Anemone Sensitivity

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to discuss some experiences with other reefers who have anemones because I had a very scary/crazy experience today. Long story short, I had been moving some rocks around in order to get a fish out and I accidentally tore my BTA IN HALF. I might have gotten extremely lucky because the nem’s foot was attached to 2 rocks and it tore directly down the middle but both halves are completely fine and almost better than the original nem. I was always told that anemones were extremely sensitive and fragile but I’m rethinking it after this experience..

(I will try to attach some photos under my whites but here is an image immediately after, pretty bad!)
176CC41B-8BEF-4FDC-A90D-F961917A7685.jpeg

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's a bubble tip, your nem(s) should be fine.

I once had a BTA go through a 1/4" plastic mesh covering an overflow. By the time I found him he was 80% through. After trying to extricate him, I ended up with 4 pieces, the largest about 50% of the nem, the smallest about 3%. All but the tiny piece survived, and only because it fell between some rocks before it had healed sufficiently.

Dennis

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tips aren’t like other nems. They can handle almost anything and don’t really need that it to be as “stable” as other nems like carpets or Mags.
IMO bubble tips are on the same level of care as LPS

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's a bubble tip, your nem(s) should be fine.

I once had a BTA go through a 1/4" plastic mesh covering an overflow. By the time I found him he was 80% through. After trying to extricate him, I ended up with 4 pieces, the largest about 50% of the nem, the smallest about 3%. All but the tiny piece survived, and only because it fell between some rocks before it had healed sufficiently.

Dennis
Yeah that’s crazy, I was just baffled when it opened up immediately after it had just been torn in half ahaha

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tips aren’t like other nems. They can handle almost anything and don’t really need that it to be as “stable” as other nems like carpets or Mags.
IMO bubble tips are on the same level of care as LPS
Wish I was told this earlier in the hobby!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back