Anemone split!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a bubble tip , they’ll do it if well fed, stressed, or just for the heck of it. Congrats you’ll have 2 for the price of one. Also some varieties of BTA split more readily than others. I’ve had anemones split several times. My most recent one split a few months ago and they hang together with my clowns sleeping in each individual one.
IMG_9405.jpeg

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a bubble tip , they’ll do it if well fed, stressed, or just for the heck of it. Congrats you’ll have 2 for the price of one. Also some varieties of BTA split more readily than others. I’ve had anemones split several times. My most recent one split a few months ago and they hang together with my clowns sleeping in each individual one.
IMG_9405.jpeg
Do they move usually when they split?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they move usually?
I’ve been lucky with this one/now 2. Stayed put and happy. Previous ones stayed put and then traveled. But if you want to have better chance of it staying put , try putting it in a small hole or someplace where it can secure itself. But yeah they can be pretty mobile. I had one be in front on the rocks then disappear one day. Found it in back under a ledge a few months later.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been lucky with this one/now 2. Stayed put and happy. Previous ones stayed put and then traveled. But if you want to have better chance of it staying put , try putting it in a small hole or someplace where it can secure itself. But yeah they can be pretty mobile. I had one be in front on the rocks then disappear one day. Found it in back under a ledge a few months later.
Alright thanks. As soon as I put mine in it stayed put until now. It does not seem too have moved yet so I hope it will stay!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all, I came home today to my rose anemone split. I have no idea what I’m going to to do if it moves. Will it move? And will it cause trouble? @vetteguy53081 @Reefer Matt #r#reefsquadhanks
Camden
They will not generally moved but will inflate and oral disc may look puffy then there are two. There is no time frame when they actually split but should not be bothered during the process until they heal over

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well an update I did not want to happen. The split nem moved to behind the rock close too antoher coral.

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you're doing something right and not to worry; as SteveShuerger said above, they'll split whenever. I had one get caught in the filter intake, then later (it was fine) I found a second one in the filter. A twofer!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had my RBTA split 2 times in 24 days! Both new ones look just like the original and they attached to the rocks right next to the original.

Good luck

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one split into 7, they are all close together, no real wandering
IMG_20240216_113920_BURST001_COVER.jpg
IMG_20240217_104127_1.jpg
IMG_20240120_181014.jpg
7 will turn into 21 and than 50. I just removed 30 from a 40 breeder. There's still about 20 or so left. Started with 1 two yrs ago.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 will turn into 21 and than 50. I just removed 30 from a 40 breeder. There's still about 20 or so left. Started with 1 two yrs ago.
Good grief man! That's incredible. What are you feeding them, some kind of plant blooming fertilizer! :astonished-face:

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to keep in mind, this is a living thing in your tank. Yes they move around. That Nem will travel until it finds a spot it feels safe/secure/protected etc. They can detach and float, but that's unusual in my experience. Normally they will just migrate around on that rock till they find a comfy spot and then settle in.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting anemones in PVC end caps and pressing them down into the sand once they have attached to the end cap has proven to be 99.9% effective for me in keeping anemones happy and staying at home.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences with BTAs is it's not a question of if they'll move it's a question of when. You may have two or three splits and they all hang together then one day someone will decide to get cozy with your favorite coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back