Anemones in bad shape

Buckwilds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in short I have I think now two nems that I'm worried about. The first is one that I think it's trying to commit suicide, it moved under a rock after my bigger nem shifted toward it (both bubble tip, big one is rose this one is green). I am trying to manually move it because he's gotten tiny and sicky looking. In deciding to try to move him I think the other nem had his foot split between two rocks and I think I tore it. I can't tell for sure and I'm not sure what all precautions I should take. In order to save the green how do I go about getting him out from under the rock he's on? Picture is me lifting the rock so you can see them both. And if the foot is ripped on the rose what are the chances of him recovering?
20180714_202336.jpeg

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only justifiable reason to remove the anemone from the rock is if you want to sell it, move it to a different tank, or destroy it. If you want them to recover the best thing to do is let them be, try to get your parameters in order, and watch them carefully. If they start melting or really oozing liquid and you decide to destroy them then you can rip them off the rocks.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with trying to let things remain stable and attempt to let them heal on their own and figure themselves out. E. quadricolor are pretty resilient, but If they become infected then we can discuss treatment options. Keep us updated on how they're looking in the morning.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with trying to let things remain stable and attempt to let them heal on their own and figure themselves out. E. quadricolor are pretty resilient, but If they become infected then we can discuss treatment options. Keep us updated on how they're looking in the morning.
Actually if you don't have the drugs it doesn't hurt to get them and have them on hand now

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if you don't have the drugs it doesn't hurt to get them and have them on hand now

True. If you're keeping anemones it's nice to always have around.
@Buckwilds you'll most likely want Ciprofloxacin. It's pretty inexpensive and a life saver.

OP
OP
Buckwilds

Buckwilds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only justifiable reason to remove the anemone from the rock is if you want to sell it, move it to a different tank, or destroy it. If you want them to recover the best thing to do is let them be, try to get your parameters in order, and watch them carefully. If they start melting or really oozing liquid and you decide to destroy them then you can rip them off the rocks.
The one I circled on the right has been in steady decline for 3 weeks. I was hoping he'd come out on his own but he won't. There is a powerhead back there, the other nem taking up more real estate to the left, and a lack of light or food back there. Even when I manage to get the tweezers in just the right spot he doesn't take the food. I had another green bubble do this to me about a year ago in the same spot and he created a huge ammonia spike. I don't want it to happen to this one.

OP
OP
Buckwilds

Buckwilds

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I possibly need? I have some stuff on hand but no idea if it's what people are going to suggest I use.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I possibly need? I have some stuff on hand but no idea if it's what people are going to suggest I use.
Cipro is the current go to. It's easy to get, not to expensive, and has been tried and proven. Oh and a pill crusher is convenient to use. Also pick up a 10g tank for medicating. That and an air stone or filter. I only use 5g of water, so I can half the dosage I use daily, but a 10g gives you room if you need it. If you aren't mixing your own water get a couple of spare jugs of water. When doing this is best if the water was sitting in the same room for a while, so it's similar temperature. Also you'll need to change the water daily to both keep it clean and redose because the meds break down in light. Speaking of which you also need a light.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back