Anemone Question

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into buying an anemone for my clownfish, so what’s the best kind to buy, especially for it hosting my clowns? I’ve also wanted one for a while now, my tank has become stable at about 8 months now. But I’ve heard many horror stories of their anemones stinging their corals or getting caught in the power head, so I’m just trying to figure out what’s best.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into buying an anemone for my clownfish, so what’s the best kind to buy, especially for it hosting my clowns? I’ve also wanted one for a while now, my tank has become stable at about 8 months now. But I’ve heard many horror stories of their anemones stinging their corals or getting caught in the power head, so I’m just trying to figure out what’s best.
Those can both happen. They're not likely. But they do happen. Best advice I can give is to buy from a local reefer. Skip online and your LFS. Check the livestock forum on here and Facebook groups. Once you add an anemone, it owns the tank. The more you put your hands on it, the better chance of it not making it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing. Buying an anemone or 4 in my case doesn't mean they will host your clowns. It took me a bunch of work and 2 years before my clowns were finally hosted by my nems. Get an anemone because you want one. Not because the clowns may be hosted. They may never at all.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old/stable is tank? Less than 4-6mo don’t even think about anemones yet.

If your past that and things are stable go with an aquacultured bubble tip for best success

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carpets seem to be the most irresistible to clowns and “walk” less often but its def a risk with a bubble tip or carpet- if you pick the perfect spot they could stay put, but need a ton of tank real estate if they need to inch closer or farther away from the light- btw strong enough light is crucial idk what your running you might be set

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carpets seem to be the most irresistible to clowns and “walk” less often but its def a risk with a bubble tip or carpet- if you pick the perfect spot they could stay put, but need a ton of tank real estate if they need to inch closer or farther away from the light- btw strong enough light is crucial idk what your running you might be set
Agreed. Most reef lights are great for BTA. Carpets require a ton of light though.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni Carpets wander like crazy and are best left to a dedicated tank IMO.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back