Anemones and Nitrates

Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot of conflicting information regarding anemones and proper nitrate levels lately. I've seen people saying that your levels need to be near zero, while others say they thrive between 20 and 40. I understand that there is no 100% correct answer as everyone has had different experiences, but I'm planning on getting one rather soon, so I'd like to know what your guys' experiences are regarding anemones and nitrates. Mine seem to consistently between 20 and 40, so I'd like to know what to expect. Thank you!

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran a full blown anemone tank, all I focused on was a water change monthly and that was it. Anemone's thrive in dirty water.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My levels vacillate between 10-20 with nitrates, depending on how often I feed and how much. I do not test for phos any more.

When I kept Anemones it was the same range. Most anemones can tolerate a lower nitrate level just fine, and may even benefit from the DOC.

It's more important to let your tank cycle and age before getting an anemone than to worry about a nitrate of 10-20.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates have been over 180 for the past 4 months....finally got down to 80 and I have yet to see any effect on my bta or carpet anemone

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept BTAs in low nitrate and high nitrate tanks...I've put them in systems the very day after I filled filled them with water - before the cycle even started,,,dosing prime...

I've let my salinity wander all over - all that does is make them split.

I don't think I've ever had one die...not even the ones that got sucked into a power head or the one that lived in my overflow for several months...

Eight months ago I added 10 or so nickel sized half dead bleached red and green BTAs to my system...and now I'm wondering what to do with ~40 saucer sized and bigger BTAs taking over my rockwork...

Honestly - they're nicer looking aptasia...the only thing that will take them out - make them shrink and slowly fade is GHA - and even that is not certain.

Ljara78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept BTAs in low nitrate and high nitrate tanks...I've put them in systems the very day after I filled filled them with water - before the cycle even started,,,dosing prime...

I've let my salinity wander all over - all that does is make them split.

I don't think I've ever had one die...not even the ones that got sucked into a power head or the one that lived in my overflow for several months...

Eight months ago I added 10 or so nickel sized half dead bleached red and green BTAs to my system...and now I'm wondering what to do with ~40 saucer sized and bigger BTAs taking over my rockwork...

Honestly - they're nicer looking aptasia...the only thing that will take them out - make them shrink and slowly fade is GHA - and even that is not certain.
what is GHA ?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back