Angel fish question

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a large fowlr tank soon and had a question as to the height of the tank. I was looking at 36" options, but as many know the taller the more $$$$$. Does anyone house fully grown angels in 24" tall tanks and if so, what's your experiences? I'm planning on getting a French, which will probably be my largest of the ones i get.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flame has been strongly suggested for our new 24" tank.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame has been strongly suggested for our new 24" tank.

I'm definitely getting a flame i love those, however a French (and the other angels I'm getting) are much larger. They'll probably get around a little less than a foot "tall" and around a foot to foot and a half long.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has a metre of water depth. Yes it's a pain reaching the bottom but in a FO you probably won't need todo that often. However watching a large angelfish swimming vertically upwards is an amazing sight and well worth doing. I found tangs also liked the extra depth.

One of the major benefits of a deep tank is you tend not to get jumpers because by the time they get to the top they are too kna****ed ;)

If you can afford it go for a deep tank.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has a metre of water depth. Yes it's a pain reaching the bottom but in a FO you probably won't need todo that often. However watching a large angelfish swimming vertically upwards is an amazing sight and well worth doing. I found tangs also liked the extra depth.

One of the major benefits of a deep tank is you tend not to get jumpers because by the time they get to the top they are too kna****ed ;)

If you can afford it go for a deep tank.

If i could I'd get a 48 inch i would but the price practically doubles above 36. I'm in a dilemma where saving money will help me with getting a reef up and started lol but I'll probably end bite the bullet and get the 36 because you're right, they look so much better. Besides with a fowlr you rarely have to get to the bottom.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To test out your theory take a large dinner plate and place it on your current tank. That's what a French Angel will look like in a few years. Snorkeling in Mexico and saw a pair AWESOME!

That's awesome! Any pics?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll probably get around a little less than a foot "tall" and around a foot to foot and a half long.

My only experience with adults is seeing one in a public aquarium (Henry Doorly shark tank has one, I think?). I think you are about right in terms of size. Was about 15" long and probably 12" tall.

Good luck with what you choose.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i could I'd get a 48 inch i would but the price practically doubles above 36. I'm in a dilemma where saving money will help me with getting a reef up and started lol but I'll probably end bite the bullet and get the 36 because you're right, they look so much better. Besides with a fowlr you rarely have to get to the bottom.
One of the advantages of a big tank is you can really get in there;)
An old picture of an early rebuild
Tank0006.jpg

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the advantages of a big tank is you can really get in there;)
An old picture of an early rebuild
Tank0006.jpg

You're making me jealous lol if it wasn't for also getting a reef tank I'd be all over that ha

What's that tanks dimensions?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that a reef or fowlr? If reef, how was it to maintain? Lighting? Overall?
I don't want to clog up your thread- I'll start a history/build thread later. Suffice to say the tank started life 20 years ago, it was designed as a reef.
A couple of pictures from the early days
htank1.jpg
htank04.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
24” is fine as angels and many others favor length and width. When scuba diving, I notice many angels and tangs in shallower depths (40-60ft)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back