Anenome's for perculas in a 24G Nano Cube?

menglis2

Nano Cube Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to the reef tank setups even though I have owned numerous aquariums for over 10 years! I was just wondering if anyone knows of a descent sized anenome that my 2 false perculas could host with in my 24 gallon!? Also, I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on a Flame Angel in a reef tank, and which is thought to be a better addition, a Coral Beauty Angel or A Flame Angel? The Flame Angel is much more beatiful but I heard some can be harmul to clams or zooanthids! PLEASE let me know what you think!!!

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there
did you upgrade your lighting to be able to handle a nem?
how established is your tank, how old?
nems need very stable tanks and there is no shortcut for a stable tank
as for the angels, any dwarf angel isnt a very good choice in terms of being reef safe
theyre all known to nip corals, BUT this is also more on a case by case basis
i have heard some dwarf angels being alright in tanks and 2 years down the line just have a craving to nip corals

OP
OP
M

menglis2

Nano Cube Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank fully set up for about three months now and everything seems to be doing okay except for the fact that I have hair algae at the moment. Other than that it is pretty well established. When I made the purchase I made sure to get the deluxe so I have two power compacts putting off 36 watts each, so that puts me at about 3 watts per gallon. Im currently looking for solutions to the hair algae and am in the process of allowing my dwarf hermits to do the work for now, which seems to be working pretty well. I have heard that the Coral Beauties aren't too bad at nipping and I've also heard that, like you said, it is sort of hit and miss.

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a BTA would do alright providing stable water conditions and a healthy specimen to begin with. As far as the dwarf angel goes, IMO you are really gonna be adding to the bioload in your tank which will be a struggle to maintain stable water conditions for the nem. As far as the hair algae goes, check around for mexican turbo snails, they do a great job ;). And btw
:welcome:

Good luck
-Chris

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered an alternative to an anemone? My clowns hosted in my frogspawn without any damage to the coral. The best thing about using a frogspawn vs an anemone is that you can easily frag a frospawn.

OP
OP
M

menglis2

Nano Cube Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help!

Hey Ficklefins, do you know if clowns will host with a frogspawn on a normal basis or did you just get lucky!? I will probably try it anyway to keep away from anenomes because if they don't host they'll be fine and I'll still have a cool coral.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back