Anemone time?

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 30 gallon nano with a pair of saddleback clownfish in it. So far only softies, but plan to add LPS soon. Tanks been up abt four months. How long should I wait until I add an anemone? I plan to add a few more fish in the the next week. I understand I might need to wait a while. Also, what type of anemone would saddleback clownfish host? Thanks!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 30g, you will be somewhat limited I would try a BTA as your first anemone. Do you have sand?

Also, saddlebacks can be hard on anemones. Make sure it is at least 3 times the size of the largest clown. Honestly, my clowns were hosted by a large kenyan tree for years and was just as fun to watch.

If you have sand, you can try an LTA, but I have not had good luck with those. All others will outgrow the tank quickly.

OP
OP
N

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a sand bed. I’m open to either, but how long should I wait? I know at least until all my fish are added so my levels are stable. But after that can I go right in with a BTA or LTA?

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, if parameters have been stable for a few months, then I'll add an anemone. I added a BTA to my 4 month old tank, which had been stable since month two I think. Nem has been doing awesome for a month now.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, the clowns will do their own thing. They could take months or longer to find the nem. However, saddlebacks do tend to find them faster than say ocellaris or percs.

I would say, look for a nice large nem that is really healthy. Take time to find the right one and you will be ready to have one. If you jump at the first one you see, you are not ready. :)

OP
OP
N

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. For a BTA, would I just put it in the sand bed and let it find its own place? Or do I need to put in in a specific place?

Back