Anemone VS Gyre

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Last night my anemone went out for a walk. Unfortunaly hé went to my gyre and got injured. Can hé recover or is this a endless job or can it harm my Aquarium?

20191207_092820.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them come back from worse on this site...def get him in a box where he can heal up.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone (gigantea) got sucked into my Gyre literally two days ago. I just pulled it out and moved it back into position (it was still attached to a rock). It's doing fine, just looked like it got a haircut.

As long as you keep an eye on the nem, you can leave it where it is. No need to stress it even further by trying to remove it and moving it into a box. As long as the Gyre didn't chew up the mouth or foot of the nem, it should be fine.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what type of anemone. I've heard & read the horror stories of nems hitting a powerhead and destroying a tankful of inhabitants, but IME at least w/BTAs they aren't as potent if you catch them right away.

Here's a post I made on another thread of a BTA that has survived multiple disasters without any damage to inhabitants.

I have one we refer to as "Komi" as in Kamikaze. This is one of the splits (baby) from my 10 year old BTAs. This guy has tried to do himself in by climbing into an overflow (we found tank cloudy and white one morning) pulled him out put him in our "penalty box" (acclimation box) to recover. After a month of rehab, released him into tank only to find him on the verge of getting ground to pieces in a powerhead - back to the penalty box for more rehab. He's since tried the powerhead assisted suicide but was unsuccessful because it had nem guards but he's rearranged a return nozzle, attempted to cook himself on a heater and literally tortured any small frags I own. Finally moved him to our 65 gal tank where our 2 gold nugget clowns took to him and hound him 24/7 on his own rock. He's been there 4 mos now and has doubled in size and actually resembles a bta (vs the blob of deformed tenacles he looked like previously)

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D-NAK LOL It must have been the moonlight... happened to me a few weeks ago too.

One of my purples wandered into an MP40 and got shredded pretty good. Went from +-8” to +-3” in one day. Filaments hanging out of foot and disk. Not sure how many hours it was sucked in the pump, I walked in and saw a cloudy tank and slimmer going nuts. Tank is a 125 and did a 10 gallon water change 2 days in a row. I put some new white rock into a little area in the front of the tank to kind of pin it in a rock triangle. It was so shredded I almost tossed it. This is a sad 3 week progression. Rock went from white to green in last pic. Nem looks to be recovering.

OP, I’d leave it in a spot that it should do well in, and keep a close eye on it, expecting it to move and be ready for it if it does move. If conditions are good, a chowed anemone should recover.

D5FFE5A5-4F53-4F66-AD04-8F338A3FA913.jpeg 2F0F6E0C-303E-42E2-8AB1-6E60BA90FF23.jpeg FF0F1727-67A3-4A27-B59E-EDBE7D3556AD.jpeg 29892DA7-73FE-424C-8EFA-D38B75758B2D.jpeg BA3D9860-F76F-423E-B7A5-3139EA50F7E0.jpeg 3D5929CA-0106-4EAB-87C3-0E1E48873F17.jpeg F7BE15C0-7DB7-42F4-A8C5-B48EC2626035.jpeg

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitsie, if your tank is stable your anemone should recover. It’s amazing what they can recover from, but your tank should be aged and stable. Aged helps more so than stable, IMO/IME, but stable is key for good recovery. Putting your anemone in a spot that it should do well in normally, it should recover.

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take him out or put him in a hospital tank. They release toxins when they get shredded or die. Not worth the risk.

Thanks for the answer! Unlucky for me i dont have a spare tank ill see what will happen.

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone (gigantea) got sucked into my Gyre literally two days ago. I just pulled it out and moved it back into position (it was still attached to a rock). It's doing fine, just looked like it got a haircut.

As long as you keep an eye on the nem, you can leave it where it is. No need to stress it even further by trying to remove it and moving it into a box. As long as the Gyre didn't chew up the mouth or foot of the nem, it should be fine.

Thanks i leave him alone for now then ;) I think he is fine he can still walk he did not learned anything yet from his mistake

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what type of anemone. I've heard & read the horror stories of nems hitting a powerhead and destroying a tankful of inhabitants, but IME at least w/BTAs they aren't as potent if you catch them right away.

Here's a post I made on another thread of a BTA that has survived multiple disasters without any damage to inhabitants.

I have one we refer to as "Komi" as in Kamikaze. This is one of the splits (baby) from my 10 year old BTAs. This guy has tried to do himself in by climbing into an overflow (we found tank cloudy and white one morning) pulled him out put him in our "penalty box" (acclimation box) to recover. After a month of rehab, released him into tank only to find him on the verge of getting ground to pieces in a powerhead - back to the penalty box for more rehab. He's since tried the powerhead assisted suicide but was unsuccessful because it had nem guards but he's rearranged a return nozzle, attempted to cook himself on a heater and literally tortured any small frags I own. Finally moved him to our 65 gal tank where our 2 gold nugget clowns took to him and hound him 24/7 on his own rock. He's been there 4 mos now and has doubled in size and actually resembles a bta (vs the blob of deformed tenacles he looked like previously)
I Hope mine anemone wont do that lol. It wasn't cloudy so i think i just woke up in time

OP
OP
M

Mitsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitsie, if your tank is stable your anemone should recover. It’s amazing what they can recover from, but your tank should be aged and stable. Aged helps more so than stable, IMO/IME, but stable is key for good recovery. Putting your anemone in a spot that it should do well in normally, it should recover.

I think my tank is stable enough for his recovery. I give it a chance!! Thanks for your reply!

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great! Keep doing what you are doing, it’s looking like it’s on it’s way to recovery. It takes time, and stability. Looking good! Next thing to keep aware of, make sure it’s getting enough light, it’s hard to tell how accurate that picture is though.

Here’s mine too, amazing they can recover from getting so chopped up. It’s been over a month, maybe 2, since mine was attached to the mp40 when I walked in. Recovering pretty good.

FF44A6D3-6241-46C7-A2EA-B40813DA0391.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back