Flashlight Fish in Captivity

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them at my preferred local fish store and Diver's Den has them sometimes.
It is a fish with such specialized needs that normal reefers should avoid it and stores should not carry it unless requested by those who have done their homework and set up a special tank for these fish - preferably in a windowless room or even better, basement.
A reef tank is absolutely the wrong place for these fish.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only consider it for my fishroom because for 16 hours a day it is pitch black down there. But I don't think I would do it regardless.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jay Hemdal, been reading up on this topic recently, any other tips regarding transportation/getting them to eat? As well with acclimation? Thanks!
Also are they as sensitive to high nutrients similar to fish like copperbands? And how close to darkness can they tolerate? How many individuals of the species do you think can be housed in a 120?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also are they as sensitive to high nutrients similar to fish like copperbands? And how close to darkness can they tolerate? How many individuals of the species do you think can be housed in a 120?
They are not sensitive to nutrients in the water, just typical parameters for reef fish.
They prefer absolute darkness - in fact, they are collected when there is no moon out, they swim closer to the surface then.
I’ve kept 30 of them in a 200 gallon tank, so at least 15.

Jay

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not sensitive to nutrients in the water, just typical parameters for reef fish.
They prefer absolute darkness - in fact, they are collected when there is no moon out, they swim closer to the surface then.
I’ve kept 30 of them in a 200 gallon tank, so at least 15.

Jay
How long do they typically last in captivity? Also should I treat them like anthias (IE vary stable parameters and 3+ feedings per day) or are they slightly hardier? (Minus the inital transport)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they typically last in captivity?
I’ve kept Photoblepharon for 17+ years. Anomalops for less time, but still greater than 10 years. However, there are high losses early on as they often arrive in poor shape.

Jay

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your Anomalops still retain their photophores after 10 years?

Some did. Because I exhibited these in a public aquarium, we had to add new fish to the existing group, so it is difficult to say which ones were old and which were new.

Photoblepharon are hardier and have brighter lights, but sometimes fight with one another. Getting good quality Anomalops has been a real challenge in recent years. Some public aquariums have given up exhibiting them.

Jay

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some did. Because I exhibited these in a public aquarium, we had to add new fish to the existing group, so it is difficult to say which ones were old and which were new.

Photoblepharon are hardier and have brighter lights, but sometimes fight with one another. Getting good quality Anomalops has been a real challenge in recent years. Some public aquariums have given up exhibiting them.

Jay
What food has the highest success rate? Unfortunately I think Anomalops would be the only species I would be able to aquire due to the scarceity of the import of other species. By the way, how do you acclimate them? If I get them directly from a wholesaler then there would be a build-up of ammonia in the bag I'm pretty sure, which would burn their skin and gills when the bag is opened. Did you have this issue? If so how did you overcome it?

Also are they similar to anthais in sensitivity, difficulty (minus the inital transport of course), temperament and feeding requirements or are they slightly more or less forgiving?

Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food has the highest success rate? Unfortunately I think Anomalops would be the only species I would be able to aquire due to the scarceity of the import of other species. By the way, how do you acclimate them? If I get them directly from a wholesaler then there would be a build-up of ammonia in the bag I'm pretty sure, which would burn their skin and gills when the bag is opened. Did you have this issue? If so how did you overcome it?

Also are they similar to anthais in sensitivity, difficulty (minus the inital transport of course), temperament and feeding requirements or are they slightly more or less forgiving?

Thanks for the advice!
Sometimes, we need to start them on live guppies and live brine shrimp enhanced with Selco. Then, we convert them over to PE mysis and small krill.
Acclimation is pretty standard, you just do it in the dark.
Although they often arrive with flukes, that can be dealt with with praziquantel. Other than that, they are hardier than most types of anthias.
Jay

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, we need to start them on live guppies and live brine shrimp enhanced with Selco. Then, we convert them over to PE mysis and small krill.
Acclimation is pretty standard, you just do it in the dark.
Although they often arrive with flukes, that can be dealt with with praziquantel. Other than that, they are hardier than most types of anthias.
Jay
I do have a massive population of mysis in my current system, if I ever do set up a flashlight fish reef would seeding the tank with said mysis be a good idea or would they not hunt them off the sandbed and rocks? Also you mentioned that they can go a maximum of 3 weeks without eating and retain their lights, though what would be the best way to ensure they're eating without shining a light and disturbing them? Can they be fed once or twice a day or do they need constant feedings?

And lastly do you have any currently/have you kept them outside of public aquaria?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a massive population of mysis in my current system, if I ever do set up a flashlight fish reef would seeding the tank with said mysis be a good idea or would they not hunt them off the sandbed and rocks? Also you mentioned that they can go a maximum of 3 weeks without eating and retain their lights, though what would be the best way to ensure they're eating without shining a light and disturbing them? Can they be fed once or twice a day or do they need constant feedings?

And lastly do you have any currently/have you kept them outside of public aquaria?
Photoblepharon are good at hunting live mysids on the tank bottom, but Anomalops can’t do that - it has to do with their lights, Photoblepharon use their lights like little flashlights, Anomalops use their lights to confuse predators and to signal other flashlight fish, not to see by.

We feed them twice a day, but more frequent, smaller feedings would be better.

I kept an Anomalops in a ten gallon tank for a year or so. It hid under a shell all day long and came out at night. I can’t remember why it died, tank failure I think….almost 40 years ago now.

Jay

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photoblepharon are good at hunting live mysids on the tank bottom, but Anomalops can’t do that - it has to do with their lights, Photoblepharon use their lights like little flashlights, Anomalops use their lights to confuse predators and to signal other flashlight fish, not to see by.

We feed them twice a day, but more frequent, smaller feedings would be better.

I kept an Anomalops in a ten gallon tank for a year or so. It hid under a shell all day long and came out at night. I can’t remember why it died, tank failure I think….almost 40 years ago now.

Jay
So a culture setup would be best for Anomalops live food, got it. I know it's been 40 years but sorry about your anomalops, loosing such an amazing fish can be hard.

Though do they have alot of "personality" like your wrasses and butterflies?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a culture setup would be best for Anomalops live food, got it. I know it's been 40 years but sorry about your anomalops, loosing such an amazing fish can be hard.

Though do they have alot of "personality" like your wrasses and butterflies?
I call these the coolest fish you’ll never really see…..I don’t know if they have personalities or not (grin).
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back