Anemone pinched in the middle of its Tentacles

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m not sure why the middle of the tentacles are pinched like that, I don’t have very heavy flow blowing at it.

the other day one of the pieces that were Pinched detached, is this normal?
image.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m not sure why the middle of the tentacles are pinched like that, I don’t have very heavy flow blowing at it.

the other day one of the pieces that were Pinched detached, is this normal?
image.jpg
How often and what do you feed your anemone? What are your water parameters?

Mine seem to like to be offset from some pretty strong flow and then they raise and stretch themselves to be about 4" off main flow coming off MP40 at 40% only 4" away (but their foot bases are further... 8-12" away.

1x weekly I feed each of mine about 1/2 pinkie nail sized bit of thawed Reef Frenzy (seafood mix mostly) - squirt it into center of each with a long turkey baster. Typically they close up on food faster than clowns can steal... though sometimes I think they steal clownfish food (fish get fed 2x day)

I've never had bits float off anemones, but people do report peppermints will rip tentacles off (they'll grow back) ... peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia so its not much of a stretch to larger RBTA

Speculating either food or not enough flow... hoping others also chime in

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often and what do you feed your anemone? What are your water parameters?

Mine seem to like to be offset from some pretty strong flow and then they raise and stretch themselves to be about 4" off main flow coming off MP40 at 40% only 4" away (but their foot bases are further... 8-12" away.

1x weekly I feed each of mine about 1/2 pinkie nail sized bit of thawed Reef Frenzy (seafood mix mostly) - squirt it into center of each with a long turkey baster. Typically they close up on food faster than clowns can steal... though sometimes I think they steal clownfish food (fish get fed 2x day)

I've never had bits float off anemones, but people do report peppermints will rip tentacles off (they'll grow back) ... peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia so its not much of a stretch to larger RBTA

Speculating either food or not enough flow... hoping others also chime in
I feed my entire tank every other day LRS reef frenzy soaked in Brightwells Restor but these are my current parameters nitrates usually between 1-2 Phosphates .04

Attachments

• 0D05034A-8A5C-4CE7-BF84-CE0E9DBA0962.png
    0D05034A-8A5C-4CE7-BF84-CE0E9DBA0962.png
    360.9 KB · Views: 54

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my entire tank every other day LRS reef frenzy soaked in Brightwells Restor but these are my current parameters nitrates usually between 1-2 Phosphates .04
Need clarity - you squirt Reef Frenzy every other day INTO your anemone? If so then maybe the bends and breakage is flow related... not sure... see a bit of coral in your anemone photo, so using that to rule out lighting. Hoping someone else has some feedback for you

I feed my fish 2x daily LRS Reef Frenzy but 1x weekly I squirt into anemone as otherwise not enough food caught/stolen from fish. (corals all spot fed 1x daily)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back