Anemone spawning…

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve heard of anemone’s spawning…. Usually the “my tank is cloudy” discussion.

Well, while I was in the kitchen prepping my wife a piece of apple pie I hear her yell, “I… I think, somethings happening.” Sure a very scientific response from a marine biology degree holder.

What she saw, and I only got a quick clip/catch of myself was a egg ball released… and dispersed amongst the tank quickly followed by the puff of cloudy liquid.

Could someone, more knowledgeable than myself, confirm BTA’s release eggs?
56FB9459-8261-47C8-9031-4CC83F291B87.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This is my wife’s xenia tank. She loves the coral and I can’t stand it in my main display.

we have a 40 Nuvo with just anemone’s, xenia, two clowns, a bangaii, and an enormous brittle sea star.

Gets a 10% water change ever 2 weeks along with a Xenia prune. Fish fed daily, anemone/star get target fed a selcon soaked krill once every 3-4 weeks.

A day after a water change, and roughly 18 hours after being fed this thing happened.

Spawning event?

Top Shelf Aquatics

dvgyfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I agree, but I’ve only ever know anemones to split for reproduction.
I’ve had my anemones spawn before , it looks like kalk paste being released under water lol they release larvae and sperm to fertilize, most of it gets caught in filtration but maybe a couple nems will survive , just gotta wait and see!

OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve had my anemones spawn before , it looks like kalk paste being released under water lol they release larvae and sperm to fertilize, most of it gets caught in filtration but maybe a couple nems will survive , just gotta wait and see!
Ha, while this would be cool…. My fish and inverts chowed down on the eggs. Free meal but I would highly doubt anything makes it.

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 189 40.7%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 13 2.8%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 43 9.3%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 204 44.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.2%