Anemone recovery

megannerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I already know from searching this thread that my bta is really grumpy because the water isn't as stable as it should be and I don't think I've been feeding it enough. In the last month it's lost all its tentacles. It's still eating and I'm hoping it pulls through. Any advice on what kind of timeline I can expect if it does recover?

It's a 75 gallon tank 5 months old. Feeding it thawed frozen food and clown fish do not host. Water params and pic of when it was healthy attached. He's eating now but I'll add a current pic of him later.

Screenshot_20221030-093210_Aquarium Note.jpg Screenshot_20221030-093205_Aquarium Note.jpg 20220827_144444.jpg

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion and theory here obviously but I would stop feeding it directly; let it catch what it can from broadcast feeding as it seems to be in a recovery mode and might need the (digestive) energy to get back to normal. Let it soak up some good light (not commenting on your light choice, cuz idk) and build it's zooxanthella population where it wants and once it starts looking normal you can feed directly... just from my experience. A good light is impt tho me thinks...

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef first of all!
As for your anemone, I can see two issues. The first is that anemones are difficult animals to keep and not having a mature tank of at-least a year or more often times proves fatal. You are right that anemones need clean, stable water parameters, but they also need intense light and water flow. Your running a little over 2 watts per gallon and the anemone is at the bottom of your tank which means it is receiving less than that. Even though watts per gallon isn’t the only thing to consider in maintaining anemones but at-least 5 watts per gallon is advisable. Anemones need intense lighting for their zooxanthellae and without it trying to feed it other foodstuff I don’t think is going to suffice. I am running 8 watts per gallon and feed silversides to my Rose Bubble Tips.
I know that anemones will move around to find their happy place but if key variables aren’t in check, it is that much more difficult to keep not only anemones but many other corals as well.
good luck with your anemone.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on swapping out that light. My suggestion would be find a nice 4-6 bulb T5 or halide/T-5 combo if you plan on moving to SPS at some point.

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on swapping out that light. My suggestion would be find a nice 4-6 bulb T5 or halide/T-5 combo if you plan on moving to SPS at some point.
Agreed. A single 48" t5 bulb is 54 watts, which is already stronger than your LED. Anemones require a lot of light. I had one in my old tank that I'm taking down that had 2x Fluval marine 3.0 LEDs, and even those were not enough light. Mine looked very similar to yours a few days before it detached itself and went into my powerhead.

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I already know from searching this thread that my bta is really grumpy because the water isn't as stable as it should be and I don't think I've been feeding it enough. In the last month it's lost all its tentacles. It's still eating and I'm hoping it pulls through. Any advice on what kind of timeline I can expect if it does recover?

It's a 75 gallon tank 5 months old. Feeding it thawed frozen food and clown fish do not host. Water params and pic of when it was healthy attached. He's eating now but I'll add a current pic of him later.

Screenshot_20221030-093210_Aquarium Note.jpg Screenshot_20221030-093205_Aquarium Note.jpg
On a different note what program is this?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef first of all!
As for your anemone, I can see two issues. The first is that anemones are difficult animals to keep and not having a mature tank of at-least a year or more often times proves fatal. You are right that anemones need clean, stable water parameters, but they also need intense light and water flow. Your running a little over 2 watts per gallon and the anemone is at the bottom of your tank which means it is receiving less than that. Even though watts per gallon isn’t the only thing to consider in maintaining anemones but at-least 5 watts per gallon is advisable. Anemones need intense lighting for their zooxanthellae and without it trying to feed it other foodstuff I don’t think is going to suffice. I am running 8 watts per gallon and feed silversides to my Rose Bubble Tips.
I know that anemones will move around to find their happy place but if key variables aren’t in check, it is that much more difficult to keep not only anemones but many other corals as well.
good luck with your anemone.
She’s only at .4 watts per gallon. Yes to all above needs more time to mature tank and stabilize parameters and stronger lights.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back