Anemone seems distressed

Leeann Sutherby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently the pump in my sump had broke so I had to order a new one & my tank went 2 days with out one. As I added the new pump my anemone that I’ve had for about 6 months now moved the highest point on my rocks, right where the water from my sump comes in. He is in a much higher water flow spot than he was before & now his tentacles seem to be getting twisted up and breaking off. His mouth always seems to be puffed out as well when before it was always flat. I read in another thread someone was having the same problems because there’s was in a high flow spot to so what do you recommenced? Should I move him back to his old spot? Or just leave him and pray he will be okay? My parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphates 1 (having more detectable phosphates helped get him his color back he was originally bleached from the store)
Calcium 450
Salinity 1.02
Temperature always varies from about 78-80
I will try to attach pictures but it’s hard to see the tentacles from his angle I added arrow to one that has fallen off

046A373A-E276-48D1-9E83-1E0181955CAC.jpeg 3B1CBD6E-494D-431D-B53D-1B9D821062E0.jpeg D9DD1382-07E3-47FA-AE0E-D33EBE792DE0.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks fine. Did you actually see a tentacle get broken off? It would be extremely rare and the current would have to be extremely strong for that to happen. If the anemone isn't happy with the new flow pattern, it'll move.

OP
OP
Leeann Sutherby

Leeann Sutherby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks fine. Did you actually see a tentacle get broken off? It would be extremely rare and the current would have to be extremely strong for that to happen. If the anemone isn't happy with the new flow pattern, it'll move.
I didn’t see it fall off but when I came home from work it was broken off on the rock below him. I figured if it wasn’t comfortable it would have moved but thanks for the advice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back