Angel in 55g Reef?

Katie03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are everyone’s thoughts on Dwarf Angels in a 55g mixed reef? Specifically looking at Bicolor Angels, but Coral Beauty’s or flames could possibly be options if there’s no chance the Bicolor could work.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried more than once to get a bicolor to live...no luck.

Coral beauty adults seem to be a little smaller and a little less aggressive. I would choose that one. Of course, it's a slight risk in a reef.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen the Bicolor often cited as highly likely to pick at corals, they also get bigger than most other dwarfs. A 55 is at the lower end for a dwarf, so I would suggest the coral beauty, flame, or a smaller one like the African flame back (which is now captive bred and has blue and yellow like the bicolor).

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mid sized lemonpeel for about a month and a half in my 55 before my tank was destroyed by velvet. That angel was a total jerk initially, but settled down after a while to be a mild nuisance. Mind you that was only a month and a half.

AlexAbel197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had angels that size live fine in tanks that small, but i always had in mind moving him over to my friends large reef if he ever were to outgrow the tank.

OP
OP
Katie03

Katie03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should’ve added that with the Bicolor, I would have a spare 55 to move it to if the need occurred. Also, if I felt as if it was outgrowing the space, I would upgrade to a 75g-120g as soon as I fix up my basement. Is it worth a shot or should I avoid the Bicolor altogether?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your tank? If it’s at least 3 foot long, you could do any of the pygmy angels or the dwarf angels that get to 4”. The pygmy angels would be Atlantic Cherub, Pacific Pygmy (Yellowtail), African Flameback, Brazilian Flameback, and Fisher’s. The 4” ones would be Flame, Coral Beauty, Rusty, Shepard’s, Multicolor I think. I think Joculator gets to 4.5”, Multibar gets to 4.5” and is a very difficult fish, the rest get to 5” or larger.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back