Anemone question

ShaneAugust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the community but have always came to this site for advice without an account but I couldn't find an answer to my problem. I started an anemone only tank 5 months ago. It's a fiji cube 76 gallon shallow at 48x24x16, and 20 gallon sump. I wanted everything to go smoothly so I purchased the best of the best appliances. The lighting is one kessil ap9x about 12 inches off the water. After the tank was cycled and parameters checked out, I got 2 maroon clownfish, diamond goby, and a starry blenny. My problem is I eventually purchased a bunch of bubble tip anemones, about 6 small green ones, 3 large green ones, and a rose bubble tip. They were doing great for a month but then the small ones started to shrivel up, lose color and disappear and ultimately die. Last week the large rose bta lost color, tentacles shriveled into nubs and died yesterday under a rock overnight. Now the large 6 inch high grade green/yellow bta fell off a rock and is shrinking as we speak. Is the light not enough? They never took food. I thought the kessil ap9x has a 48x24 coverage and i have the lighting at 100% because I feel like they aren't getting sufficient lighting. The thing is I have an 8 inch Long Tentacle Anemone that is thriving and has been thriving ever since I put it in before the bubble tips. Rock flowers are thriving. I just can't keep Bubble tips alive. I dose magnesium, iodine, calcium when needed. I do 10 gallon water changes weekly and test water weekly. Am I doing something wrong? I've lost almost 10 bubble tips and I don't want to lose my last 2. I get if I made noob mistakes, I've done countless hours of research, asked my LFS question after question, I've done everything. Less lighting/more lighting with the kessil ap9x but nothing is working. I'm very disappointed because I love BTA's in particular and I really want to try and make this right. I have pictures, parameters if needed. Please help me solve this.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a bubble tip nem expert (I only have a giant carpet nem), but definitely post your parameters and pics of your system.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of anemone species in that size tank, Anemones sometimes do not play well together, this can even be said for bubble tips of different species, I.e a green and a red, or 2 greens from different families.
While this isn't always the case and some people will always say, this is false I have 2 anemones right next to each other, Id imagine this is most likely what is happening to you. Id suspect the LTA is likely the cause for the BTAS not making it. Bubble tips are some of the hardiest anemones in this hobby, along with rock flowers. They do not die quickly from bad water parameters, the LTA would go long before them. I have put bubble tips thru a full ammonia cycle before.
Once one starts dying, they do release some toxins, and that can start to wipe others out pretty quickly. You may be trying to do a little too much with anemones in that size tank, I would suggest sticking with one species, and then adding RFA as those don't seem to be bothered by or bother other species.
Either remove the LTA and keep bubble tips, or remove the bubble tips and keep LTA.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back