Anemone vs powerhead. Please help!

OP
OP

2tall2do69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get it in some form of hospital tank Even a 5 gallon bucket, that will be best bet for the nem and your DT. And if you plan on owning a Nem I recommend having Cipro on hand because a nem can catch a bacterial infection quick especially when injured. So if you can get some that would be advised but you can do daily water changes for now if you get it in a hospital tank. I wouldn’t give up on it though and would observe it closely and do what you can by what means you have. It looks pretty rough but I’ve seen some pull through that were worse and I’ve had some die with less damage. As long as it reacts to light and attaches itself it’s got a chance. If it starts to look squishy or starts to stink then it’s done
Alright, thank you very much!
If this guy doesn't make it, I doubt I'll be attempting another anemone for a long time. I though I was ready, I'm clearly not.

Drew_E36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this guy doesn't make it, I doubt I'll be attempting another anemone for a long time. I though I was ready, I'm clearly not.
Na man it happens to the best of us you just have to either cover all your danger spots in some way shape or form but that’s not always necessary and also sometimes it still happens that they get caught on something your doing fine brother

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The Nero had one. In the original post, I said I had to slowly coherse it out of the guard. The foot was stuck in the guard, the tentacles went through and got chopped. In the pictures you can see whats left.

I'm just afraid to leave it overnight and have it die and take the whole tank with it.
Add either high grade carbon or chemiPure blue. Will reduce levels of toxins to safe range.
May need to do a good siphoning

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another horror story from Nero. My Nero 5 died less than 2 years out of warranty and they wanted $145 and maybe that was a good thing.

OP
OP

2tall2do69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na man it happens to the best of us you just have to either cover all your danger spots in some way shape or form but that’s not always necessary and also sometimes it still happens that they get caught on something your doing fine brother
If I put it in a bucket, I have a "grow light", its a purple fuge light. Will that due for now? I can pick something better up tomorrow. Also, I should fill the bucket from the tank, because fresh mixed water will stress it more right? Its almost lights out time. So I can move it and keep it dark til tomorrow morning, I wouldn't be able to pick up a light until after work if the fuge light isn't enough

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that your not ready for a nem...just not ready to treat. Plus you can’t control where a nem walks and wonders. Even if you had everything covered and everything at hand some things are just out of your control. I’ve had a nem die to a powerhead that had a nem cover on it..happens. You just learn and use what you learn the next time

Drew_E36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I put it in a bucket, I have a "grow light", its a purple fuge light. Will that due for now? I can pick something better up tomorrow. Also, I should fill the bucket from the tank, because fresh mixed water will stress it more right? Its almost lights out time. So I can move it and keep it dark til tomorrow morning, I wouldn't be able to pick up a light until after work if the fuge light isn't enough
I think I should be fine but I’m not sure for how long with an only purple light but they can live of only direct feeding also

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light doesn’t have to be the power of the sun but try to keep it close to the DT spectrum

OP
OP

2tall2do69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should be fine but I’m not sure for how long with an only purple light but they can live of only direct feeding also
Just checked the light. Its the "Acke full spectrum 12w grow light" on Amazon. Its very purple to the eye.

OP
OP

2tall2do69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to all that helped. Left work early to continue monitoring, but unfortunately it didn't survive. Lesson learned. Even a guard isn't enough. I might attempt another one day.

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Im sure if you try again you will have better success with your new knowledge

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to all that helped. Left work early to continue monitoring, but unfortunately it didn't survive. Lesson learned. Even a guard isn't enough. I might attempt another one day.
Sorry to hear that. I stopped buying them when I realised that their lifespan is over 100 years in the wild.
Didn't seem fair to the animal to keep it in a tank

OP
OP

2tall2do69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I stopped buying them when I realised that their lifespan is over 100 years in the wild.
Didn't seem fair to the animal to keep it in a tank
I had no idea... I didnt know my clowns can push 20+ years either lol.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back