine because it hasn’t effected my water parameters or the clownfish.... I have some granite too also treated.

Ok, you treated it you say. How did you treat it? How are you sure it hasn’t affected your parameters? Have you done a ICP test? It won’t leech any N or P, I’m more worried about other stuff.
Not trying to be a jerk but some rock can contain minerals that can oxidize in saltwater causing all sorts of trouble. I’m fairly sure granite contains some metals at least.

Just trying to save you a potential headache in the future.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Garrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

It’s just the other rock you can see in the picture which I’m not sure of the type... sadly when I got home the anemone was dead... as expected from its state this morning. I did a quick water change and turned on my power head. My clownfish is thankfully okay tho... I am definitely going to wait 5< months till I put an anemone in again... I’m curious though to what brand or kind of rock I should put in... not trying to break the bank too much

OP
OP
R

Ryan Garrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum Ryan,

I would remove the anemone and try to return or exchange it from the store you bought it from or donate it to someone with an established tank.
Check around on here. Check on FB user groups. You'd be surprised how many reefers there are out there. Strong chance you'll find someone within a half hour who may house or trade for your nem.
Maybe they'll even simply hold it for you for a few months. Everyone loves a rescue. My understanding is that it's chances are very slim otherwise.

They wouldn’t take it but the gentleman apologized

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cover the power-head, not turn it off for 35 hours. Your anemone and other things need it..... Even if you turn it off, and the anemone "settles" it can and likely WILL move once you turn the powerhead back on.....

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wouldn’t take it but the gentleman apologized
Sorry to hear about your anenome. At least the LFS person was accountable for having given you bad advise. You did what you could.
Hope you're ready for some fun reefing now that this unpleasantness is behind you ;)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just the other rock you can see in the picture which I’m not sure of the type... sadly when I got home the anemone was dead... as expected from its state this morning. I did a quick water change and turned on my power head. My clownfish is thankfully okay tho... I am definitely going to wait 5< months till I put an anemone in again... I’m curious though to what brand or kind of rock I should put in... not trying to break the bank too much
Get real reef rock from Bullreefsupply

Back