anemone shrinking and getting darker

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so this anemone has been through some stuff it used to shrink up every single night and looked like it was dying but it looked really light but now it looks to be shrinking and getting darker in color

1 picture is of it now 2 picture is what it looked like a bit ago when it first moved

i think it might be a lighting issue because normally getting darker is a light issue or could this be a lack of food issue

7F58DFB7-B569-4F1F-B6FC-CA04A7F1B482.jpeg 87C9AD34-BA89-426D-823C-C9C56BAB0531.jpeg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well then it's probably dying then since you are dead set on thinking your stuff is always on it's way out.

No matter how much we try to educate you on your anemones...you keep looking for reasons to think they are dying. I don't know why you would want to own one if you are just going to let them constantly stress you out?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for them to shrink at night. What kind of lighting do you have? How long has the tank been up and running? Parameters? Live rock or dry?

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then it's probably dying then since you are dead set on thinking your stuff is always on it's way out.

No matter how much we try to educate you on your anemones...you keep looking for reasons to think they are dying. I don't know why you would want to own one if you are just going to let them stress you out?
it’s called anxiety dude something i have to live with unfortunately and that’s just a tag i put on there not once besides that did i mention it was dying i just wanted to know if it needs more light

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for them to shrink at night. What kind of lighting do you have? How long has the tank been up and running? Parameters? Live rock or dry?
i have a ai prime and it been shrinking up every time when the lights start to dim at 5 the tank is 11 months old it’s live rock and my perameters are
salinity 1.024
ph is 8.4
alk is 8
nitrate is 0
and those are all the perameters i can test for as of now

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still sticky? Does it grab food? Better get those nitrates up! Is it pretty small? Maybe your clowns are harassing it. Tbh it isn't stretching out like they should during the day but it doesn't look bad. Keep an eye on it

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still sticky? Does it grab food? Better get those nitrates up! Is it pretty small? Maybe your clowns are harassing it. Tbh it isn't stretching out like they should during the day but it doesn't look bad. Keep an eye on it
it stretches pretty far up ist in the bottom corner of my tank and it’s very sticky and yes it still grabs at food and my clownfish has been leaving it alone at night but it opens during the day and let’s the clownfish in it and should i be feeding it small bits every other day

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a ai prime and it been shrinking up every time when the lights start to dim at 5 the tank is 11 months old it’s live rock and my perameters are
salinity 1.024
ph is 8.4
alk is 8
nitrate is 0
and those are all the perameters i can test for as of now
Shrinking at night is NORMAL

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it stretches pretty far up ist in the bottom corner of my tank and it’s very sticky and yes it still grabs at food and my clownfish has been leaving it alone at night but it opens during the day and let’s the clownfish in it and should i be feeding it small bits every other day
It sounds fine to me. I don't really feed mine except what it catches when I feed the fish. OK maybe I feed them like once a month or less.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds fine to me. I don't really feed mine except what it catches when I feed the fish. OK maybe I feed them like once a month or less.
ok i was hoping it could just live on the light but i thought if it got this bad it would walk to a better spot

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i was hoping it could just live on the light but i thought if it got this bad it would walk to a better spot
Curious what you mean as this bad...It's colored, bubbled, still sticky and eats. What exactly do you think is wrong with it? They shrink sometimes, they fold up into themselves at times it's just what they do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They need a good balance of light (75% blue and 20-25% white) and moderate flow. If tank is heavy on blue light and dim as in photos, they wont do much. Feed mysis or similar 2-X per week. Water parameters below must be in range also.

Temp 76-79
Salinity 1.025 -/ + 1
PH 8.0-8.3

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you mean as this bad...It's colored, bubbled, still sticky and eats. What exactly do you think is wrong with it? They shrink sometimes, they fold up into themselves at times it's just what they do.
i know i’m talking about it’s color it looks like the color of it went dark it used to be very bright but it’s not very bright anymore i was just wondering if this had to do with lighting or if i had to feed more

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need a good balance of light (75% blue and 20-25% white) and moderate flow. If tank is heavy on blue light and dim as in photos, they wont do much. Feed mysis or similar 2-X per week. Water parameters below must be in range also.

Temp 76-79
Salinity 1.025 -/ + 1
PH 8.0-8.3
ok i’ll try to get up to those levels and that’s my lighting intensity plus it still in the acclamation mode

8A073548-7A69-4DF0-BBB8-0670D02271E8.png

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s called anxiety dude something i have to live with unfortunately and that’s just a tag i put on there not once besides that did i mention it was dying i just wanted to know if it needs more light
You shouldn't expect someone who doesn't suffer from anxiety to understand it. Anxiety and depression are often debilitating, deadly, and usually completely overlooked/ignored by bystanders.

Feel free to ask away, we got your back!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back