Anemone touching Kenya Tree dangerous?

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a large anemone, and large colony of Neon green Kenya trees, the anemone is under the Kenya trees and I’m concerned if they start fighting the Kenya tree will release leather toxins into the tank.

Should I separate or not worry?

The anemone is being hosted in back left by cinnamon clown. They Kenya Tree and Anemone are both similar colors so bit hard to tell.

IMG_8488.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank (years ago) didn’t do as well with numerous softies touching each other. Difficult to grow Gonis and sps. After separating everything. Everything took off. At least that was my experience. You can’t see or test for toxins so one must be proactive.

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank (years ago) didn’t do as well with numerous softies touching each other. Difficult to grow Gonis and sps. After separating everything. Everything took off. At least that was my experience. You can’t see or test for toxins so one must be proactive.
Bro. Ok so I have an odd issue where I have to do 100g (300g, 60g Sump) water change every 2 weeks, regardless of chemistry. My chemistry is totally fine without water changes. I actually have to dose phosphates and nitrates to keep from zero'ing those out. If I wait 3 weeks, some of my more sensitive corals start to have whiteness/tissue death. I have been trying to figure out what it is.

I don't have any source of rust from ICP tests. I DO have dinos, but mostly under control. I've heard dinos only toxic when theyre on top of or touching edges of coral, that it's not toxins in water to be worried about... I have huge beautiful neon green kenya tree colony shown in photo. The Anemone is not normally touching it. I'm tempted to take out kenya tree and put in a QT and see if it changes anything.

I've also had pretty slow coral growth for a while. I've been blaming on dinos which I've been battling for I think over a year now. I wonder of Kenya tree releasing toxins. It hasn't been touching or near other corals until recently with Anemone, and it's touching some of my mushrooms recently too, but it wasn't touching anything until recently.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also had pretty slow coral growth for a while. I've been blaming on dinos which I've been battling for I think over a year now. I wonder of Kenya tree releasing toxins. It hasn't been touching or near other corals

I've never experienced softies /leathers releasing toxins or I don't know I did which is very possible. If you have the ability to move the Kenya tree maybe do so as and experiment to see if it helps your more sensitive pieces take off?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro. Ok so I have an odd issue where I have to do 100g (300g, 60g Sump) water change every 2 weeks, regardless of chemistry. My chemistry is totally fine without water changes. I actually have to dose phosphates and nitrates to keep from zero'ing those out. If I wait 3 weeks, some of my more sensitive corals start to have whiteness/tissue death. I have been trying to figure out what it is.

I don't have any source of rust from ICP tests. I DO have dinos, but mostly under control. I've heard dinos only toxic when theyre on top of or touching edges of coral, that it's not toxins in water to be worried about... I have huge beautiful neon green kenya tree colony shown in photo. The Anemone is not normally touching it. I'm tempted to take out kenya tree and put in a QT and see if it changes anything.

I've also had pretty slow coral growth for a while. I've been blaming on dinos which I've been battling for I think over a year now. I wonder of Kenya tree releasing toxins. It hasn't been touching or near other corals until recently with Anemone, and it's touching some of my mushrooms recently too, but it wasn't touching anything until recently.
So I have a 180g tank. 12 fish, 4 of them pan size. Lol 3 large Tangs and 1 large Copper band Butterfly. They eat a lot and poop a lot. I could send you some of my water @ 10-20 nitrates. But a simpler more natural solution would be add more fish. I see one Cardinal. ( in photo) How many fish do you have and how often do you feed them?

padilla95624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone will always win the fight with whatever it touches on a regular basis. My experience is that as they grow and split they move around and sting everything you want to keep.

Attachments

• 20230812_144317.jpg
    20230812_144317.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 180g tank. 12 fish, 4 of them pan size. Lol 3 large Tangs and 1 large Copper band Butterfly. They eat a lot and poop a lot. I could send you some of my water @ 10-20 nitrates. But a simpler more natural solution would be add more fish. I see one Cardinal. ( in photo) How many fish do you have and how often do you feed them?
I’ve got around 22 fish in the 360g tank. I’ve been upping feeding a bit lately, and have 4 more fish including one large 5 inch tang in QT. Pretty sure I’ll be be able to stop dosing nitrates and phosphates soon. I just look at it simply as I’ve got more Coral absorption than fish poop, not too far off though :)

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main point was that I don’t have high nutrients so why am I forced to do water changes every 2 weeks or else coral tissue suffers.

My theory is either:
1. Dino toxins
2. Leather toxins

Ya I think I’m thinking about taking the big Kenya tree rock out and make a new QT for it, leave it for like a month or two and see how the tank does. First step though is changing out carbon more often and see if that helps. I currently put one 1lb bag of carbon per month. I’ll up it to once a week and see if it helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back