Angelfish not doing good

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a coral beauty from my lfs 2 weeks ago and it ate at the store. I brought it home and for a week it was doing good, then a few days ago it looked like it has a fungal infection. I started to treat it with melafix on Sunday, but today it was just resting itself on a rock, laying on it. What should I do now?
Thanks as always

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a coral beauty from my lfs 2 weeks ago and it ate at the store. I brought it home and for a week it was doing good, then a few days ago it looked like it has a fungal infection. I started to treat it with melafix on Sunday, but today it was just resting itself on a rock, laying on it. What should I do now?
Thanks as always
Send pics immediately. Are you sure of it being fungal and not a weird look of velvet as I had a velvet outbreak and my coral beauty looked like it had a fungal infection but it was actually velvet? Send pics and maybe time for a water change. If that does not help perhaps say your goodbyes.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On its body towards its tail, it had a white cottony blotch on it, but I can’t tell today because it is hiding

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You may be describing lympho and associated with water quality
Please advise on following values:
Ammonia
Nitrate
Temp
Salinity
Ph
Foods you are offering

rather than melafix, I’d be more apt to use formalin based meds such as general cure or ruby pro which treats secondary infections

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I hope it survives until I can do something after school

To be honest, once a fish becomes "moribund" (unable to swim properly) it becomes very difficult to bring it back from that point. Damage control becomes critical - what other fish are in the tank with it? As others mentioned, a picture helps, but even better would be a Youtube video link. The reason why is we want to get an idea as to the fish's respiration rate, and I can get that from a video.

Melafix is more of a "tonic" than a cure for serious disease issues.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pimafix is just bay leaf oil, I would not use it. The rapid breathing is key here. That stems from some sort of systemic infection. It could be bacterial (based on the "fungal" symptoms you gave) or more likely, it is protozoal. If the latter, it is probably Amyloodinium (velvet). This causes rapid breathing and a haze or dust to the fish's skin. It is a very fast acting disease, and fish death occurs often within a day or so of the symptoms being noticed. You can try to do a 5 minute FW dip to buy a little time, but ultimately, without a dedicated treatment tank, there isn't much else you can do.

I hate to add this, but your screen name is 14g Nano - if that is the tank the coral beauty is in, it is a pretty small tank for that species. It can be done, just that it is a bit more difficult, especially if the tank has a lot of rock in it.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wondered the same- if it were tank size

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back